• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need recommendations

Just sold my full size lathe in preparation for relocation. I turn bowls, primarily, and nothing more than 16". I have limited space and a budget of 850$. What would you recommend in the way of a variable speed lathe, headstock doesn't need to swivel?

16" and variable speed will be pushing the limit of your $850.00 budget.
For that kind of money you would be looking at a reeves system for "variable" speed.
If you want a VFD variable speed lathe along with the turning capacity a new unit will
most likely surpass your budget.

16" and variable speed will be pushing the limit of your $850.00 budget.
For that kind of money you would be looking at a reeves system for "variable" speed.
If you want a VFD variable speed lathe along with the turning capacity a new unit will
most likely surpass your budget.
Thanks for your reply. Let's just say I want what you're talking about, and I have the money, what are my choices?

You could look around and maybe find a used lathe with a VFD for that kind of money.
If you are looking at a new lathe in that price range you would be looking at an import
machine like Grizzly Tools or Shop Fox.

Thanks, Mike. Would you recommend either/both of these lathes as very good to excellent?
I'm not against spending the money for a good lathe, but don't want to just spend money for the sake of having a lathe. I'm not a professional turner; I enjoy turning and want to turn out a quality product but I don't think I need a Robust to do that. I sold my Nova 3000 yesterday because of an impending move. Will want to get another lathe once I get to Tulsa.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Look at the Vega bowl lathe. May be more than your budget however I haven't looked at the price in years. The Nova 2442 (if that's the correct number) will do the job and is an excellent lathe. It doesn't have variable speed however.

12-13" puts you into the range of the Jet 1221VS and its competitors, and meets your budget.

16" puts you into about 2x your budget. Some candidates: Jet 1642, Nova 1624 or Nova Galaxi, Woodtek 12" (has 16" outboard), Robust Scout (14", a bit shy of your 16" spec, but will definitely challenge your budget), Colt 14" midi (14", not 16, but is very close to your budget). I would feel comfortable with any of these lathes (I have seen instances of all of these).

On paper, the Grizzly specs look good, and are less expensive for a 16" than, say the Jet 1642 or Nova 1624. They exceed your budget (say 1.5x) I have not personally seen the Grizzly, so I could not speak to the fit and finish of the machine.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
On paper, the Grizzly specs look good, and are less expensive for a 16" than, say the Jet 1642 or Nova 1624. They exceed your budget (say 1.5x) I have not personally seen the Grizzly, so I could not speak to the fit and finish of the machine.

The Grizzly lathes overstate the horsepower of the motors on their lathes sometimes by a factor of two. Jet seems to be honest about their horsepower statements.

Took a quick look at Craigslist for Tulsa. (I'm not advocating or recommending anything here, just providing some fodder for thought.)
There's a listing for a Jet 1442, which gets you variable speed via a Reeves drive, for $950.
Also a Vega lathe for $1000 OBO, but Vega's are special in some way, if I recall correctly.
And a Jet 1642, which would be an ideal lathe for you, for $1500, but it's near Kansas City and more than you planned to spend.
There's a Delta/Rockwell, which would be 12" and probably not variable speed but were the favorite lathe of Montana's most capable turner, in Wichita for $550.

I spent about 18 months keeping my eyes peeled and inquiring of regional clubs before I found just the right lathe at the right price (in Billings, ironically). If you gotta have what you want and have a firm limit on price, it will take time, but eventually you'll probably find the right one. If you liked the Nova 3000, a used DVR model would work well for you, though it might not make your price point.

For a 16" bowl you will need a lathe with a 18" swing. 16" is as big as I want to turn at this point. I bought the Laguna Revo 18-36 and I am very satisfied with it. Well over your budget for sure. I consider this a very good to excellent lathe. If I decide I want to turn larger I can add the bed extension that will allow a 32" swing. I have turned on a Powermatic 4224 and a Robust AB. Both are very nice lathes, but the Laguna is just as good IMO. One thing to keep in mine is ergonomics. I had a PM 90 that was initially a 12" swing and floor to spindle center was 42". When I raised it to a 18" swing that increased the floor to spindle height to 45". I am 5'9" and could tell the difference. It was not as comfortable to turn at 45" height. This was a key factor for me buying a new lathe. The Laguna is 41-1/2" floor to spindle center.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
The Powermatic 3520B lathe is on sale for a great price right now. $3200 (usually $4000)......this is probably because a newer lathe will be in production shortly. This is probably more than you want to pay, Richard, but others reading this thread might be interested.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/216/2894/Powermatic-3520B-Lathe

-----odie-----

Back