• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway sit down lathe

image.jpeg
Oneway 1236 SD
I was wondering if anyone has tried this lathe. My wife has osteoporosis and this looks awesome.
If anyone has tried how does bango and tails stock slide? Any sticking issues as lathe turned 90' from level. Being rotated full 90 degrees one might think the weight of tail stock on side would bind on lathe ways and have trouble sliding.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The ONEWAY lathe works well at 90 degrees.

Many people who turn sitting like the lathe vertical or tilted 30-45 degrees.

You might look at the Robust Scout it tilts 30degrees and has knee room when it is vertical.
http://www.turnrobust.com/lathe-overview/scout/

A simple test bed is to mount a mini lathe on a tilting table or fixed at 30 degrees.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I helped a wheel chair bound guy learn to turn using a mini lathe. We found that if we tilted it forward at 15 degrees it worked great. This was long before any sit down lathes came out. The Robust tilts forward at 15 degrees and if I remember correctly a few other angles as well..

Back