• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bill Wright

hey everybody im kind of new to woodturning, i've been toying around with my dad's old lathe turning blocks of wood down to a basic form for a bagpipe drone,basically im trying to make my own bagpipes,the lathe i have is an el cheapo professional woodworker brand lathe from some chinese company,i cant complain,i got it for free,but i just found out that i can take the spur off today,thanks to someone on a bagpipe maker's group,anyway,im joined up on here to learn as much as i can about turning on the lathe,the wife cant keep me off of mine,for some reason it gives me a calm feeling and i can stand at it all night just messing around with it

Bill,
Welcome to the AAW forum where you can learn much just by asking questions. However, for an even better way to learn find your nearest AAW Chapter and join them. Most chapters have a mentoring program and you'll be able to get some help getting started right. I sure wish I'd done so when I started. You don't say where you live but if you go to this link you'll be able to locate a chapter.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

i live in southern virginia,i think the nearest chapter to me is around the roanoke area

I sure understand what you mean by turning as relaxing. I've had people say that they could never be patient enough to do the intricate turning, but I find it totally relaxing after trying to teach a high school shop class all day......

It is a great idea to check out the local woodturners chapters. I did that 3 years ago and thanks to the Quad Cities Woodturning Club (http://www.qcwoodturners.org/) and their members, I improved my skills dramatically. They are always willing to mentor.

Lyndal

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Bill, from what you describe I must tell you that you got the Turniensis Virus. Don't call the doctor, he won't be able to do any thing about it. The virus is only getting worse proportionately to the quantity of shavings you'll produce. If you stop, the virus will make you dream of shapes of all sorts that you will want to try on your lathe.

benvenuto.gif

Back