• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"O" type drive belt

I have been told that my lathe uses an "O" type 1250 mm drive belt. I can not find anyone that markets a drive belt that is an "O" type. Anyone have any advice.

I bought the lathe used and it had a SPA v belt on it which always wanted to flip over on its side, probably because it was too wide. If I can't find the "O" type belt I will try a SPZ belt and see if it works any better than the wider SPA size.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Thats a round belt, which is not particularly good at transmitting a lot of torque, since there's less contact on the pulleys.
So I'd be surprised to see that on a lathe. It would ride in the groves but might slip more.

An SPZ is a V-type belt.
Roy, you might just want to try a couple of standard configurations like 4L, 5L and see if they work.
You wont damage the pulley - assuming they are metal.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I was going to suggest the same site that Raul did. There is no "O" section belt profile, but maybe whoever suggested it meant to say a round belt, sometimes called an O-ring belt. If that is the case ROJEK didn't give you sufficient information since they come in different diameters.

Look at the pulley. That will tell you if the belt cross section is round or if it has a conventional V cross section. As I mentioned in the other thread, you can measure the pulley groove dimensions to home in on the correct belt size. As I mentioned in the other thread, there are numerous reasons that a belt will flip on its side and they mostly all boil down to either the belt or pulley being worn out ... actually way past worn out.

Here is a link to Gates Rubber V-belt information. Also, you should contact BeltsForAnything in Lafayette, Louisiana. If they don't have it then it probably doesn't exist.

Also having multiple threads on the same topic (AKA cross posting) won't speed up finding an answer to your question and it may just create confusion.

Back