My kiln build

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Turpin, Oct 30, 2017.

1. John Turpin

John Turpin

A few months ago, I began work on a dedicated bowl turning studio in my backyard. I've been thinking about this project for a year, but broke ground on it just recently. The building is 11' X 14' and is attached to my existing (tiny) 12' X 18' workshop. Planning for this build has been great fun. (Planning for the costs has been quite depressing.)

One of my requirements for this building is a bowl blank kiln--well, more of a drying closet--but to impress people I'm calling it a kiln. I'll post a photo now and then to show the process and the decisions I've made. When doing my research, I learned quickly that these things are sort of a lightning rod for turners. Depending on the turner, they are loved, mocked, valuable, dangerous, vital, worthless and certainly not as good as a paper bag. But, I decided to build one anyway.

The little closet is about 24" X 38" X 7' (inside dimensions). I'll get to the more glamorous insulation and heating technology later, but I'll start with the drip pan. Guys like Glenn Lucas have a steady stream of water running out of their kilns. I'll never dry that many blanks, but I decided to plan for a wet environment anyway. This weekend, I made sort of a removable 'drip pan' that will sit in the bottom. It is sloped toward one corner and a tube will be there to route water out the wall. Unless I put a bottle outside to collect drips, it might be a good spot for visiting raccoons to get a sip of woody water. The pan has been sealed with a coat of marine epoxy.

kiln1.jpg kiln2.jpg kiln3.jpg kiln4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  2. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

I like this--- I am curious about what you will use for walls and heat??
    I am also curious about the size--- why not bigger?

3. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I think that you should consider putting Formica laminate on the walls, ceiling, and maybe floor because it will be humid and it will be easier to clean up and keep mold from becoming a part of the kiln if porous surfaces like wood and insulation are exposed to that environment.

Maybe also put in a bench so that it could be used as a sauna when not being used as a kiln. :D

4. John Turpin

John Turpin

Hi Tom. As for size, I'm pretty squeezed for space already. Hmmm. Maybe I need a second story. [thinking] As for those details, watch this space.

I hadn't thought about mold. That would be pretty crummy. I think I'm going to start with foil clad insulation panels first. But, I'll make them removable so I can pull them off after a while and check on that mold business. Hopefully the circulating fan and ventilation will keep that at bay. If not, I'll line it with something slick and plastic.

I like Idea Men. Why stop there? Why not just smoke briskets in there too?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  5. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    I think you are spending more that me. I found a broken, about the same size as yours, glass door refrigerator. Cindy Drozda gave some input, and I have a great kiln. I dont have to open it to see how things are going, or to see the hydrometer. I finally settled on a heavy duty 15 watts bulb, used for ovens... How fun to plan a new shop! Aloha

John Turpin and charlie knighton like this.
  6. john lucas

john lucas

I have a friend that just picks up broken dish washers. Drills some holes in them and then uses different size light bulbs to regulate the heat. He had 3 last time I visited and they are all in various stages of drying. this allows him to turn bowls over pretty quickly. I've also seen it done with old refrigerators. I've been thinking about just using junk cars. That way my yard would look more like my neighbors. :)

7. odie

odie

Hi Emiliano......:D

How does that work? Do you use a hydrometer to determine the MC of your roughed bowls? I'm so dumb about kilns, that I had to look it up:
    -----odie-----

8. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

A hydrometer is what we use to check sugar content when boiling down the maple sap to make syrup.

You'll want to use a plain old Moisture Meter for checking wood moisture content.

9. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    I'm sure that he meant hygrometer ... an instrument to measure humidity. Just a spelling error, but context should clue the reader as to what was meant. The humidity of a kiln needs to be carefully regulated.

BTW, I used a hydrometer back in my vintner days to check the sugar level of the grapes.

odie likes this.
  10. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

Well, speaking for my own ignorance, I did not know what a hygrometer was until now-- so in this case the "context" left me clueless.

11. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    Thanks Bill for the correction, sorry for the confusion, lol. Its a little thing I got from Amazon, tells you the humidity and temperature. Its a guessing game at first, depending on the size of the holes, and size of the light bulb. I finally got success with 2 holes on the bottom, 1 1/4 each, and 2 on the top. And the oven light bulb, the lowest one they had.In 3 weeks I have the blanks for the boxes down to 10 %, so, super dry for Maui, then goes back up to 12.4 once out of the kiln.. Unlike Kelly Dunn, I do not place my Koa bowls in there, they go down to the gallery with 12.4 MC.... Aloha

12. John Turpin

John Turpin

I spent most of the day in closets. My new studio will have a "noise" closet that will house my noisy dust collection system and air compressor. And, of course, there's the kiln closet that's the subject of this thread. After a pre-sunrise run to the big box store for sheet rock and insulation panels, I started insulating. I envisioned this taking an hour or so. It took more like eight hours. But, the kiln now has 3 1/2" of pink stuff and another 1/2" of foil-backed rigid foam. Next, I'll be tackling the shelves.
    20171104_144221.jpg 20171104_152715.jpg

charlie knighton likes this.
  13. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Don't forget that you will need a thermostat to regulate the temperature. Otherwise, it will become an oven. A small fan to keep the air moving would be a good thing to have. Whatever you use for a door needs to have a tight seal.

14. John Turpin

John Turpin

Great points, Bill. I'm using the same stuff (mostly) that Sam Angelo did in his kiln build. I don't have working electricity yet, but have the thermo and monitoring devices sitting there waiting to go in. But first, I need shelves. I was going to use that plastic/wood material that they make decks out of. But instead, I think I'll just put in movable/removable cedar slats. Cedar should do pretty well in that environment.