• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need motor for Rockwell 46-111

Hi all, I'm a new addition here. I found this sight while trying to search for a motor. An old Rockwell 46-111 Lathe was given to me for free, SWEET DEAL. But there's always a catch. The motor the guy had on it did not fit correctly in the brackets, so he had it rigged up, and it also turned the wrong way! I thought it was weird when the Tool Rest was on the wrong side.

Does anyone know where I could get the right motor for it? I have the original manual and it says it could use motor 62-142 or 62-134. I can't find these motors anywhere now. Any suggestions or directions?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Those are Delta/Rockwell part numbers and the only place that there is a chance of finding a new one would be from Delta -- and that would be remote. There is a very slim chance that you might find one on eBay. Ask Delta if they can provide an outline drawing with some engineering data and you might be able to find a suitable substitute, but more than likely, it will require the service of a motor rebuilding shop or a machine shop to make a suitable mounting bracket along with any special shaft length and keyway dimension changes that the motor needs. Barring that, you can get a general purpose replacement motor that can be jumpered to set the direction of rotation. Mounting brackets are also available to fit a variety of configurations. Look at the cost of making all of the necessary changes to determine if it is worth the expense because it is easy to run up a tab that is worth more than the entire machine.

Bill

Last edited:
NEMA 56 Frame, if you have the standard motor mount. Get 1725 rpm and I'd say 3/4 HP would do. Mine was a half horse (134). Be sure and measure your lower sheave first, to make sure you get proper shaft size. At 1/2 HP, might run into a 1/2" shaft.

A friend of mine found a 3/4 HP motor for his Rockwell Delta on eBay. You might be able to find one there also.

But it's no problem to buy a standard motor from a good motor shop.

You sure you can't rewire the motor to spin the correct direction? Many of these motors can run either way.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If it is a capacitor start motor, then it can be rewired to reverse direction by swapping the leads of the start winding WRT the run winding. But, unless you really know what you are doing, take it to a motor shop and let them do it. It is a very simple job for the experienced, but may take up to a couple hours depending upon accessibility to both ends of the start winding leads. Also, just any old insulated wire is not good enough -- it will need to be flexible multistranded tinned wire with insulation (such as Kapton) rated to at least 165 deg. C. Typical wire that you find at an auto parts store is usually rated to either 85 or 105 deg. C.

Bill

Thanks for all the replies, awsome! I'm going to take the motor to our maintenance guys at work, maybe they can figure out a way to flip it. The cover that's over the wires does not have a wire diagram, not that it would matter; there are only two posts inside. I could switch those wires, but I'd rather not mess with it.

I also searched ebay and found a 1/2 horse with the 5/8 keyed shaft I need. The dimensions sound like it will hang off the standard Rockwell motor bracket, which is there. The auction ends monday and the Maintenance boys will have an answer good or bad by then too. So I guess I wait till then. THANKS AGAIN!!

just a thought. If you really wanted to make this a sweet lathe get a 1.5 hp dc motor and controller from richardsfoundary on ebay. He has a good rep with his setups and all you have to do is mount it and plug it in and you are ready to turn. $290 plus shipping is his price.

iamdagger1 said:
Thanks for all the replies, awsome! I'm going to take the motor to our maintenance guys at work, maybe they can figure out a way to flip it. The cover that's over the wires does not have a wire diagram, not that it would matter; there are only two posts inside. I could switch those wires, but I'd rather not mess with it.

There are other ways to switch directions on a non-prewired motor, as yours seems to be. Move the motor mount and hang the motor facing in the other direction is one.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
MichaelMouse said:
There are other ways to switch directions on a non-prewired motor, as yours seems to be. Move the motor mount and hang the motor facing in the other direction is one.
Michael, I think that you may have outfoxed yourself on this one. Currently the motor shaft turns in the right direction, but the body of the motor sticks out in the wrong direction (or more correctly, it is in the way). You are correct in stating to shift the motor mount and hang the motor facing in the other direction, ........... but then it will be turning in the wrong direction so that is the reason for now having to go inside the motor to reverse its rotation ....... so that the rotation with respect to the lathe spindle will be restored to the same direction as it currently is. At least, that is my understanding of the problem. I could be wrong about this -- I thought that I was wrong once, but it turned out that I was mistaken about being wrong.:D

Bill

Must have missed that information in the public post section. If the toolrest is on the wrong side, it sounds like he's got a leftie's lathe. I just figured that it must be turning clockwise versus anticlockwise - up top - didn't really matter what below. Of course, he'll have to reverse the spindle, too, because if it's tightening, the other guy must have done it.

If that is indeed the case, the method will work. Might even be the reason the motor mount has been jury-rigged. The NEMA 56 isn't a symmetrical mount, and the adjustment holes may have been insufficient for attaching the non-reversible motor in the opposite direction.

If the broken motor has the original step assembly, it has a 5/8" shaft on the pulley. My first lathe was a 46-111. I fitted it with a riser block and a larger motor with a 5/8" shaft. I don't have pics of it anymore however; sorry.

motor for 46-111

Hey Charles ; good to see a fellow Arkie join the group.

I have had a Delta 46-111 since 1974. It is a great light duty lathe, I have tried motors as big as 1 hp. which was really too much power. I would highly reccomend a 1/2 hp. capacitor start, 1725 RPM. with NEMA 56 frame which I suspect will fit your upside down mount perfectly. That mount was original equipment with the lathe. I recently got one for a little over $50.00 including shipping out of ebay. also as my lathe has seen a lot of use , I replaced the bearings at a cost of $32.00 for both. The front bearing at the headstock has a slight protusion to eliminate binding when properly tightend against the front spindle lock nut. Both are easily replaced and even if you have a bearing shop r&r them should be rather inexpensive. Both motor and bearings around $ 100.00 or so to make like new.

The biggest problem I encountered was vibration, caused by a very inadequate stand. Some sandbags for ballast or a good oak slab about 2 inches thick to mount it on will cure that issue.

Good luck,:D. I have turned a lot of different pieces over the years from 14" platters to pens and small goblets with 1/32 thick walls, It will do for a long time and most items you will want to turn.

Since we live close, you may wish to call me at 870-633-6789 or email, clintdsn@swbell.net. Either way would like to hear from you and hope this will be helpful.

Clint 5699

Back