• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Outboard Turning Problem with Left Hand, Right Hand...

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Hi friends,

I've a Woodfast m408 lathe, sold by Craft Supplies in 2003, 2004.

The thread on the head stock spindle is 1 1/4" x 8 on either side.

The lathe motor runs in forward and in reverse and here's my problem:

I'd like to do an outboard turning with a large diameter.

I've a OneWay stronghold chuck with left hand thread that fits in the outboard. However, when I run the lathe in reverse, and start working on the outboard side, as soon as I contact the wood (for example, from left towards the center---right) the chuck start to loosen up.

Please help me out. I need to know if there is a solution for this.

Thanks,
Jake

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi friends,

I've a Woodfast m408 lathe, sold by Craft Supplies in 2003, 2004.

The thread on the head stock spindle is 1 1/4" x 8 on either side.

The lathe motor runs in forward and in reverse and here's my problem:

I'd like to do an outboard turning with a large diameter.

I've a OneWay stronghold chuck with left hand thread that fits in the outboard. However, when I run the lathe in reverse, and start working on the outboard side, as soon as I contact the wood (for example, from left towards the center---right) the chuck start to loosen up.

Please help me out. I need to know if there is a solution for this.

Thanks,
Jake

Jake......I believe there is a solution.....If I'm understanding your needs correctly.

If your outboard spindle threads are left hand 1 1/4 x 8tpi threads, then the solution is to reverse the spindle rotation direction, so that it's turning clockwise as you face the headstock from that end. It will be turning the same direction whether you're turning inboard, or outboard. From the outboard side, you would have to use your tools on the right side, instead of the left side, as with inboard turning.

Another option might be to adapt a set-screw into the Oneway thread adaptor, but I don't believe the Woodfast has a hardened spindle. I have a Woodfast 908 that's a few years older than yours (I bought mine in 1992), and I know my spindle isn't hardened. Using a set screw against a non-hardened spindle will bugger the threads.....bad news!

Is that a viable option for you?

ooc

Last edited:
Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Thanks for the quick reply Odie!

Well, the Woodfast lathe is great and I love it. I understand why they made it L/H thread on the outboard side of it--mainly for the hand wheel. But I really don't want to hurt the threads if I put the screw on the chuck to hold it from becoming lose. I guess I'll let the outboard turning idea go for now, specially that I don't want to change the direction of the tools I'm used to.

By the way, if I ask a machinist to make a new spindle with L/H thread on inboard side and R/H thread on the outboard side, will be a wise idea to replace the existing spindle of the Woodfast with that? Given that the bearings on my lathe are so smooth, that I don't want to touch them until I need to replace the v-belt.

Cheers,
Jake

odie

TOTW Team
You can tell if your spindle is hardened by taking a file and test it on a spot that doesn't matter to function. If it cuts the metal, it's not hardened, and if it skips over the surface, it is.

I think your Woodfast might be the newer 20" swing version. If it were me, that would be fine. Very big bowls are nice for bragging, but they really aren't that much in demand.

Mine is 16" swing, and that's good enough for me! In actual practice, my limit is around 14"........and, that's ok, too.......:D

Yeah......I've been "diggin" my Woodfast for 20 years now........really do like it enough to call it a "keeper"!

ooc

Jake,

Both of my Stronghold chucks have threaded inserts that have both Left and Right hand threads for this very purpose. Right hand threads for inboard turning and left hand threads for outboard turning with the spindle rotating in the same direction as you would use when turning inboard. You would also have to work on the right side of the piece as mentioned above.

odie

TOTW Team
Jake,

Both of my Stronghold chucks have threaded inserts that have both Left and Right hand threads for this very purpose. Right hand threads for inboard turning and left hand threads for outboard turning with the spindle rotating in the same direction as you would use when turning inboard. You would also have to work on the right side of the piece as mentioned above.

Hello Don.......

Two of my three Stronghold chucks are that way too.....but, my oldest one is right hand thread only......

If I'm understanding Jake correctly, he can thread the chuck onto the outboard side of his spindle, but would rather change directions in order that he doesn't have to use his tools on the right side.....but, to keep using his tools oriented the same way whether turning inboard, or outboard.

Is that correct, Jake?

ooc

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Thanks Don and Odie for replies and help.

I'm attaching couple of PDF files with picture of the situation. I wonder if there really is a solution, besides tightening the chuck to the outboard side of the lathe spindle using a screw (holding the chuck to the lathe thread.)

Anyhow, please take a look at the situation.

Cheers,
Jake

Attachments

• Inboard Turning.pdf
    60.4 KB · Views: 50
  • outboard turning.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Jake, when outboard turning you do not need to “reverse†the lathe direction.
In your second pdf (outboard) the “direction of motor rotationâ€
would be changed to clockwise, the “direction of the chuck tightening†would
remain the same and the “tool rest position†would be moved from the left to
the right. Cutting or scraping would take place on the right hand side of the bowl,
platter or vessel. The outboard spindle has left-hand threads so that the chuck does
not loosen when in use. Some chucks have a set screw to lock the chuck to the spindle
when reverse turning, but in normal outboard turning the lathe is turning clockwise.
If there is a reason you want to turn outboard with the lathe in reverse, then yes, you
will have to lock the chuck to the spindle.
c

I'm just not sure why you want to do other than cut right, as the manufacturers and those who cut outboard have been doing forever. It's possible to cobble up as you hope, but you have to defeat the natural order of things in at least four ways to gain the ability to stand to the left rather than the right. Is there a wall there that keeps you from doing so, or is it just an attempt to keep things in the same "handedness?"

As a former outboard turner, once you solve the others, the problem is getting a firm place to reference your toolrest. Freestanders are not as good as those referenced solidly to the lathe. The lathe moves, the rest should follow. Else you can get some dangerous conditions. BTDT

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Mick, I was a bit disappointed, because I had already planned to build a bed extension attachment for my Woodfast lathe, purchase the OneWay big banjo and 18" toolrest for it... overall it would cost me roughly under a grand (given that big banjo and toolrest together were going to cost about 500 bucks, 300-400 bucks for welding a bed extension I designed.)
I guess for now I'll just let the plan go, because I'm mostly making cabinets and woodturning large bowls isn't the primary work I do in the shop (I mostly do spindle work.) I know I can get used to different direction cuts, but for now I think it'll take more time and money from me to do that.
On the other hand, if money flow was great, I'd just purchase a VB-36 lathe and solve the problem with large bowl turning :)
Anyhow, again, I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Cheers,
Jake

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I am missing something here. First I have to admit difficulty with the concept of right hand and left hand threads.
I have a Oneway 1640 with the outboard attachment. I just screw my Oneway chuck or faceplate on the outboard spindle, put the lathe in reverse and rough out big blanks without the slightest problem. I stand on the backside orientation to turn. The blanks sometimes weigh around 80 pounds. The direction of the rotation tightens, not loosens the chuck/faceplate.

That's because the Oneway Lathes are manufactured with RH threads on the outboard turning side, unlike most others that have a LH thread. To me it just makes sense to have the same thread on both the inboard and outboard side of the spindle. It's much easier and safer to have to lock on the outboard handwheel rather than having to lock on the chuck, especially if your lathe have reverse capability.

John

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
I think, but not completely sure, that the Woodfast lathe wasn't built for outboard turning. Perhaps, back in the days the engineers thought that there might be some vibration or a lot of pressure against the lathe, and they decided not to make the "outboard" side of the Woodfast lathe with a Right Hand thread.

Here's a recent video by AAW on YouTube, where you can see the OneWay's outboard turning option. Although, it's a nice presentation, but for the sake of safety, I wouldn't recommend a tripod toolrest for the outboard turning. (The video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa5xYuv56h4 )

Jake

Website
paloarte.wordpress.com
Thanks John for the correction. I didn't mean to fool the readers of this forum. :cool2:

The outboard extension from OneWay is pricey, compared to what is shown in that video. But, in case anyone wants to do outboard turning on the OneWay lathe, I again don't advise the use of tripod tool rest stand.

If I had a OneWay lathe, I'd simply build a bed extension attachment of my own---that is, I have the necessary sources to make it way less pricey than what OneWay offers.

Something that I don't seem to understand is, how do they make the big banjo so cheap---given that making it requires more time to mold it, melt it, form it and shape it---and why is their bed extension---which is quite simple in construction---so expensive. This is why I think I better off make my own bed extension (not too stupid after all.)

Cheers,
Jake

Back