• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Off Lathe Sphere decorating Set Up *PIC*

Website
www.dickgerard.com
With my cancer surgery only 1 week away, I have been busy getting things ready so that I can keep busy during the 6-8 week recovery period. The surgeon says i will be unable to and not feel like lifting anything over 10 lbs, so, I have been preparing for things I CAN do that are light weight and I can do sitting down.

To that end, I put together this gizmo/jig/set-up that I use to decorate, carve, texture and color spheres. The basic set up is a Woodcut Pro Hold jig with a vacuum feature. I can hook this up to a vacuum pump to hold the sphere steady while I mangle them. The vacuum chuck is home made from poplar, threaded with a Beall Threading Tap. The gasket is fun foam from Michael's.

The short length of hose runs to a ball valve designed for gas, and 2 male fittings from the water plumbing section. I prefer the gas ball valve because of the plastic "T" handle. The lever action ball valves always bite my hand just below the finger next to my thumb on the left hand. I did not use any clamps or teflon tape or pipe dope and the system works great. I did my initial trials on the General big lathe where I do have a vacuum gauge and it was pulling nearly 26 inches of mercury, so I know it works.

This first image is just an overall shot.

The second shot is a close up of the ball valve and short hose and male fittings.

The third picture is a close up showing a sphere already marked out. I do this on the lathe so I can get nice uniform lines all the way around. Then, when I carve or burn by hand, and some "inaccuracy" is introduced, it is not quite as sloppy as if I had done the whole thing free hand. Transalation: I can't draw worth a tinker's dam and I use every means available to make it better.

The last picture is a shot of a sphere already woodburned and colored.

In use, I use to quick clamps to hold this to my work bench. I can sit in a chair or stool, and, using the handles on the Pro Mount, I can position the sphere in any orientation to make the final decoration easier. This also means I can do this without trying to hold a hot woodburning pen in one hand and the sphere in the other. Sure I can only work on one part of the sphere at a time, but a slight adjustment to the ball valve and I can reposition the sphere to expose another area. I have already pencilled in the design on about 50 spheres of various sizes to keep me busy. This week, I will mark out another 50 or so, maybe more, so that I can stay busy.

Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• SphereCarvingJig_01.jpg
    SphereCarvingJig_01.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 122
  • SphereCarvingJig_02.jpg
    SphereCarvingJig_02.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 102
  • SphereCarvingJig_03.jpg
    SphereCarvingJig_03.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 105
  • SphereCarvingJig_04.jpg
    SphereCarvingJig_04.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 119

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Really nice set up. That is good to know about the ball valves -- I have done the same hand pinching thing with the lever type ball valves. I envy and admire your skill in texturing and coloring.

Nice. Very creative use of the vacuum mount. I also like your idea of the gas ball valves. When I setup my vacuum chuck, I believe I'll follow your lead and use them as well.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Kevin

Back