• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #16

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
OK, I'll admit this isn't an idea that originated with me......I saw it on a picture posted by someone else on this forum. This is a great idea, though!

I had been storing my lathe tools face down through some holes drilled in a board that was mounted on the side of my shop cart. The problem with that is it was a huge hassle to see the business end of the tools that way. Now, I can see at a glance what tool is where!:cool2:

Last week, I finally got myself some PVC pipe and cut them to length. I just happened to have an old ammunition crate that's been hanging around the shop for years......the tubes fit nice and snug into the ammo crate without any means of attachment. The handles on the crate allow portability within my shop.

I wish I had done this years ago.......what a great convenience!

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 258
looks like the one I built a few years ago:D

mine is on a rolling draw stand that I can use close to either lathe.

IAN

Attachments

• IM002663a.jpg
    IM002663a.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 139
There is something about that many sharp pointed things pointed up where someone could stumble into them makes me nervous. one person I know had their tools in a 5 gal plastic bucket set up like the lazy susan, made a nasty cut.if you stand them up like that make sure they are up high.

Website
www.turnedoutright.com
Tool Carts

I have been using this for many years.
I constantly get criticized for the safety issue.
I have 3 lathes and this is the only way I have found to make tools portable and also easily accessible to all them.

I just roll it over to the lathe I am working on.

I have learned to put the "pointy" tools on the back row.

In reality storing tools like this is no more dangerous than turning itself, in all cases be careful.

http://blog.turnedoutright.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/trinity-039.thumbnail.jpg

I also use a similar approach for my other tools.

http://www.turnedoutright.com/2008/03/17/tool-cart/

Attachments

• toolcart.jpg
    toolcart.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi,

architects often use cardboard cupboards to store the plans of the houses they are designing for the moment. They are very strong and very effective and not expensive because they are made of paper.

I use that to store my gouges. I put some sawdust at the bootom to arrive at the right height for each one and I put wheels under it so I can drive it whereever i want.

Squirrel

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
There's some great ideas here, gentlemen.......from the mundane like mine, ihmserv's, and Turnedoutrights........to the absolutely beautiful, like Griesbach's lazy susan.

......all seem well organized and serves the purpose well.

If anyone else would like to post their ideas, and methods (preferably with photos), I'm sure there's many of us who would like to check it out!

Thanks to those who posted.

otis of cologne

PS: I realize there is a certain risk to putting the sharp edges facing up......but, like all things in life......you usually have to give something to get something! For me, it's an insignificant risk that is dwarfed by the benefits.

ooc

Here's my solution for lathe tool and accessory storage. The tool rack is a variation of a fishing rod rack. I got the idea for the tool rack from a tip by Dick West that appeared in American Woodworker.

George

Attachments

• IMG_1405 (2).JPG
    IMG_1405 (2).JPG
    93 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1406 (3).JPG
    IMG_1406 (3).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1412 (4).JPG
    IMG_1412 (4).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
George,

I like your tool rack, simple, compact, and effective, thanks for posting the pictures. I have a question though, can you tell me what the deal is with the metal on those first three gouges on the left (and the small roughing gouge, and the spindle gouge at the right end)?

Just curious,
Myron

Myron,

Thanks for the compliment.

The gold tools have Sorby's "Titanium Nitride" coating which, they claim in their advertising, "enhances tool hardness which in turn significantly extendes the life of the tools. In tests Gold tools lasted three times longer than conventional High Speed Steel tools..."

After using them, I can not tell any performance advantage but they do cost a bit more. In reality I think one could say "they saw me coming."

George

Last edited:
Back