• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova Nylon Jaws; just my two cents

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
As a newish turner with limited skills, I've been trying lots of different work holding methods and most especially for small boxes and lids. I turned a set of jaws from UHMW polymer and they were pretty good but it was a huge hassle to get the screws just so (for me anyway).

So I stumbled on the Nova nylon jaws on Amazon. After much debate, and having recently stepped back from the precipice of purchasing a ginormous compressor, I purchased these and the G3 chuck. BTW, these are compatible with just about all Nova chucks so if you use them, these are only $15 per set.

Anyway, like clamps, one can't have too many chucks and I got them and the jaws and have been very happy so far. They machine very easily, and if you put a small dovetail in them, you get a very positive hold on your small work - up to about 5" in diameter.

Another plus is that you can make stepped jaws, which I did.

And, they are to my mind a much better way to hold delicate work than, say, cole jaws, because they apply even pressure instead of just spots.

So no, I didn't buy stock in Nova or anything. :)

By the way, if you don't own a G3 chuck and get one, you'll find that they are "backwards": clockwise opens and counter-clockwise tightens. But it's a nice chuck for the money. I put a 1 1/4 x 8 adapter on it and it's still cheaper than the old Barracuda chucks I bought when I first started turning. And nicer overall.

NOVA NYLON.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark, sounds like a good idea. I bet they last longer than my wooden, jam chucks and other fixtures. Thanks for the info.
Jon

My pleasure. I hope it's helpful (and how was the trip home, by the way?).

Mark

I must not be holding my mouth right I haven't had much luck with mine. Maybe you can give me some hints.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
:
I must not be holding my mouth right I haven't had much luck with mine. Maybe you can give me some hints.

:)

Bill, you know that dumb guy who always seems to have good luck in spite of himself? I think that might be me. I did put a nice dovetail in each of the stepped mortises so there's a good tendency to hold with little pressure. But I'm only working with small objects; the biggest so far is a footed bowl with a segmented rim of 4.5" diameter and 3.5 " tall.

Back