• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #3

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I got tired of folding and tearing strips of sandpaper....so, I came up with this little fix that works. (Actually, a friend of mine told me about this 25 some-odd years ago!) I used an old hacksaw blade, and screwed it onto a scrap piece of pine wood.....mounted so the teeth are just below the surface of the bottom. Just slap it down on the sandpaper and tear the strip off.....straight as an arrow! :D

Be sure to mark the strip with what grit it is.....(saying to myself) That's what the pencil is for, stupid! If you're like me, you often have strips of partially used sandpaper, and it's aggravating to not know for sure what grit it is. :mad:

Obie Juan....

Attachments

• sandpaper strip cutter (2).jpg
    sandpaper strip cutter (2).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
You bet on the pencil, Odie. Especially with small steps in the grits, it's best to be certain of which one you're using. As small strips of sandpaper have been known to tear during use, I've developed the habit of writing the grit number all over the backs.

[Of course, it'd be nice if the manufacturers put the grit number in more places, but don't hold your breath. It occurs to me, though, that a cheapo date stamp (less than about $5 at office supply stores such as Office Depot) could be customized to represent grits, perhaps by carving away some letters/numbers. Not sure what the translation would be. Could also use several of the toy stamps with individual numbers and tweezers, I suppose.]

Joe

Last edited:
Back