• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #18

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
(Note: This tip is for the novice......I am not presuming you experienced turners haven't figured this out!)

Do you have trouble getting that smooth artistic curvature on your bowl while shear scraping.

Well, there could be other reasons for it, but here's one major factor that could help you out! All scrapers are ground with a sharp edge on the bottom of the tool. When you angle the scraper, that sharp edge doesn't want to slide on the surface of your tool rest very well. The remedy for this is quick and easy........and one application will last a long time.

Photo #1.....

Simply take that sharp bottom edge off with your grinder......being sure to keep the tool steel vertical, or parallel to the plane of your grinding wheel. Holding it in this fashion, you will be making your grinding marks in the direction most of your shear scraping needs will require. You will only have to take off the sharp edge, so one or two quick swipes will be enough. If you go over the entire length of the steel, you will never have to do this again.

Photo #2.....

After you've taken off that bottom sharp edge, go over the length of the edges with a piece of emery. I've found that 100gt will do well, but the finer you choose to go, the smoother that corner will be......and the more you'll have to work it to take out those grinding marks. (Your choice on how fine you wish to go.)

NOW, take that scraper and do some very fine shearing cuts on your workpiece. You'll find the difference to be a great improvement on how well your scraper bottom corner will slide across your tool rest.......

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Scraper bottom (2).jpg
    Scraper bottom (2).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 157
  • Scraper emory (2).jpg
    Scraper emory (2).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, The same trick works on the skew as well. Also don't forget to dress the tool rest as well.

Yep, very true, Bob.......

Good comment.

otis of cologne

I find it easier to get an even roundover the length of the shaft by doing it on a belt sander at about 45 degrees to the direction of travel.

Not having a bench belt sander I knocked up a cradle for the hand-held unit to sit upside down in.

odie

TOTW Team
I find it easier to get an even roundover the length of the shaft by doing it on a belt sander at about 45 degrees to the direction of travel.

Not having a bench belt sander I knocked up a cradle for the hand-held unit to sit upside down in.

That'll work, rsser......

Whatever means one uses to get to the desired end result ought to be just fine.

otis of cologne

Back