• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Odie's crazy idea #7

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've been using the spindle index pin to lock the spindle when I do some hand sanding of a troublesome spot on a bowl in progress. In the back of my mind, I've always worried a little that I may, sooner or later, forget about the index pin....and start the lathe. That would be a disaster! After reading about someone else making this very mistake, doing damage to his lathe in the process, I decided to do something about it.

I came up with this "index guard". It slips over the on switch.....making it impossible to turn on the lathe. Now, when I use the index pin, I don't have to worry about accidentally starting the lathe.

The hook allows me to put it on the back of the headstock, on the lamp base. That way it's right there and I won't have to go somewhere else to get it.

Now, I don't have to worry anymore!!!!!

otis of cologne

Attachments

• index guard (2).jpg
    index guard (2).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
A kindred spirit! lol.
I've got another one that hangs on my bandsaw with "angle on table" on one side and "tension off" on the other. I guess you can figure how I came to use THAT sign.:rolleyes:
My bandsaw sign says "Tension Blade" on one side and "De-tension Blade" on the other. It's a 3" x 5" scrap 5/8" plywood that stands on edge on the bandsaw table.

And yes, lathes make a nasty sound when you turn them on with the index pin in. Or at least mine does. :p I like your idea for a switch stop, although my lather has a paddle switch. I should just get in the habit of removing the switch lock whenever I lock the spindle. :rolleyes:

There's an old rule that a lot of us follow. 'Don't turn on the lathe without first hand spinning it'. In addition to the possibility it is in in one of several ways locked, this also avoids an out of round blank hitting the tool rest. After a while it becomes something one automaticaly does.

Malcolm Smith.

Back