• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Seth Roland

Website
www.etsy.com
Hi. My name is Seth and I'm 17. I've been turning since 2014 when my great uncle visited and taught me the basics of wood turning. Currently, I am turning to save for college and build our business and I really enjoy it! I mostly make pens but have also made some small bowls and other random things. Three of my brothers also do woodturning for their college funds. Here is a link to our Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/woodnotch/

I've seen a lot of talent here and hope to learn a lot.

Seth

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome Seth.
You work looks great!

I expect to visit Tucson sometime in the next year to see two good friends who are turners.
Elizabeth and Frank Amigo just moved to Oro Valley. They are both accomplished turners and both do significant work for AAW.

Have you visited any woodturning clubs? These are great for connecting with other Woodturner's, picking up new techniques, and a wealth ideas.

There are two chapters of the AAW IN THE Tucson area.
Desert Woodturner's and the
Southern Arizona Woodturner's

Al

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm Seth........So, tell us......Where do you want to take it from here?

You've mentioned that you turn for college funds, and that is a noble goal......but, take some caution with this approach. If your goal is to make money, that philosophy will contribute to how you "connect" with your work.

-----odie-----

Website
www.etsy.com
Thank you all for the encouragement!

You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm Seth........So, tell us......Where do you want to take it from here?
-----odie-----

Thank you. Right now I am concentrating on making pens for upcoming shows as well as keeping up with school. I'll be going to college next fall. I still have not decided for sure what I want to do for a living but one thing I am definitely considering is going into the pen making business. I have thoroughly enjoyed pen making so far and want to keep doing it and improving on it. I do have other interests as well such as trombone and piano playing, horse back riding, and our family raises dogs which I also enjoy.

Website
www.etsy.com
Welcome Seth.
You work looks great!

I expect to visit Tucson sometime in the next year to see two good friends who are turners.
Elizabeth and Frank Amigo just moved to Oro Valley. They are both accomplished turners and both do significant work for AAW.

Have you visited any woodturning clubs? These are great for connecting with other Woodturner's, picking up new techniques, and a wealth ideas.

There are two chapters of the AAW IN THE Tucson area.
Desert Woodturner's and the
Southern Arizona Woodturner's

Al
Thank you for the welcome and the information. I have not joined any clubs yet but may do so in the future. I'll have to look into the ones you mentioned.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

Thank you. Right now I am concentrating on making pens for upcoming shows as well as keeping up with school. I'll be going to college next fall. I still have not decided for sure what I want to do for a living but one thing I am definitely considering is going into the pen making business. I have thoroughly enjoyed pen making so far and want to keep doing it and improving on it. I do have other interests as well such as trombone and piano playing, horse back riding, and our family raises dogs which I also enjoy.
Hello Seth.... I made pens for 4 years and and sold many and gave many as gifts. I really enjoyed pen turning and made enough money to put back into my shop and buy new turning tools that I wanted. You can make money (if that is your goal) turning pens just depends on how many hours you can put in at the lathe.... I had a pen production line set up in my shop so that I could supply my sellers like Etsy, Ebay, galleries, jewelry stores....ect. Marketing is a big part of selling pens if you won't to be successful. I did not start out to sell pens......it was just something that developed.

After making pens for so long I knew that I wonted to learn to turn other things like bowls, platters, hallow forms ect. so that is what I'm doing now and this is such a great place to learn. Turners here are so nice and willing to help Newbies like me. Seth, you are never to old to learn! The main thing is to have fun and enjoy your turning. Anything that I can help you with on penturning I'll be glad to help. Happy turning!

Seth, welcome and it looks like you're off to a great start with your pen turning. I'm a bit confused about the photo of "Thuya boxes from Morocco". Do you import those or do you make them?

Welcome to the forum. As suggested, join a woodturning club. I did this about 4 years ago and never regretted the 45 minute drive or the yearly dues. Well worth it as the club has demonstrations from member and well known turners. We had one demo about three months ago by two member who turn pens. Different approaches to the same thing. One makes about 300 pens a year.

Website
www.etsy.com
Hello Seth.... I made pens for 4 years and and sold many and gave many as gifts. I really enjoyed pen turning and made enough money to put back into my shop and buy new turning tools that I wanted. You can make money (if that is your goal) turning pens just depends on how many hours you can put in at the lathe.... I had a pen production line set up in my shop so that I could supply my sellers like Etsy, Ebay, galleries, jewelry stores....ect. Marketing is a big part of selling pens if you won't to be successful. I did not start out to sell pens......it was just something that developed.

After making pens for so long I knew that I wonted to learn to turn other things like bowls, platters, hallow forms ect. so that is what I'm doing now and this is such a great place to learn. Turners here are so nice and willing to help Newbies like me. Seth, you are never to old to learn! The main thing is to have fun and enjoy your turning. Anything that I can help you with on penturning I'll be glad to help. Happy turning!

Thank you for sharing. So far, in the few years that I've made pens, it has been very profitable (for a kid at least). I hope to continue making pens after college.

Website
www.etsy.com
Seth, welcome and it looks like you're off to a great start with your pen turning. I'm a bit confused about the photo of "Thuya boxes from Morocco". Do you import those or do you make them?

Thank you. Yes, the thuya boxes were imported from Morocco. I believe those are the only products that we don't have a hand in making.

Back