• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lathe purchase question

Before i spend my hard earned money, I have been looking at a Jet 1442 at Woodcraft, 900.00, I have seen the 1236...from info I have read, most turned items don't exceed the 12in diamter, which would be provided by a 1236..the other issue is mass/weight, but what if the 1236 is mounted to a bench?..would that not provide adequate support, and provide stability..I know the 1442 is a heavy lathe, but as a hobby turner, would a 1236 cover the bill for less $$$$..tks...Dennis

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I will state up front, I have not used either of these lathes.

That said, my first lathe was the Delta equivelant to the 1236. I had it mounted on a bench because I could not afford the stand. This works out well until I tried to turn an out of round log. It was a harrowing experience to say the least! Much of it has to do with the instability of the bench and the lathes ways being of a less than substantial cast iron. That said, I turned many beautiful (to me anyway) items on it and that particular project definately pushed the limits of the lathe. If I were do it all over, I would have probably added several 4x4s to the stand and hundreds of pounds of sand or shot to help absorb the vibration.

I would start out by looking at what you can afford (and add to it if you can), figure that over time, the price of the lathe is less than half of what you will spend on tools, chucks, grinders, etc. It is just the largest single purchase of the hobby.

There is more to consider than sheer mass and size capabilities. Look at the thickness of the bed, the heft of the banjo and tailstock among others. Talk to members int eh local clubs to see if they have any pros/cons about their lathes. Just because you can turn a 12" item, does not mean you can throw any 12" piece on the lathe. Invariably, if you buy a lathe with 12" capacity (which is stated over the bed, not over the banjo) the piece you want to turn is 13" or is 12" until it warps.

This may seem as a bunch of disconnected (hopefully not) ramblings, but it is early in the morning and the coffee kicked in.

Although probably better than the rest in the 12 x 36ers out there, the Jet 1442 is more than worth the difference in price.

The legs are nice and stable, the bed is heavier and longer, it's got a bigger motor, et al.

Don't think in terms of the initial cost. Think in terms of how long you'll enjoy it.

If you buy the smaller lathe, you'll inevitably want to sell it to get a bigger one in a few years. The 1442 will keep you happier much, much longer.

I don't know who said it, but: "You'll only cry once when you buy an expensive tool."

Jet 1236

I have a 1236 and like it given that I now understand it's limitations. I built a box and filled it with lead shot which stopped a lot of the jumping. Buying and learning to use a bandsaw for blank prep helped a lot also. 11" dia pieces are the max given the configuration and location of the motor which protrudes to the tail stock side of the spindle. Jet face plates and Vicmarc chucks stick out far enough to allow for 11" clearance. The cooling fan on the tail stock side of the motor sucks sanding dust into the motor housing. The outboard turning feature is not practical in my opinion even with the extra weight. I have tried it. The 1442 that I looked at appears to be the 1236 with cast iron legs and a bigger motor. If I had it to do over I would have gotten a powermatic 2530 and would still be lusting for a OneWay 2436. I paid $399 with free shipping from Amazon, incidentally.
HTH

Jet prices went up

I had heard about the 1236 on Amazon.com and when I got the money rounded up, the price made a large jump, now it is around 550.00 with free shipping, should of gotten it quicker when it was down in price...but it seems that everyone that carries the 1236 has increased prices, the 1442 was less expensive when I first looked at it, and now it jumped up also, they say it is the price of steel, I don't know, just more money that is all I am sure of...Dennis

Website
paulporterwoodturning.com
Jet 1236

Buy the bigger lathe. It may be more than you want right now, but in the long run, you wont have to upgrade as soon. I have use a Jet 1236 on many occations for demos and teaching. I think it's a wimpy lathe. The bolt to hold the tool rest is to small. I've seen them strip out on several lathes. I've seen the motor mount break, the starting capacitor go out. If you can, spend the extra money on the 1442. Or if you can find a good used older Delta, General or Powermatic lathes from the 50's or 60's for about the same price as a new Jet. You'd be getting a lot better lathe. I guess you can tell I don't like the Jet 1236.

My 2 cents.

Paul

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dennis
Once you've turned on a heavier lathe you won't go back. Look real hard at the 1442. If new is too high check out www.generalindustrialsupply.com. They have rebuilt machines and everyone Iknow who has dealt with them has been happy. I have purchased 2 tools from them and have been happy. John

I hate to even tempt you but......
Amazon has a sale going on the powermatic 3520 (they're listing it as the 1352000 but that is the stock number, not the model). It's going for a little over $2000. Seriously good deal. Might be one of those "the only lathe I'll ever own" moments.

Just tempting you.
Dietrich

Dietrich that is a little out of my price range, but I will check out the site John said and see what is there....the 1442 seems to be my lathe...and probably ought to just gut it out and get it from Woodcraft, they are local to me, and at least if there is a problem I have someone to complain to...Dennis

price matching

Dennis, talk to the mgr/owner of your Woodcraft store. Mention the Amazon price. Sometimes a given store will match the price. If the mgr/owner doesn't feel he/she can do it ask him/her to call the main office and ask if Woodcraft will sponsor a price match.

It's worked b4, it might work again. :D

Last edited:
can't find a Jet 1442 on Amazon

I can find the Jet 1442 on Amazon.com, only the 1236...do you know of someplace there I can't find?...tks...it would be worth a try...Dennis

tks Ed

I tried it earlier after the reply post, and I assume that due to the weight of the unit, it is not practical to carry and then ship...only have the 1236...don't see many mail order/online sites that carry, unless shipping cost are pretty high...Dennis

The 1236 was my first lathe, on hindsight I wish I had bought a bigger one from the git go. Not knowing a thing about lathes I was a bit hard on mine.

It wasnt long before I quickley outgrew it. I bought my Yates american 6 months after I got my jet.

Back