• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Nova vs Super Nova

I have been considdering getting a nova chuck lately and am curious is the super nova worth the price difference?

Lathe chuck

I bought a Vicmark after using a Nova for years.The vicmark is a lot better at holding in either direction. It costes a litle more but it's worth it.

Website
www.no-wood-unturned.com
One of the main differences is the key operation (SuperNova) vs. levers (Nova). I have both and like the levers when opening and closing the jaws a lot (it is quicker). The key is easier for one handed tightening, though. In my experience, the holding capability between the two models is similar.

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
I use all of the Nova range of chucks and depending on the job application dictates which chuck I use. I prefer the nova for the smaller jaws as it is easy to change peices. The DVR lathe has a shaft lock so you only need 1 bar to open and close the jaws. The New Supernova 2 chuck is a better chuck than the original supernova in its ease of use. I use this for all the intermediate jaws and then there is the Titan chuck for the larger power grip jaws and the titan jaws. The great thing about the Nova range of chucks is the interchangeability , it does not matter which chuck you have all of the jaws will go from one to another. But in saying that the 130mm & power grip & titan jaws are not recomended for the original nova chuck as it does not have enough strenght behind it for the larger peices you may hold.The new titan jaws will only fit the titan chuck due to the jaws having 3 screws per jaw .

Thanks All. I think I will go with original nova and save my 80 bucks for an extra set of jaws. Most of the bowls I make right now won't be more than 6 inches or so but will be doing a lot more more deep cups and goblets, which jaws would be my best bet?

I've got a little nova and have found it to be more than adequate for anything I can fit on my Mini (up to about 10lb in some cases). I do use a homemade spindle/bowl steady for anything large but that is mostly to prevent vibration. I've got a new, much larger lathe and will be getting supernova or Talon to go with it, as I'll be doing the 50lb+ hunka, hunka turnin wood.

Only gripe is that, when you tighten it real hard, the lever holes begin to bend out. Had to make new levers that fit more snugly.

IMHO,
Dietrich

woodboy said:
Thanks All. I think I will go with original nova and save my 80 bucks for an extra set of jaws. Most of the bowls I make right now won't be more than 6 inches or so but will be doing a lot more more deep cups and goblets, which jaws would be my best bet?

The standard 50mm jaws will be fine for your bowls. For cups and goblets I would get the 45mm spigot chuck. It accepts a much longer tenon than the standard jaws, which gives you a better grip on a long piece. It will also work on those occasions when you slip up and make your bowl tenon just a little too small for the 50mm jaws to grip.

Graeme

Back