• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway 2436 owners or user's

I am at a point of upgrading. owned a powermatic, but still wanted MAYO.

Is there any bad feedback or good on the ONEWAY 2436 or customer service,
that someone can tell me.
I know it's expensive and can get another Mustard power but keep leaning towards the 2436..... last lathe I want to buy, I like doing big turning's. Have reserched others and still come back to the same feeling's.....

Most posts are on the Powermatic but need to know about ONEWAY

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Large Lathes

I don't know your budget, but I purchased a VB 36 bowl lathe two years ago and it is one of the highest quality pieces of machinery I have ever used. I turned two bowls, 20" by 11" deep. The lathe handled them like they were light weight. ( each blank weighed close to 90 lbs.) I hope to turn even larger bowls as soon as I find larger logs. ( The bowls sold @ $250. each) The power ( 3 hp), smoothness, speed control and tool rest system are the best I have used, and over the last 18 years I have used a wide variety of lathes.

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
Oneway

I've traded in my Delta DL 40 some years back for a Oneway 2036. This was at the time of the Greensboro NC symposium. The VB 36 was there as well. I went to the Greensboro Symposium specifically to buy a large lathe.

My recollection was that Oneway made only 16 lathes as thier introductory offer. The price, then, was way over my head and the price of the VB-36 was way over that. I left the symposium without a new lathe.

After a couple of weeks lamenting about not buying a new lathe because of the cost, my wife broke down and said, "just go buy the damn thing!"

When I called Oneway to buy one of the lathes from the symposium I was surprised to learn that they sold every one they made and I would be placed on a waiting list. I got number 42....I think

Since then I have been a Oneway guy. Every thing works the way it supposed to. At one time or another I have owned every model they make (except the Sit Down) which I may own someday. I cannot speak highly enough about the product or their customer service. The Clay family have built a quality product and back it up with sterling customer service

Now I have a 2436 and love it

Angelo

Just a little over a year and a half ago when I wanted to get into wood turning I had read and studied what to get, and had settled on a PM 3520. I located a used one about 70 miles away and I talked with the owner we agreed on the price etc. He always had just one more bowl to do for someone, or a vacation. We talked for every two weeks for almost 6 months, and I was still waiting. One morning I decided that I couldn't wait any longer, started looking and tracked down a used VB 36. Within a week it was in my shop. By the time I got to my 4th bowl (14" Dia. Cherry) I needed some answers, found a mentor went to his shop and turned on a Oneway 2436 for a short time. That was when I really appreciated my VB 36. For a guy who had never turned on a wood lathe I think that speaks volumes. Not to say the Oneway is not good quality but, for all of the guys that are trying to decide on what to get, I think that they should turn on something with quality first, then adjust down ward to fit the budget or just wait until a deal comes along on what they really want. Used VB's come onto the market once in a while, might be worth the wait.

Good Luck,

Dave

I had my PM for 8 years and then stepped up to a Robust American Beauty. I didn't look at the Oneway. Primary reason is I prefer the sliding headstock. My lathe sits in a corner, and outboard bowl turning isn't possible. That ruled out the Oneway and Serious lathes. I looked at the VB36, and no matter which set up it had, it just said 'bowl lathe', and although that is 99% of my turnings, I didn't get it. Robust quality is second to none. It does have the added feature of adjustable legs which go up in 2 inch increments. No having the legs up on a 4 x 4 to get it to height. Excellent portability set up as well. Tilt away tailstock. Do check it out.

robo hippy

Is there any bad feedback or good on the ONEWAY 2436 or customer service, that someone can tell me.
The upgrade from Powermatic to Oneway is a small upgrade. At this level of lathe it is more about what you become accustom to. The Oneway lathe will work slightly differently and it will take you many many hours to re-train yourself to get the same level of use out of the Oneway as you currently have with the Powermatic. You may find that there are some things you can easily do with the Powermatic can't be done using the Oneway. The Oneway is a 33x5 headstock spindle. That means that you will need to re-insert your chucks and there isn't a market for used inserts (you may be able to give them away).

The Oneway is a terrific lathe. I was a bit disappointed when I first got my 2436. Up until then I had worked on a Record Power CL3. The process of woodturning for me was very interactive. Belt changes, oiling the headstock, aligning the headstock, swiveling the headstock, adjusting the banjo, moving the belt for the desired speed. I was constantly making adjustments to the lathe when turning. So when I spent $$$$ on a 2436 I was disappointed that my interaction with adjusting the lathe was almost non-existent. Turns out that all those dollars make the lathe disappear so that you can focus on turning.

Adding the RF filter, breaking resister, remote on/off are all a pain to install latter on to consider getting these installed when you order the lathe.

The remote on/off is a must have.

If anyone listens to AM radio the RF filter should be included. The powermatic has RF issues so if you haven't had any problems with AM radio using the powermatic you will likely not need the RF filter.

The breaking resister is a two edged sword. If you turn larger pieces then the breaking resister will let you stop the lathe faster. This also means that there will be more "dismounting" force when stopping large pieces. If you use stronghold chucks (or oneway faceplates) with the set screws then you can take advantage of the faster stopping.

3HP is a must because it will insure that your lathe is never underpowered (less reason to change the belt).

Large outboard bed. I have this and get almost zero use out of it. But if 30" and larger pieces are in your future then...

Short bed extension. This is a perfect product for the inboard side of the lathe. The 36" bed (actualy 36" between centers) puts the point of the live center in your elbow when roughing out large bowls. The short bed extension lets you put the tailstock "behind" the control pendent so the point of the live center is out of your way. The tailstock "swinger" could be a solution but was not available when I bought my 2436.

Short bed extension. If you want a short bed lathe mount this on the outboard side of the lathe and it is like sliding the headstock on your powermatic.

Dust hood. I bought one of the first dust hoods from Oneway. I had to upgrade my dust collector but with the dust hood and DC on there is no dust escaping when sanding. That's right, zero dust, even when sanding the outside edge of a 20" platter.

96 position indexing. It is cheap enough and adds 32 and 96 indexing. Even if you never use it the indexing is out of the way.

Stainless steel bed. If you turn a fair amount of green wood, especially oak, this might be a good consideration. Note that stainless is not magnetic and a little softer than the regular steel.

Service with Oneway is terrific. First off you are likely never going to need service. But if you do need service Oneway stands behind their lathes. I damaged the stop button bezel on my remote on/off. The effect was that I couldn't start the lathe, the stop button was being held down. I didn't know what the problem was I only knew that the lathe wouldn't start. So I called Oneway and spoke with Kevin. I was at work and I couldn't see my lathe while talking with Kevin. Kevin took my problem seriously and gave me his home phone number so I could talk with him later that day when I could be at my lathe. He indicated that the most likely cause of the problem was the on or off switch. When I got home I discovered the bur I had raised on the remote off switch bezel when I dropped the box. I cut away the bur and the lathe again worked fine. I e-mailed oneway that the problem had been solved and thanked Kevin for his help.

I have talked to Kevin at AAW symposiums in the past. Oneway has positive woodturning reasons for all design features. For example the hole in the banjo for the tool rest is round opposite the locking lever but oversized on the locking lever side. This is done so that the tool rest is easy to move when the locking lever is loose but rock solid when the locking lever is tightened.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I disagree that the PM to 2436 is a minor upgrade, but I turn on a 3 HP 2436 and had a 2036 before that. Yes, I have used the PM many times in demonstrating.

I would say if you are going with a Oneway, definitely get the upgrade to indexing and the breaking resistor, as they can't necessarily be installed later.

If you look at the cost or these upgrades, the stainless ways, compare it to the Robust and such. Stainless ways are nice but not mandatory, but are standard on the Robust.

If I sell my Oneway, I would go to a Robust ( with a 33mm spindle)

Buy the Oneway 2436, there's a reason you see used VB's for sale. You don't see used Oneways come up for sale that often, unless someone dies and the family sells it off. I ordered mine and had people wanted to buy it and pay me more than what I paid for it. Yea I had to wait a month to have it made, it's my last lathe. My first lathe was a Jet 1442 1hp, second a Jet 1642 2hp and LAST Oneway 2436 3hp. I did buy my boys a Jet 1014 mini until they get older to enjoy the Oneway. When I was looking to upgrade, the Vicmarc, VB, Robust and Powermatic was also considered.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 77

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Joel,
Oneway service is great. the 2436 is a great machine.

I got a Oneway 2436 in 1997.
Sherry got a Oneway 2416 in 2008.

the Powermatic is a real nice machine and is more machine than the average turner will ever need.

My general answer to "should I buy a Oneway or a Powermatic"?
is Buy the Powermatic and spend the money you save on classes.

Most people will get more enjoyment and better turnings with 3 classes and Powermatic than they will with the Oneway. You already have the Powermatic.

If you are lucky you might be able to turn on a Oneway, Stubby, Robust,VB...
You can then see how important the features of each would be to you.
Come to Saint Paul. You can probably get some time on all the machines.

I like the OneWay a lot. That doesn't mean it is the right lathe for you.

happy turning,
Al

Last edited:
I like hollow forms so I feel the VB is out, have been looking at the ROBUST as a close 2nd do to the stainless steal bedways as a standard.

When I had the PM never moved the head stock for bowls so not thinkink it will be a issue, will have a 3hp and break resistor, plus 96 indexing put on when ordering. And thinking of the stainless steal bedways also but $800 is alot

Have not really turned in three years do to DIVORCE and winning custody of two little girls, and a whole lot more of murphys law. Have a workers comp. case coming up and will bank most of it but want my TOY. Had to sell PM and some other stuff to pay lawyers But well worth it in the long run.

Dream of turning everyday, when i started bought a new mini lathe Delta, week later got a used Jet and a week after that bought the powermatic. Plus vacume, tools and all kind of stuff, when the VORTEX bug bites it bites HARD.

Went to a friends house and turned for a weekend and was just like riding a bike and the feeling was still there, So this is why I am asking, only want to buy my last LATHE, with out the feeling ofwanting more. Friends was a PM also....

It makes my back hurt to see people turn bowls on a lathe with a sliding headstock, and not move the headstock down to the end of the lathe. You don't realize how much bending over you do till you try it.

robo hippy

One Way

I bought a 24/36 in 2000 and do not have one regret...have had a few others and used a lot of other lathes..........if you can do it....you will not regret it.........

It makes my back hurt to see people turn bowls on a lathe with a sliding headstock, and not move the headstock down to the end of the lathe. You don't realize how much bending over you do till you try it.

robo hippy

Of course, if you cut at 9:00 to center, or from 3:00 to 9:00 you never have to lean. Guess it's a "style" that makes you bend, since I do both standing straight up and letting the tool do the reach.

EDIT: Not to mention that the outboard side is already at the end....

Last edited:
When it came down to two lathes, it was the Robust that came in as the second. Both the sweet sixteen and the AB were considered.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
I got my 2436 in 99. I got it because most of my favorite turners worked on one. I got the 3 horse with the large outboard and the on off you move around. I had custom tool rests made from 1 inch plate steel and I had a machinest do me a new spindle with 1 1/2- 8 threads. If I got the lathe today I would leave the spindle alone as many aftermarket items are now made for the thread size. If you dont work off the tip of a toolrest the cast ones are just fine. I got way to much harmonics for me. I dont see me getting another lathe. The large outboard may seem like overkill. I have a large donut jig that weighs in at about 40 lbs and takes the whole outboard. I can reverse chuck about a 34 inch bowl on it. I use that chuck maybe once or twice a year. So mostly the smaller outboard would be just fine. but I am very glad I got the big one. I know of no one who once they worked out whatever kinks they thought the lathe had wants to go to another product. So if you get it you will not be disapointed.

Of course, if you cut at 9:00 to center, or from 3:00 to 9:00 you never have to lean. Guess it's a "style" that makes you bend, since I do both standing straight up and letting the tool do the reach.

EDIT: Not to mention that the outboard side is already at the end....

I usually cut from somewhere around 7:30 until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, sometimes later. Nonetheless, I'm sure I speak for others when I say I have no idea what you're talking about, but your snarky "style" is still clear as a bell.

Back towards the topic, I've got a PM with the sliding headstock, but due to my shop layout it's not convenient to turn at the end. so I don't do it often. Although I've adapted an upright posture when turning, I do find I can stand straighter with less twisting when I am at the end.

And back to the original topic, I don't know any Oneway 2436 owners who are unhappy with the decision...much like the Robust American Beauty owners. I think my choice between the two would be the Robust, largely because I like Robust's magnetic remote box better than the remote on a stick approach Oneway uses.

Last edited:
I keep the remote box on my headstock, in exactly the same position it is on the PM. Old habit partly. If I had it on the body or the lathe, won't stick to the ways, I have to lean over to hit it.

robo hippy

I usually cut from somewhere around 7:30 until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning, sometimes later. Nonetheless, I'm sure I speak for others when I say I have no idea what you're talking about, but your snarky "style" is still clear as a bell.

It's the direction you you hold/push/pull the tool. Simple enough?

Understand your puzzlement, as I have the same problem trying to understand why people keep saying you have to bend to turn. They obviously do not approach the turning as I suggest. You can lean and push to scrape your way straight into the work, but why on earth would you want to do something that causes you discomfort? Much less say that all who have turned and continue to turn between centers since the lathe was invented are pitiable? Obvious from postings that some make some strange moves, even if they don't have to pretzel themselves to do so. Still scratching my head to try and figure out why a guy would have trouble with bumping the handle into the wall behind the lathe, as was posted recently. I'd like a picture of that cut.

Take a peek.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=HollowTwo001.mp4

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=PillarSmall.mp4

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=CherryPeelIn.mp4

I'm suspicious, based on people talking about "pull" cutting the outside, that some might even lean on a straightforward shaping cut.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=CherryPeelOut.mp4

The tool's nearly horizontal all the time. 9 to 3

If you are using a bevel rubbing cut, then you either have to extend your arms out from your body, lean over the lathe, or have a bowl lathe set up (short bed, sliding headstock, or pivoting headstock) to allow you to get your body into position for tool support which is close in to your body.

What isn't obvious from MM's videos is that he is not using a bevel rubbing cut.

robo hippy

Website
ubeaut.com.au
If you are using a bevel rubbing cut, then you either have to extend your arms out from your body, lean over the lathe, or have a bowl lathe set up (short bed, sliding headstock, or pivoting headstock) to allow you to get your body into position for tool support which is close in to your body.

What isn't obvious from MM's videos is that he is not using a bevel rubbing cut.

robo hippy
Too true.:cool2:

I've seen your videos pretty much every time the subject comes up. I'm glad your methods work well for you. I really am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Vaugn, my remote for my Oneway is a box on a long cord with a magnet. Dont know what you mean remote on a stick? The main on off is on a pole that swivels. Since I have a junk back I have my spindle height chest high so I stand straight. Any bending for any lenght of time at the lathe kicks my backside. I use platforms when I want to be higher.

I love my Oneway 1640. I have the outboard attachments for it and it is wonderful for hollowing my bowls and Hollow Forms from the short end of the lathe. I really don't know how one would hollow free hand, a small opening HF without being at the end of the lathe. I've seen pictures of Ellsworth sitting on the bed of his lathe while hollowing a HF, but I think I'm more comfortable standing at the short end of my lathe. A armbrace handle would be real hard to use from the side of the lathe. I feel that a lathe should be versatile so one can take advantage of all its features as needed. One should not have a narrow view point. I know some fly-fisherman that only use dry flies for trout. This view point is great when the fish are hitting them, but it really limits them in their ability to have a good day when the fish are not hitting the surface. I personal feel being versatile in woodturning is as important as it is in my other passion of fishing. My Oneway lathe is very versatile and I would recommend it highly. If I was to consider a larger lathe the Stubby would be a lathe I would look at closely.
Happy Shopping,
Jack Mincey

Website
www.mljwoods.com
Oneway

I have just posted my 2436 for sale in the forum want ads. I have purchased another one that will replace this one. I also own a VB-36. I love both machines but if I were forced to have only one it would be without question the Oneway since with a bed and tailstock it is a more versatile machine. When I bought it a few years ago, the things that had been in my mind that my old lathes would not allow me to produce started becoming a reality. Most of my work is hollow vessels that start between centers on the 2436 then I transfer them to the VB-36 to be hollowed. I know there is a bed option and a short tailstock option for the VB but both of those are a bit pricey after spending 8 large on just the machine itself. For some of my very large work the VB is my only choice due to it's massive bearings, but how many of us have been selling large pieces in this econmy? My father just purchased a Oneway 1640. It is a nice lathe too, with the outboard extension you can turn 24" in diameter but it requires a special toolrest and if you would like to utilize a tailstock you must have a riser block. Good luck on your quest....

Michael L Jones

Back