• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mdf

Occassionally I'll use a waste block to utilize the full depth of a piece of wood. I made up a bunch of blocks a few years ago and the other day found they were all gone. Thought I'd try Medium Density Fiberboard since I had some on hand. DON'T! I should have known better. It worked well for awhile, then when hollowing the bowl the MDF sheared apart (like layers of paper) and threw the bowl across the shop! That's the sole message of this post: DO NOT USE MDF FOR WASTE BLOCKS!
Dale:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I will second that. Do not use MDF for waste blocks. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I use poplar as much as I can.

Website
www.picturetrail.com
I third that.
I used MDF on a set of cole jaws some years ago as per a tutorial I followed. It caused a broken arm requiring a steel pate and six screws .
MDF has its place for some jigs anf stationery things but DO NOT use it on a lathe or anything that spins.

BTW. I have not been here for quite a while but have been a member here for many years . Busy with my own Woodworking Friends site as well as visiting a few other "regulars"

I came here looking for the segmeted turners address . I believe it is a part of this site ?

Website
www.picturetrail.com
Bill,
Look here: http://www.segmentedwoodturners.org/ for the segmented turners.

Thanks Kurt.
I also got a PM from a member with the address to it and I have already joined. I was not sure if it required a searate registration from this one and it did. I have also paid for full membership there and awaiting approval to have full access. .

Yea, mdf isn't really the best thing to use as a waste block. MDF has its place making jigs for shop use but the lathe is not reccomended. For dummies like me this should be placed in big red letters someplace visible.

Website
www.thewoodspinnershoppe.com
Actually, I use MDF for the bases of my home made Vacuum chucks. I get away with it since the vacuum is pulling the piece up against the MDF (which is mounted on a faceplate) and turn slow (both speed & feed.)

Its also good for making a power honing wheel, again running slowly.

It does have some use, although I totally agree with not using it for waste blocks.

Cheers,

MDF Vacuum and jamb chucks

I too have made vacuum and jamb chucks out of MDF. It helps to harden the threads with some thin CA and then run the tap through again.

If you make vacuum chucks from MDF you must sel it well. It is very permeable to air.

Don Geiger

Occassionally I'll use a waste block to utilize the full depth of a piece of wood. I made up a bunch of blocks a few years ago and the other day found they were all gone. Thought I'd try Medium Density Fiberboard since I had some on hand. DON'T! I should have known better. It worked well for awhile, then when hollowing the bowl the MDF sheared apart (like layers of paper) and threw the bowl across the shop! That's the sole message of this post: DO NOT USE MDF FOR WASTE BLOCKS!
Dale:
You didn't happen to yell "Pull." before it shot across the shop did you? All kidding aside. I used MDF once. Only once.

Website
www.picturetrail.com
I would not have MDF, particle board in my shop...they are disasters waiting to happen!!!!:eek::eek:

I recently got a couple DVD's from Malcolm Tibbetts on segmentation . Excellent videos. (4 hours of viewing) on my new blue ray player on the wide screen TV.
He uses a lot of MDF for jigs and such so it does have its place in a shop if used with discretion . I sure wouldn't use it for anything that spins fast on the lathe anymore though.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
I use MDF disks a lot when I flatten segmented rings. A few hot melt glue spots and they stay on fine for flattening. Then, when removing them, sometimes a bit of MDF comes with it. But like others have said, for anything else, forget it.

MDF or mdf?

I think it's fair to say that, as in life, there's mdf & mdf ;)

There are different grades and they don't all have the same properties.

Take a look at this spec for MDF...
http://www.flakeboard.com/specs/ANSI%20A208.2-2002%20MDF.pdf

The internal bond strength range, which I think is the main "gripe" here, is over 3:1 for common MDF and if you consider thinner panels it can go higher.

I use thicker MDF for jigs and try to get the densest available, on the basis that I think it'll be strongest. A quick check for hardness with a finger nail on the sides is a quick indicator too.

I hope this helps
Jon

Back