• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mold/Mildew

Don't know the difference. The point is, last night I rough turned a bowl set. Covered with Anchor Seal. This morning there are spots on it. I tried to wipe off but it appears that they are under the coating.
Will these ruin the bowl. Should I take measures to turn off another layer now, or just deal with it at finish turn.

Does it grow deep? The big bowl is 16 inches so ~1.5+ thick wall now. Plenty of wood to take off at finish if this stuff doesn't grow deep.

Thanks

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Don't know the difference. The point is, last night I rough turned a bowl set. Covered with Anchor Seal. This morning there are spots on it. I tried to wipe off but it appears that they are under the coating.
Will these ruin the bowl. Should I take measures to turn off another layer now, or just deal with it at finish turn.

Does it grow deep? The big bowl is 16 inches so ~1.5+ thick wall now. Plenty of wood to take off at finish if this stuff doesn't grow deep.

Thanks

Brian........I think mold and mildew are the same thing......or closely related.

When I get mildew on roughed bowls, I've found that it's usually on the surface, and can be removed with a return to the lathe and taking off a thin layer of the bowl thickness. Since making roughed bowls thinner can lead to other problems you don't want, you might just leave the bowl as it is for now and monitor the moisture content. The mildew won't be a problem once the MC is lower than around 18-20 percent, or so. The moisture content will be reduced significantly during the first couple months of seasoning........then return to the lathe and take a thin slice off the thickness of the roughed bowl. You only want to remove enough to get rid of the problem......so don't overdo it! If the moisture content is at a level that won't support mildew growth, then you've solved the issue.......not an exact science, so continue to monitor, and return to the lathe, if necessary.

Be sure to re-anchorseal the new exposed surface on your roughed bowl.

ooc

Back