• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Advice

I have decided that I would like to get involved in woodturning. My specific interest is in Pen making and other small items. I am in the process of collecting information on mini- and midi- size lathes. I have come across the Delta Midi-lathe and the JET Mini-Lathe. They seem very similar in their capabilities. The Jet model is slightly less expensive. I am open to other suggestions about other lathes and would like to know if anyone has had experience with the Delta or JET and what the pros and cons are for them. Have there been any performance comparisions carried out? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Greenhorn
There are two more worth looking at. The Fische lathe and the Carbo-tec. The Fische is very similar to the Jet and Delta but it's a little easier to change the belts. The Carbo-tec is smaller but a very solid performer. Of the 4 the Jet has been the most popular. I'm not sure why other than availability and maybe advertising. I think word of mouth advertising has had a lot to do with it. There are a lot of people on the net using them and they are all happy with them.
I've spent a lot of hours on the jet and Fishce doing demo's and I own a Carbo-tec. Of those 3 I would probably go with either the variable speed jet (about $300) or the single speed Jet (about $200). The single speed jet actually has 6 speeds but you have to manually change them which is easy and not done very often if your turning small items. I like the Carbo-tec because it's easy to lift out of the trunk of a car and light enough to transport a good ways if I have to when I do demo's .

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
I have been using the original Jet mini for almost a year without any problems so would recommend it without hesitation. I have recently decommissioned and put it up for sale since upgrading to the Jet JWL-1642-2.

From what I have been reading, the sale price on the Jet is about to disappear. So if you are leaning toward the Jet, you might want to move quickly.

Good luck with your new venture and be careful -- it is intoxicating and addictive.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The Jet, Fisch, and Delta are very similar. Unless you have a preference for white, blue, or grey, go for the one you get the best deal on.

I own the Fisch because I got the best price on it. It has as John says the easiest belt change and I think an inch more length capaticty. I only use this machine for Demos. It does a great job on 8" natural edge bowls and other small items. Many of our club demos have a Fisch, Jet, and Delta running side byt side and other than the color there isn't much difference.

The Jet at $200 makes it worth taking an extra 20 seconds to change the belt positon a whole bunch of times.

You might check the Variable speed version of the Jet. As I understand it the lowest speed is 500rpm which is sort of fast for some things but slow enough to sand without excessive heat and paper clogging. If you plan to do a lot of pens you might find it worth the $100 more to be able to dial down from turning speed to sanding/finishing speed.

Happy Turning,
Al

Last edited:
Delta Midi

I bought a Delta Midi a year ago, just before Jet came out with the variable speed model. I have been very happy and I am sure it has several hundred hours it, with no mechanical downtime. At times I wish I had the Jet VS but truth is it only takes a few seconds to change speeds now and I rarely need to do it on any one project. At club meetings I have used both the Jet and the Delta, couldn't tell you any advantage of one over the other.

Actually you will rapidly find that the initial lathe is the cheapest part of woodturning anyway. The chuck I bought for it cost almost as much as the lathe, plus about 4-5 good lathe tools will cost more than the lathe. Then there is the cost of pen spindles, pen press, drill chuck, better tool rests, and dozens of other items that you will just "have" to buy. If the big companies like Woodcraft and Craft Supplies were smart they would randomly give lathes away to woodworkers, I am sure that they would make their money back on accessories sales!

I thought when I bought the midi it would do all that I wanted. I have made lots of pens, bottle stoppers, kaliedoscopes, and all those other small projects. Then I tried to turn some bowls and really found it to be much more a challengs and therefore more enjoyable. I have rapidly outgrown the midi in size and ability to control slow speed. I hope this fall to upgrade to a bigger (and more $$$) lathe, but I still won't part with the midi.

Have fun, Ray

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Delta Midi

I have the Delta Midi for demos and like this lathe for that purpose. I have a Oneway 1016 as my main lathe for spindle work. I taped a local TV show showing how to turn a small bowl and just before the taping was to begin I realized that it was set too fast. I quickly changed speeds by moving the belt, but when I retightened the lever, which is plastic, I snapped it off. :( It was still too fast, so I grabbed a small crescent wrench and managed to use that in place of the lever.

Someone told me that the corresponding lever on the Jet is metal. If so, I think I would go with the Jet. Right now on Amazon.com the Jet is about $200 with no tax and free shipping. This price will probably disappear as the supply runs out.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Go with the Jet, Greenhorn.

The Fische isn't a quality machine. I know of more than one retailer/distributor that has dropped it because of quality problems. I also know of more than one new owner that has tried to sell it because of it too.

The Delta is a very close twin of the Jet but it suffers from quality problems too. Much of it has to do with the plastic handles and spindle runout, and fit-finish issues. If you couldn't get the Jet, this would be fine but just be aware of not stressing it too much.

The Carba-tec lathe is a quality machine. It's also smaller in every way (swing, motor, spindle, toolrest, all components. This is either good or bad depending on what you may want to do with it someday. If it's ONLY pen making and maybe very small (3") boxes, then it should serve you well for that purpose. Don't expect to stress it much at all. The quality is there but the components are too small to handle much abuse at all.

Personally, of the Electronic Variable Speed and non-EVS Jet Mini models, I much prefer the non-EVS model. The EVS model is way underpowered as compared to the other. Just for pens, either is fine. But if you want to do some larger projects eventually, get the non-EVS model if you can. Otherwise, the two models are identical. Nice, quality machines that will last.

- Andrew

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Delta Midi

Today was my vacation. I have just returned from the Roanoke Woodcraft where some friends are employed. We removed the lever that secures the belt tension on a Delta Midi and on a Jet Mini-lathe. They are not the same thread. One is fine and the other is coarse, so the parts are NOT interchangeable.

But, the good news is that Woodcraft had a replacement part for the Delta at a price of $4.25. That levels the playing field a bit. :D

I suspect that one could get an Allen screw that matches the thread and function of the part just mentioned. That actually might be a preferable solution to the problem. I find the spring levers to be annoying.

Delta Midi Spring Levers

Good though about getting an allen set screw to fit in the hole for the belt tension lever. I also get annoyed by that platic spring lever because you can not turn it far enough without playing with the spring part. I really don't need to change the speed all that often but I may replace it when I can find the right size allen screw. I would also get a dedicated allen wrench with a "T" handle to leave next to it, installed in a small hole on the lathe stand. I believe it is the same screw size that is on the tool rest adjustment, and that gets moved a lot of course. I tend to under-tighten that one for fear of breaking that handle like I read about. Using an allen set screw and then being able to remove the handle would be much better.

Good solution that that I had not thought of, another reason why I read this forum!

Off to the hardware store (like I needed an excuse?), Ray

I bought the Delta and a friend bought the Jet. The only difference in favor of the delta is changing speeds is done from the front. I hope this helps,
Jim :cool2:

I agree with jbell. I own a Jet mini and it is a PITA to change speeds. If I were doing it again I believe I would buy the Delta Midi.

Terry

Another choice?

Perhaps there is another choice if you are "monitarily challenged." Both Jet and Delta make very good mini lathes but so does Grizzly. True, it's not made in America but I have had very good support from Grizzly. If you so desire, take a look at Grizzly's G9247.

Next question: Are you sure you want a mini lathe? It may be that you don't have room for a larger lathe. If you plan to begin by turning pens, pencils, and other small pieces those can be turned on a larger lathe; I turn pens and Christmas tree ornaments on a 15" x 48" lathe.

Buy what you think to be the best lathe you can afford because, if you are as the bulk of us, then sometime in the future you'll want to turn larger pieces. If you can afford a 3520a and have sufficent shop space for it, go for it.

Back