1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Osmo

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jamie Straw, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

2. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

That looks very interesting. There has to be someplace other than Oregon, to buy it.

3. John Torchick

John Torchick

I did a search and found World Class Supply in Delaware is a dealer. Didn't go farther than that.

4. robo hippy

robo hippy

Since we have a Cross Cut here in Eugene, I will have to check it out. Any time there is wax in it, I think Carnuba, which has to be solvent based to get any kind of flow unless you want to really heat it up. Not practical for floors.

robo hippy

5. Tom Albrecht

Tom Albrecht

I'd be interested in hearing what you find out Reed. I called the Seattle store, they are out of the "Top Oil" and don't do any shipping. I also called a local flooring distributor in IL who doesn't carry the "Top Oil" and had no interest in getting it. (It's a slow hunting day here in WI today).

6. Mike Brazeau

Mike Brazeau

Home Page:
    They do have a food safe version. We were introduced to their products early this year when the Canadian GM did a brief presentation at a guild meeting. A few members are using it. The 3054 Satin Polyx Oil apparently produces a nice sheen. The waxes and oils are blends that are not common in NA. Have a look at their web site. Flat guys love it too. Stuff is expensive but goes a long way apparently.

7. Yvan Santin

Yvan Santin

Hi All,
    I have never really posted on this forum because I feel that I am always the one that is constantly learning from all of you here and don't have much more to add then has already been said. Maybe I can help a little with this one.

I have used the Satin Polyx Oil extensively on both table tops and bowls. Once you get the hang of it, it is fairly easy to apply. I find that it really brings the figure out of the wood without "yellowing" it like an oil such as Danish oil will. As Mike said, the Polyx Oil is food safe and gives a great look to the wood. There are a number of youtube posts that show it in use.

My application method kind of goes like this:
    - apply it with a non-abrasive 3M or Norton pad (the Norton one is white).
    - for flat wood, work it into the wood in circular patterns until there is a slight sheen to the piece, doing a small section at a time. For bowls, this stuff loves the heat build up so I just apply it with the pad and then add light pressure at low rpm while covering the surface
    - allow to sit for a few minutes (do not let it dry!) and then buff off with a clean piece of the same 3M or Norton pad
    - clean up any residue by buffing with a lint free cloth
    - you can apply multiple coats, I just typically do a light sanding with 400x grit prior to re-application
    - after the final coat I typically wetsand to 1500x going up through the grits just to give the workpiece that "soft" feel...that's just personal preference though

It is very resilient and if down the road there are scratches, etc it can be re-applied in localized areas without any witness lines.

Hope this helps

Bill Boehme likes this.
  8. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Are these pads like the 3M Scotch Brite pads? I saw that in addition to the familiar green pads, they have a "Fine" 6444 pad (brown), "Very Fine" 7447 pad (maroon), and "Ultra Fine" 7448 pad (gray).

9. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Yvan, thanks for the details, truly appreciated.
    That point has been emphasized by the people I've talked to, who used Osmo to finish all the stairs, tables and counters in the new BARN facility, which were made from locally harvested Big Leaf Maple.

I haven't had a chance to go to the specialty paint store yet. Is there a semi-gloss version? If not, does anyone have a technique to get such a surface look?

10. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

That's the main claim to fame, it seems -- flooring, big tables and such. Looking forward to trying it out on some bowls!

11. Bill Blasic

Bill Blasic

It is there on Amazon but not cheap.

12. Yvan Santin

Yvan Santin

Sorry Bill, haven't been on the forum in a while. I use the Norton pads and they are white. I will check to see what the part number is tonight. They are non-abrasive though.

Bill Boehme likes this.