• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need help w Powermatic Model 90 lathe

Hi-
New to forum. Just acquired this and the VS sleeve which moves the VS sheave seems to be stuck.

Also researching how I am going to power this things. Head is swimming w those that have bypassed the reeves w a VFD, what is best way to take my single phase 220 V incoming to 3 phase to power the motor (1 HP Leeson 3 ph)?

Any assistance? Pitfalls? Lessons learned?

Thanks in advance;

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I repaired one not long ago. I found the parts list I think on this site. http://www.owwm.org/ Took some searching. Odds are it just need some dissassembly and cleaning to get the Reeves drive working correctly. You can purchase Variable Frequency Drives to power the motor. They run from about $200 on up depending on what you get. The trick is getting one that matches the motor. Others may be able to help you with this.

Hi Ed,
To move the reeves drive the spindle needs to be turning. I am guessing that if you don't have 3 phase power then the motor is not turning. You may be able to turn the spindle by hand with your left hand and change the position of the reeves drive with your right hand while you spin the spindle. I do this when I forget to reduce the speed to low before shutting mine off and then mount something that needs to start off slow.

Good luck,
Dan

Variable speed drives

Hi-
New to forum. Just acquired this and the VS sleeve which moves the VS sheave seems to be stuck.

Also researching how I am going to power this things. Head is swimming w those that have bypassed the reeves w a VFD, what is best way to take my single phase 220 V incoming to 3 phase to power the motor (1 HP Leeson 3 ph)?

Thanks in advance;

Ed

For VFD's look to Automationdirect.com. They have a variety of drives and customer assistance. I bought the GS1 about 5 years ago, and no problem. Cost <125.00

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi-

Thanks in advance;

Ed

Just get a new single phase motor. You'll spend more on an inverter and the original motor isn't rated for inverter duty. Insulation class is probably B on the old motor and you really would need a modern design motor that can withstand the harsh high voltage spikes when driven by an inverter.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've never done this but have looked into it. You can drive the 3 phase motor using another single phase motor to create the 3rd phase. My neighbors do that to drive a metal lathe. You can find instructions on how to do this on the web

Ed
I have the same lathe set up as you and converted it to single phase 220 with a VFD about 4 years ago.. Ill check tonight at home and get manufacturer and model #. I believe it is an Allen Bradley and it will handle a 1 HP to 2HP 3 phase motor. The conversion was painless and works great. Jeff

Back