• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #11

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Nailing repeat grinds on the Wolverine jig........

It's a little frustrating when you have to test, adjust, retest, and adjust the grinding jigs for your turning tools.

With this little magnet with stick and white piece of paper attached, getting the setting right the first time is a snap!

Position the white paper correctly, so that when you look from the side, you can clearly see the profile of the tool you wish to sharpen, along with the profile of the grinding wheel.......easy to make adjustments from there. It helps to have a light source at the back side of the paper.

The magnet makes attachment, and removal in about two seconds of time!

Wish I'd have thought of this years ago! :mad:

otis of cologne

edit: The better your bevel matches the profile of the grinding wheel.......the less grinding you'll need to do, and the longer your tools will last you!

Attachments

• Vari jig using paper veil (2).jpg
    Vari jig using paper veil (2).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 460
  • paper veil (2).jpg
    paper veil (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Otis, not sure I understand this clearly--
the white sheet of paper is just a background to more easily see if the gouge's bevel matches the wheel?
How about this:
A light off to the right of the wheel, in-line with the wheel's edge, that casts a crisp shadow onto the paper. No need to bend down and peer between the gouge and wheel, just look at the projection from a normal upright position. Ken's crazy idea #1 :D

odie

TOTW Team
Otis, not sure I understand this clearly--
the white sheet of paper is just a background to more easily see if the gouge's bevel matches the wheel?
How about this:
A light off to the right of the wheel, in-line with the wheel's edge, that casts a crisp shadow onto the paper. No need to bend down and peer between the gouge and wheel, just look at the projection from a normal upright position. Ken's crazy idea #1 :D

Hey now, Ken........

I'd say there's possibility in your crazy idea #1....!!!!

If you give that a try, let us know how it works.

otis of cologne

Accu-set

I'm lost as to why guys keep re-inventing the wheel when it comes to sharpening. No matter if you have a Wolverine or a knock-off like the Blackhawk, make a few slides and fine tune them for the tool they fit. If you make them out of wood, put a screw in them for a setting. Me, I made a few spares for my Blackhawk and then made the little part I call Accu-Set. This is set for the right gouge and the right cut. I have a master pattern for students to use for the initial setting and cut, it's just there to do the math. Before I made the jig, I had a small clamp on there. I can change rigs and sharpen any tool in a snap. I turned a ball cap on Sunday and sharpened tools over 40 times during the course of 4 hours. The wood wasn't as wet as I wanted it to be and sharp cuts were really necessary for good work.

Attachments

• accu-set copy.jpg
    accu-set copy.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 276

odie

TOTW Team
I'm lost as to why guys keep re-inventing the wheel when it comes to sharpening. No matter if you have a Wolverine or a knock-off like the Blackhawk, make a few slides and fine tune them for the tool they fit. If you make them out of wood, put a screw in them for a setting. Me, I made a few spares for my Blackhawk and then made the little part I call Accu-Set. This is set for the right gouge and the right cut. I have a master pattern for students to use for the initial setting and cut, it's just there to do the math. Before I made the jig, I had a small clamp on there. I can change rigs and sharpen any tool in a snap. I turned a ball cap on Sunday and sharpened tools over 40 times during the course of 4 hours. The wood wasn't as wet as I wanted it to be and sharp cuts were really necessary for good work.

Hi Captain Eddie......

While I can appreciate that you feel comfortable with your jigs for each of your grind styles, what I've come up with is not really "re-inventing" the wheel.......I've made a better wheel!

I have a "one size fits all" solution.....don't need special jigs for each grind. I'd be willing to bet I can set-up to grind my turning tools as fast, or faster than someone who has made all the special jigs for each of his grinds......there is no re-adjustment necessary......first attempt is perfect every time!

At another time, I did try out your method of a fixed jig. I had seen something like it a few years back.....I think on youtube. There were too many variables.......tools get shorter (important when considering a straight grind), grinding wheels get smaller, the Wolverine might not be perfectly aligned with the notch (this might not be bad, if I were in the habit of using the same notch all the time, but I do not.)....if you go ahead and do the grind, even if it's not perfect, you will have the same thing happen the next time. If you have more than one tool that uses the same jig, the results may not exactly match the previous time you did the grind, etc. With my lighted paper jig, none of those factors come into play......only the bevel, and the grinding wheel itself. And the mating of those two things are clearly visible to my eye.

In the end, though........those who know me, understand that I try to give everyone their own personal space to do as they wish......and, true to form, I'll allow you your space on this one too, Captain Eddie! (Somehow, the tone I was getting from your post told me the reverse might not be true.....)

My advice to the reader of this thread: Do your own testing, then decide for yourself......and, if you're comfortable with another way of sharpening your lathe tools.....by all means, do it the way you have established for yourself.

One thing all of us should understand about this wonderful hobby of wood turning.......no matter what the subject, there is never a case where everybody does everything exactly the same way. :D

otis of cologne.

Last edited:
Back