Never knew mesquite is this beautiful

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Fadi Zeidan, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

I have been buying wood blanks online and recently purchased chainsaw and cut my own blanks. This weekend I turned my first mesquite bowl, and I am amazed how beautiful this wood is. I applied one coat of Danish oil, I plan to do 2 to 3 more. Sorry I don’t have professional photo setup, but I just loved this bowl and wanted to share.

5978CC1D-CED9-446A-8A76-358D2D9DB641.jpeg 4A36ACF6-101C-46B3-A144-04CB49F8A643.jpeg

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    It's one of the benefits of living in Texas. There is a very large mesquite less than 100 feet from my shop, but the only problem is that it is in a park. Most people in Texas only like mesquite for barbeque wood. Ranchers see it as a nuisance in pastures and have them bulldozed and burned. Some people are aware of its beauty and pay handsome prices for mesquite furniture, etc.

Fadi Zeidan and charlie knighton like this.
  3. Samuel Russo

Samuel Russo

I have been turning Mesquite for three years while spending the winters in south Texas. They sell very well in my home area of upstate New York at local Craft Fairs. Not only is it beautiful, but very nice to work with.

Fadi Zeidan likes this.
  4. egsiegel

egsiegel

Home Page:
    I love turning mesquite but my resource for it dried up.
    (wife kicked him out and burned his stash)
    If anyone in TX or AZ (or anywhere else) would be interested in filling a flat rate box with some mesquite and sending it my way (or several) I'm sure we could work something out.

5. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

If I had enough I would, I have enough for 10 to 12 bowls or so and plan on using them sorry...

6. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

87337ECF-788B-4318-AA19-3F69A5853842.jpeg Here is another look and another piece.

Bill Boehme likes this.
  7. John Turpin

John Turpin

Home Page:
    I wish I had a source for it. It grows a little in far south Oklahoma, but I never see it near me. My wife brought home a couple of pieces of Mesquite firewood from her sister's place in West Texas and it made some pretty little bowls.

8. John Torchick

John Torchick

My complements on the nice bowls.

9. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

I was buying wood blanks online, mainly Walnut, Maple, and cherry. this was first time I try Mesquite. The wood is absolutely beautiful.

10. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

Thanks! Still a newbie, these are my 2nd and 3rd turning using nothing but gouges (the hollow form using Trent bosch hollowing bars). I used to use carbide tools a lot before so it was great to see them come out right.