• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Mastercut Gouges and P & N Tools

I am looking for some opinions on Oneway's Mastercut bowl gouges and any of the Patience and Nicholson Tools from Australia. One of the local turners said he had a problem with P&N tools chipping while turning. Has anyone else had similar problems? They seem to be well value priced come unhandled (which gives me an excuse to make more shavings)

Thanks

GK:eek:

I have 2 P&N tools and have no problem with them chipping,I have had problems with them when sharpening them they seam to grind good for a second and bang theres a large piece missing. I've started using Thompson Tools and love the tools and he has some nice handles also.

The 1/2 double-ended gouge from OW is my favorite. I have a conventional grind with a back bevel for inside and an Irish grind on the other for shaping. I put a knob on a Oneway handle like Rolly Monroe's handle and its very quick to change from one grind to the other.
I have several of Doug's gouges, but I seem to grab for the OW more often, than not. I think its the shape of the flute and I'm more comfortable with it.

I have a fleet of p&n bowl, spindle gouges as we as a roughing a couple of skews. The only time I have seen any "chipping" of any turning tool was when the grind angel was too steep.

I do know p&n had a batch a couple of years ago where flutes were off center. Lee Valley certainly will not hesitate to replace your tool under either situation.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I own and use both. The main difference is the steel as far as I know. The Oneway uses an M4 and the P&N an M2.
I never liked the double ended Oneways, I think it is more vibration. I did have an issue with inconstant flutes in the Oneways, but they replaced them.
Look at the Thompsons' also , probably about the same cost, I like the flutes better and they are from better steel.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
I also own and use both. I tend to save the oneways for demos so I dont have to haul so many tools. M4 is great steel. P&N at M2 is very good also. I am still trying to get the hang of Dougs tools. I bought the U shape so am having a time getting to know how to use them. I also agree that to steep an angle leaves a very thin edge and in my style of turning I will break bits off when going through knots. I have not compared price of say P&N to Thompson. I use the P&N detail gouges, roughing gouge and 1/2 in bowl gouge every day. But I keep the Thompson and Hamlets right there also so when one is dull I just grab a sharp one. I do not keep the oneways at the lathe so I dont wear them out. I have maybe 10 years on the roughing gouge and 1/4 in detail gouge. I have gone through several 1/2in detail gouges and several 1/2 in bowl gouges. Thats 1/2 in flutes in 5/8ths bar. As far as edge holding oneway and hamlet do last a tiny bit longer than the P&N. I keep moving Dougs tools around to get best cuts but I must be doing something wrong as they wont hold an edge for me. He did tell me the U shape is a whole different critter than a V shape. I thought I had U shaped flutes so thats why i got them. But I know its great steel so will keep working with them. He did send me a 3/8ths flute V shape gouge. I am trying to leave his grind on it. I like it. But I dont think its holding an edge any longer than some other tools. If so its not by much. And once again that could be my problem.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kelly I was like that at first also. I kept using the Thompson tools and had trouble deciding if they were any better or held an edge longer. Over about a year for whatever reason I use the Thompson gouge almost exclusively. Maybe I just learned to sharpen them to suit my style or maybe they do hold an edge longer. Hard to tell on wood. However I did turn a bunch of aluminum for an artist and it dulls tools fairly quickly. I switched back and forth between the thompson and my other brands. The Thompson would just keep on cutting. My other tools are Sorby, Henry Taylor, and a couple of off brands.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have 1/4 Tompson with a U that works great with a Michelson grind. It replaced a Glaser gouge with a similar flute. It is my got to finishing tool for anything thin and it hollows small objects on command. I came back from St Paul with 2 more Thompson tools.

I have a PN detail gouge and spindle roughing gouge. Both work fine but I rarely do turnings that require these tools

My main recommendation is to avoid the cheap Chinese tools.
I have seen two pinnacle bowl gouges that had the flute so off center they could not be sharpened with a jig.

About 6-7 years ago when I first got into turning I bought a bunch of P&N tools. I wanted unhandled tools because I figured making handles would be my first turning projects. There were very few tools available without handles at that time. I have the large spindle roughing gouge, two smaller spindle gouges, two bowl gouges, a small detail gouge, and my favorite the very large Supra gouge. Initially, I used the grind profile that they came with. I've since reground most of them to a more swept back profile. Every one has performed flawlessly. There are no doubt better gouges available, but I've not been disappointed with my P&Ns.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Speaking of Chinese tools I decided to try some of the Benjamins best sold by Penn State. Boy are they cheap in price. I bought a whole set cheaper than one good gouge. For beginners they are a no brainer. I know its hit or miss on the steel. I guess I got a hit. I let my daughter have my M4 1/4 in. spindle gouge and have been using the Bs best. I have zero complaint with it. I did not care for the profile of the Half inch bowl gouge so sold it to a turner for 5 bucks. If you dont mind taking a gamble that the batch of steel is good you wont mind if a newbie stands at the grinder to long. 4 spindle gouges are about 50 bucks for the set. 3 bowl gouges are about 53. All the ones I got the flutes are fine and work well in a jig.

P&N Spindle Roughing Gouge

I have had a 1" P&N Spindle Roughing Gouge for over a year. It sharpens well, stays sharp and has taken all the abuse I could give it.

When getting started, my first bowl gouge was homemade from a piece of 5/8" diameter 4340. A 4" grinder with the wheel on edge made a U shaped flute about 2" long. Quenched and tempered and watch out bowl blanks, here it comes.

It did not take too long before the short edge life was tiresome, and I bought a HSS Benjamens Best 5/8" bowl gouge. Fingernail grind. I hated that gouge from the start. It did stay sharp longer than the 4340, but the V flute was just that, almost an acute V in the bottom of the flute. Clogged easily, and the bevel was almost 1/2" wide in some areas. Absolutely hated it.

Looking for U flutes pretty much turned up only two suppliers, and one of them is 10% vanadium, cryogenic treated. Since my first gouge was a U flute, it was love at first bite with the Thompson 5/8" U flute. Stayed sharp longer than the 4340, and the flute shape was better than my homemade.

The Benjamens Best has since been reground to work the inside bottom of deeper bowls, and it does OK there with the addition of a longer handle. I touch up the edge before each use, so edge life is not something that I can compare.

I have seen other Benjamens Best 5/8" bowl gouges, and the flute shapes seem to vary from one gouge to the other. The one I ended up with had the worst (IMO) flute shape. Maybe the shape of the flute is hit and miss also.

I do have one Oneway 5/8" bowl gouge, but it is in the rack on the less often used lathe, and doesn't see much use. I do think that it is a good tool. Although is it a V flute, it has a generous enough radius in the bottom of the V that it doesn't clog often.

Website
www.greenleafwoodstudio.blogspot.com
I have a 5/8" Supa gouge and a 1-1/4" skew by P&N. Very nice tools indeed. I use the skew a lot but the gouge very little. When I was looking for 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges I decided to try the Thompsons. I all but stopped using the P&N gouge. I think you will be happy with P&N tools.

Hello All, My First post:)
I have 2 P&N Gouges.
I detail gouge, And 1 -1/2" bowl gouge
I have used the bowl gouge for a long time now with no problems
Its actually one of my favorite gouges for finishing cuts

Daner

Back