• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My wood pile

Any ideas on how to best protect my "stash" of logs and bowl blanks sitting outside under the trees? Much of this wood came to me after the hurricane last year. I have been keeping a tarp over it and sprayed for bugs with Sevin. Should I do more? All ideas appreciated. Phil

Coating the end grain of the logs with Anchorseal is a good idea.

And unless you want the wood to spalt, I suggest getting them off the ground a bit. I have several cherry logs straddling a pair or stacked cinderblocks. The top of the wood pile is covered with a tarp (like yours) to keep the rain and sun off, but still allow airflow. Thats the big thing. Allow some air to get around them.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I put mine on top of pallets that are sitting on cinder blocks. This keeps it off of the ground so ground bug can't get to it and the cinder blocks (or pavers ) keep the pallet from rotting.

Watch out when spraying for bugs. Remember, you're going to turn that wood into dust that you're going to breath. Yum!

Just a thought.
Dietrich

OK, I understand tht the wood should sealed and supported off the ground
and protected from the elements. Pracically, what do I do. 2X4 or 4X4
headers suppoted by 4 or 6 cinder blocks Tarp over the pile. If so, how
do I provide air circulation? Do I need to build/erect a shed type of strructure
Please help me with the the design. Peter in nj

wood pile

I built a platform on the back of my tool shead. It is raised 3 feet off the ground and has a slatted floor made on 5/4 salt treat boards. It has a steel roof to keep the rain off.

I just seal the end of my wood and stack it on the platform. Like Phil after Isabel I have loads of wood.

Back