1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Nova Nylon Jaws; just my two cents

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Mark Hepburn, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

As a newish turner with limited skills, I've been trying lots of different work holding methods and most especially for small boxes and lids. I turned a set of jaws from UHMW polymer and they were pretty good but it was a huge hassle to get the screws just so (for me anyway).

So I stumbled on the Nova nylon jaws on Amazon. After much debate, and having recently stepped back from the precipice of purchasing a ginormous compressor, I purchased these and the G3 chuck. BTW, these are compatible with just about all Nova chucks so if you use them, these are only $15 per set.

Anyway, like clamps, one can't have too many chucks and I got them and the jaws and have been very happy so far. They machine very easily, and if you put a small dovetail in them, you get a very positive hold on your small work - up to about 5" in diameter.

Another plus is that you can make stepped jaws, which I did.

And, they are to my mind a much better way to hold delicate work than, say, cole jaws, because they apply even pressure instead of just spots.

So no, I didn't buy stock in Nova or anything. :)

By the way, if you don't own a G3 chuck and get one, you'll find that they are "backwards": clockwise opens and counter-clockwise tightens. But it's a nice chuck for the money. I put a 1 1/4 x 8 adapter on it and it's still cheaper than the old Barracuda chucks I bought when I first started turning. And nicer overall.

NOVA NYLON.jpg

hockenbery and Bill Boehme like this.
  2. Jon Minerich

Jon Minerich

Mark, sounds like a good idea. I bet they last longer than my wooden, jam chucks and other fixtures. Thanks for the info.
    Jon

3. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

My pleasure. I hope it's helpful (and how was the trip home, by the way?).

Mark

4. Bill Weaver

Bill Weaver

I must not be holding my mouth right I haven't had much luck with mine. Maybe you can give me some hints.

5. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

:
    :)

Bill, you know that dumb guy who always seems to have good luck in spite of himself? I think that might be me. I did put a nice dovetail in each of the stepped mortises so there's a good tendency to hold with little pressure. But I'm only working with small objects; the biggest so far is a footed bowl with a segmented rim of 4.5" diameter and 3.5 " tall.

6. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I use mine for bracelets, and another set for a middle size my jaws dont fit.

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  7. William Rogers

William Rogers

Thanks Mark for reminding me. Mine are still in the package. I haven't got back to small lidded boxes in a while, so I'll keep them in mind.

Mark Hepburn likes this.