• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My PM350B Slow Speed Attachment

It's an old dayton salvage gear-motor upon which I fastened a little shaft I made that has grooves cut in it for sewing machine bobbin o-ring drive rubbers

http://youtu.be/knvUo5JdGPs

I set the "tension" on the lathe hand wheel by first cutting the two pieces of lumber to size and then I take advantage of the little bit of slop in the sandwich of steel plates that attach it to the ways. I can change the speed using a Router Motor speed control. With this little gizmo I can get all the way down to a mere few RPM; so low the lathe can't register it on its headstock sensor.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Looks like a very good job, Raul.....

I really enjoy seeing how other turners get creative and innovative.

So, tell us......what do you use this super slow speed for?

My Minarik controller coupled to Leeson 1 1/2hp DC motor gets down to approximately that slow, but there is no torque at all. For random orbital sanding, I use about 25rpm, but to go as slow as you do would be better.

ko

what do you use this super slow speed for?

Aside from self hypnosis: sanding, applying finish - - today I used it to rotate that bowl to apply pentracyl.
That little gear motor has some serious torque so the friction between the o-rings and the hand wheel is the limiting factor.

Back