Need New Lathe

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Steven Nicholson, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

I want to upgrade my Jet 14 x 42 to a 20" lathe anybody have an idea?

2. john lucas

john lucas

Well I'm a huge fan of my Powermatic 3520 A and the new 3520C certainly seems to be an upgrade. However the first thing we should ask is why do you want 20" swing. It's hard to sell large bowls. Large platters however sell pretty well. I purchased mine mostly for the weight and horsepower. More mass just makes turning more enjoyable. Yes I did turn a few large things but mostly it's just a lot nicer when you are roughing 8 to 10" hollow forms or in my case my off center work.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. William Rogers

William Rogers

Just depends on how much you want to spend, high end $6000-8000 you have Robust, Oneway, vicmark are the usual big names. $3000-5000 you have Powermatic. $1600-3000 you have Laguna, Nova, Jet, and Grizzly. I believe the Powermatic 3520B is 20% off right now making that a great price. All of these lathes have features that attract different people. I have the Laguna 18-36, as size, price, and their features were in line with what I wanted

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  4. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I think that if you made a list of things that you are looking for besides larger swing in a larger lathe that would help you pare the list down to one or two lathes. If cost is a factor then you might need to make some compromises. It always helps to go to a symposium where you can see the lathes.

hockenbery and Tom Albrecht like this.
  5. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    Depending on what you need the 20" swing for, your choices will be different.
    If you want to do a lot of large off center work you will want a heavier lathe like the oneway 2436.
    If you want to do bigger bowls maybe an 18" lathe works for you.

You don't find unhappy owners of Oneway, Robust, Vicmarc or Powermatic.

Four smaller lathes to consider

1. Oneway 1640 - the outboard has a 24" swing.
    2. Robust Sweet 16 has GAO configuration that has 32" swing for platters and bowls' heights limited by the gap (14"???) not much of a limit for bowl 20" hemispherical bowl will fit easily and that is. Big bowl.
    3. Jet 1840 and
    4. Jet 1840 DVR.

6. Brian McInturff

Brian McInturff

Stubby was running a really good deal on their 750 and 1000 and may still be. Seems everyone forgets to mention them since Bill R passed away.
    And with the currency rate right now it's really a great deal.

7. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    It's been several years since Stubby stopped exporting lathes to the US. Bill Rubenstein was supporting existing owners for several years, but wasn't selling new lathes. Has there been a recent change that I haven't heard about?

8. Brian McInturff

Brian McInturff

IMG_0359.JPG Rod Caddaye in Australia is who owns Stubby now and will help get the shipping to here. I think he takes care of all the shipping details. Considering the conversion rate the Stubby 1000
    cost would be just over $5k excluding shipping. That's a sweet deal there.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  9. Hy Tran

Hy Tran

If you're up for a road trip, there's a Oneway 2436 with all the trimmings in Texas. Look at the "For Sale" forum here. You can also do outboard, so your capacity is actually > 24" diameter, and it comes with a bed extension, so I'm sure it's more than 36" spindle. The only thing you'd have to worry about is the spindle-height-above-floor; if you're taller, it's easy to put the lathe higher. It's much more challenging if you're shorter than the lathe legs.

I've turned on a friend's Oneway. Really nice smooth movement of the banjo over the ways; nice toolpost clamp, very good speed control.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  10. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    Stubby has great customer service. If you call, the owner himself answers the phone or call you back. He will ship any lathe world wide. He will help you fix or replace anything on any Stubby, sold by Bill, J. Jordan or anybody else... I have turn in a lot of lathes in my travels, seen the Robust, still believe there is nothing better than a Stubby. And now the price is right...

11. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    If you want the 3HP option, the cost is about $7400 USD before shipping and import duties both of which are rather expensive. It might still be a good deal for the person who is able to afford it, but great deal and affordability are separate considerations. :D

The question that I would have is whether they would provide motors and electronics for 60 Hz power. They use European motors and inverters because Australia uses 230 V, 50 Hz power. Bill Rubenstein imported the lathes without motors and controllers and installed US made motors and 60 Hz inverters.

12. Brian McInturff

Brian McInturff

I think your #'s are off Bill. I'm pretty sure $5200 was the price for a 2hp. I don't see a 3hp raising the price $2200. He can configure the Power options for the US so I've been told. I know Rod was talking about another US distributed too in the future.

13. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

14. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

The PM"s are a very good lathes with a lot of nice features, I don't care for the motor extending beyond the lathe frame.

15. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

Great lathe but don't care for the extended motor.

16. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

Thanks for the info, checked internet, looks like a good machine.

17. Steven Nicholson

Steven Nicholson

I have also used a friend's Oneway, great all around lathe. The Oneway is metric and all my equipment is standard, don't want to start over, too old.

18. john lucas

john lucas

The extended motor has never been a problem. I solved that by purchasing a bed extension and putting it on the motor end. Then I slid the headstock forward so the motor and bed extension stick out the same. This way the bed extension doesn't take up much more floor space and is there when I need it.

19. odie

odie

It would be easy for Oneway to increase their market share.....if they offered 1 1/4x8tpi and #2MT......don't know why they don't do that......well built lathes tho........

-----odie-----

20. odie

odie

How come, Steven?

The motor placement is what allows the sliding headstock.......and, that should be a great advantage.

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme likes this.