• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lathe!

I got my new Rikon 70-050VS lathe a while back but remodeling has taken a lot of my time. This has interfered with important things like fishing, hunting, turning. I started it up yesterday to rough-turn a grip for a rod I'm building as an auction item for a fundraiser. I was impressed with how quiet it was and no vibration. I thought something was wrong but found that the VS takes a couple of seconds to start up when I flip the switch. I'm impressed. All I need to do is convince SWMBO that I need about $1K for some more turning tools. :D

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Congratulations John!

Good luck with the new lathe!

Do you seriously think that only $ 1,000 more will do it? (The vortex spins long, fast, and deep......) ;)

Turn safely!

Rob

Congrats!!!!

And yes, one grand is only the beginning!

I started on that exact same lathe (still bolted to my work bench), and have recently dumped another $5k into the shop, including a new Nova DVR 2024; so, fasten your seatbelts and start working some overtime to pay for everything.

Congratulations John! I remember when I first used my new lathe, such a delight to have a machine that works so well, especially after years of frustration with an inferior lathe. Have fun!

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I got my new Rikon 70-050VS lathe a while back .........
I need about $1K for some more turning tools. :D
Have fun with your new machine!

What Rob said!! :)

I've heard some folks say they should give you the lathe..
We use to have folks who would give us printers since they made all their money on ink!

You will never run out of things to buy.

Have fun!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I remember when I sold my POS Delta lathe and bought the Nova Comet. It ran so smooth in comparison to the Delta that my turning improved overnight. I think you'll find the same thing with the Rikon. I've owned one and it was a decent lathe.

start working some overtime
I'm retired. Maybe I could get SWMBO a part-time job. "Do you want the large fries and drink with that?

Yep, $IK is on the low end but my needs are minimal. I figure on getting some cheap screwdrivers and sharpening them for tools. ;) I made an inletting tool from a small screwdriver for inletting the end of a cork rod grip to insert the reel hood.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Sort of like buying a Harley.........! :D

In the long run, though.......I'd say the tools related to lathe turning are more expensive than the Harley accessories........but, then again, some Harleys eat more of your money than others! Ha!

Good luck with the new lathe.

ooc

I'm looking forward to spending some time at the lathe. Turning is like fishing- you buy a $25 rod-and-reel outfit and spend $500 on tackle.
I'm surprised that no one demanded pictures. :confused: I'll show how I adapted the old stand to the new big-boy toy.

Ian, I thought of that when I was showing it to one of my grandsons yesterday. Also want to show the stroke of genius in modifying the old stand for the new toy. I don't always get a SOG.;)

Back