My PM350B Slow Speed Attachment

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Raul McCai, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Raul McCai

Raul McCai

It's an old dayton salvage gear-motor upon which I fastened a little shaft I made that has grooves cut in it for sewing machine bobbin o-ring drive rubbers

http://youtu.be/knvUo5JdGPs

I set the "tension" on the lathe hand wheel by first cutting the two pieces of lumber to size and then I take advantage of the little bit of slop in the sandwich of steel plates that attach it to the ways. I can change the speed using a Router Motor speed control. With this little gizmo I can get all the way down to a mere few RPM; so low the lathe can't register it on its headstock sensor.

2. odie

odie

Looks like a very good job, Raul.....

I really enjoy seeing how other turners get creative and innovative.

So, tell us......what do you use this super slow speed for?

My Minarik controller coupled to Leeson 1 1/2hp DC motor gets down to approximately that slow, but there is no torque at all. For random orbital sanding, I use about 25rpm, but to go as slow as you do would be better.

ko

3. Raul McCai

Raul McCai

Aside from self hypnosis: sanding, applying finish - - today I used it to rotate that bowl to apply pentracyl.
    That little gear motor has some serious torque so the friction between the o-rings and the hand wheel is the limiting factor.