• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mitre sled for table saw

I want to do some segmented turning. I know I will need an accurate mitre sled for cutting the segments. What I DON"T know is which one is the best of what plans I have seen out there. If I have to make one I surely want it to do what it is intended to do. Any suggestions as to a soecific plan?

Thanks to all that respond!

Welcome to the forum
Check your email. I sent a plan that might work for you.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Al I will try and post a photo of my sled friday. I have to be of town tonight and can't take a photo. My sled is similar to the one above but the miter guides are adjustable. I put brass pins on the back of the sled and on the miter gauge so that I can measure this distance with a long vernier caliper for repeatable settings. I do have to set it once by trial and error for each segment angle but once I have that I can go back and reset it. This allows me to do different angles accurately.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Here is my miter sled. The left hand jig is for the actual miter. It is adjustable and has a fine tuning adjuster. The right hand jig is adjustable for size and angle of the cut off piece. I plan to put a hold down device but so far a pencil with an eraser on the end has worked just fine.
On the detail shot you can see the fine tuning mechanism. I have installed 2 brass pins. I measure the distance between these pins once I've fine tuned the angle for perfect cuts. Then I write this distance down so I can repeat that angle if ever needed. I've built several sleds over the years and this one is my most accurate so far. I have cut 36 sided segments with this.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
oops photos didn't post.

Attachments

• miter-jig.jpg
    miter-jig.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 79
  • miter-jig-detail.jpg
    miter-jig-detail.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 63
Website
www.digitalwinners.com
There are a lot of good designs out there. I tried several iterations with adjustable fences, and was disappointed with repeatability. I am sure I could have tweaked them more, but since they are made from scrap wood anyway, I figured I might as well just make several sleds. Once I had them tuned up, and angles right, I screwed the fence down to the sled where it would stay rock solid. I have sleds for 8, 10, and 16 segments. Here's how mine looks LINK

Hey, John, where'd you get that blade? It looks like a meat slicing blade (it's that thin is it?) and how do you stabilize it?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
George That's a thin kerf blade. I don't usually use that one for segmented work but it works great when I do use it for that. The thin cut takes less power so if you feed at the proper rate it actually gives me a better cut than my thicker blades. I've never had a really high quality blade. My local guy sharpens things so well I just keep using these.

Back