• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

One thing leads to another...

There was a recent thread here about "Round nose Scrapers" that had some good input from some of the regulars here, including John Lucas who attached a video of Ernie Conover. A small portion of Connover's video included the old fashioned idea of using an "Armrest" tool. Then, within days of John's link, Craft Supplies sent out an email link to a video featuring the great Allen Batty demonstrating Thread Chasing. I mean no offense to Stewart, the third generation of the Batty turners, but Allen made the best turning video I ever watched. He was so smooth, relaxed, comfortable, and easy going, he made the watcher comfortable. If there was a "snick" here and there as he touched the gouge to the wood he didn't apologize or try to point out his slight error in initial presentation, he just kept going and worked it out with repeated cuts.
The guy was such a master and wasted no time with every single little nuance of tool control or sharpening bevel, it was a refreshing joy to learn from.
Even if you are not interested in "Thread Chasing", it's worth a watch.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I really like Alan's videos. I watched his thread chasing video a lot when I was trying to learn that skill. Of course I also enjoy Stewarts demos and he's going to be one of our demonstrators at the TAW symposium in January.

I guess I'll try thread chasing. Too old to chase women. :oops:
Tom, thanks for the thread and video.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
I watched Pete Wade (www.thebarkingtree.com) chase some threads at the December meeting of our woodturning chapter. Pete makes urns and threads the tops.

He showed us how to do it, and then showed us this contraption for threading.

IMG_8376.JPG

He moved the chuck from the lathe to the large screw. This is significantly easier, and works for woods that don't take threads well.

Mike Peace wrote an article about a similar approach. Here's a link from his blog. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Ng9K34IcxIMnY5SFJMYThRVlk/edit

By keeping the piece in the chuck, the threads were cut concentric to the turning axis.

Rich

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have a nice collection of chasers, I got most of them from Ebay UK and sometimes John Berkeley has some out of his web site, or you can email him. I had Doug Thompson make me an inside tool, one of Bill Jones favorite tool, and also he sells the best point tool. I use these tools a lot in my box making and thread chasing. Also you will need a recess tool, I made one and bought a nice one from Ahsley Isles direct from them in England... Thread chasing is an addiction, turners beware!!!!!

Back