Owners poll- 18" X 47" lathes

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Roger Chandler, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Hello all,

I thought it would be interesting to know how many owners of either the Laguna 18x47, or the Grizzly G0698 18x47, or the Busy Bee 18x47 or even the Hare & Forbes "woodmaster 18x47" read this forum.

Also, to have you post which model you own, and what your experiences have been with your machine [what you like about it, or what you might dislike].

For those owners who have had your lathe for a while, how has the performance been, and has any "hunt" at below 100 rpm been noticed, and has it affected your ability to turn, sand or get good results? Other issues as it relates to getting aftermarket accessories, etc.

This kind of information from owners will most likely give a good idea of the quality and performance of this line of machines, and will establish a base for comparison to other lathes on the market. Admittedly, there will be some subjectivity to each owners perceptions, but it will give a sense of the true nature of this line of lathes.

Thanks for participating in this poll of owners....

2. Bart Leetch

Bart Leetch

I don't have any of those lathes yet, but I do stand in front of my Delta 1930's double duty lathe & dream about having one every day. I even got a phone call from Laguna today they wanted me to purchase their lathe. I can see the $1300 that Grizzly wants for their lathe but not the $1854 Laguna wants just not sure what it has that makes it worth $554 more + the cost of shipping. I can go right to Grizzly & pick the lathe up. Still dreaming in Oak Harbor, Washington.

3. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Keep on Dreaming Bart

Bart,

Don't give up on your dream........ they do come true in time, and with hard work. Our challenge is patience and persistence.

The only difference I can identify between the Grizzly G0698 and the Laguna 18/47 is that the Laguna has a longer spindle which allows for the hand wheel, and of course the paint color. Other than that, what we have discovered from the posters on the other thread is that they are pretty much the same machine.

I am looking forward to the day you will be able to post a "tool gloat" and will be smiling ear to ear with a beautiful project that you have just turned. :D

4. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

my first question may be getting answered

My question that it would be interesting to find out how many owners of an 18"x47" lathe by any manufacturer has been posted for 3 days now, and so far no response from other owners.

I don't know if there are not that many owners who read this forum, or there are some that are unaware of the inquiry, or some just don't want to engage in this thread.

I think this line of lathes has a lot to offer in value and features, however, there may not be all that many that have been put to use in shops across the nation or even internationally. I thought at least the model from Busy Bee, the Craftex 128 owners would be a fairly substantial group.

The answers to the other questions would help those who are considering this line of lathes to be able to get a sense of owners experiences. I hope that owners will begin to respond. Thanks :)

5. kevinkabby

kevinkabby

18/47 laguna

Well...Laguna told me last wednesday(after I had called 3 times) that my replacement lathe has shipped out. I called the shipping company today, and they said that they have not picked up anything from them yet or been billed.

Stability is another issue which is caused by the weak bed that is used. I have 280 lbs of sand on it and it has a fair amount of movement from side to side.

Other than the motor hunting, and the fact that the centers don't line up no matter what I do. They are about a 1/32 off from side to side. I guess I could file the headstock and tailstock but am supposed to get a new one.

Roger...I know you are going to say something positive about them, like they are going to take care of you, or they will resolve the issue. LOL. I am trying to stay positive, but when you turn for a living, and you tools don't work like they should, it makes it tough to deal with.

I should have bought the grizzly, at the least their customer service is excellent.

Kevin

6. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Something positive?

Hi Kevin,

I "hope" they will take care of you. It sounds like you got a unit that was not properly inspected by quality control, as they let slide the line up of the centers. This sounds like sloppy machining and inspection to me.

Sometimes I think the factory workers over in China, just "think this is going to America, and I will never have to worry about it." They don't understand that even though something is made in China, that we who purchase still want quality and value for our hard earned money.

Let us know how things go with the replacement. It could be that Laguna is going over what they ship to you this time in an effort to get things right with the second machine.

Anyway, lets hope that is what they are doing. I will not be positive about this at all, unless they make it right for you. If the second lathe is not better than the first, then I would demand a refund, and would take those dollars to another vendor like Jet or [you fill in the blank].

The Laguna and Grizzly are the same machine, just painted differently and the Laguna has a longer spindle which will accept a hand wheel. They are made in the same factory as you know, and I guess I got a unit that was properly inspected, and machined.

One question on your alignment of centers. When you lock down you headstock and tail stock, do you think you may be putting any side torque on the lever and it pulls to the side a little? Maybe lining up the centers before locking down might help, but without seeing it myself, that is only a guess in the dark.

Just for your information, on this forum yesterday there was a guy who had bought a Jet 16/42 evs-2 and had to have the motor replaced, and this has occurred with other owners as well, but Jet seems to be aware, and where complaints have come in, they are replacing motors.

I guess that with anything made in China, there is always a little chance being taken. Unfortunately, for us it should not be that way.

7. kevinkabby

kevinkabby

laguna

I just talked to laguna, they said they had bad information about the lathe that has shipped. It isn't there, they have to wait till their new shipment comes in at the end of the month. LOL!!! Are you kidding me?

The centers don't line up when it is locked or loose. I am going to take a file to it today since I have found out that I will be stuck with the one that I have.

I wish I had the money for a robust, made in Wisconsin.

8. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Sounds like the old "runaround"

Kevin,

I can't say I would feel any different than you do if I were in your situation with Laguna. If companies would give us, the customer, accurate and reliable information when we call, and not give us the "runaround" it would be nice.

I believe there are people in customer service whose job it is to uphold image and sales of the company, no matter what. The best way to build a good reputation, is to shoot straight with the customer. What the customer needs is dependable information, supplied by people in the know, and not some "sales jockey" whose job it is to answer the phone when it rings!

I hope you will get a "date certain" on when the new lathes are supposed to come in, and that Laguna will stand behind their warranty for you.

You know something, now that I think about it, Grizzly has a back order till June, and now you tell us that Laguna has a back order as well. I wonder if the issue is the factory having problems filling the orders, and are rushing things while not fully vetting the quality control and inspection process?

9. Bart Leetch

Bart Leetch

That Delta 46-460 Midi is looking better all the time.

10. steve bellinger

steve bellinger

Hope ya don't mind me joining in here.I just got my grizzly about 3 weeks ago. After getting it set up and turning it on, it made a heck of a sound. well i called grizzly and they suggested that i check the pullys. Well luckly they just needed to be ajusted. it was loose and just needed tighting.:) As far as the back order thing. after paying (online) i get a e-mail saying it was on back order.:mad:. I called them 2 days later after cooling off. well the guy i talked to told me that they had processed my order and it was to be sent out in 24 hrs. all right now i don't no what to belive.:confused: Get up 2 days later and head to work only to get a call from the wife,saying that a shipping co called and wanted to no when they could deliver my package.:D Well as i work less than 4 miles from there co, i call and tell them i'll just swing by and pick it up at lunch. Sorry so long winded will shout up now. so far i'm real happy with it. time will tell.
    Steve

11. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Glad to hear of your purchase

Hello Steve,

I am glad you took the time to post. We need to hear from other owners of the Grizzly G0698 other than myself.

Grizzly went the extra mile for me for delivery, because when it was originally scheduled, I had to be out of town. They pushed and got me a delivery over a week early, and I was happy with customer service.

This lathe I have has performed very well, and as you have found out is loaded with features which make it a very good value. If you have been following the other thread on this lathe, then you probably have read about the "hunt" at very below 100 rpm on the low belt setting [ higher rpms on the high belt setting] This is nothing more than the way their inverter is programed so as to keep the motor from overheating, which gives longevity to the motor and electronics.

Turning at 100 rpm or sanding at this speed is really a snails pace, and it does not matter in the end result one gets, it is just a preference thing for some individual turners.

When you get a couple projects under your belt with this lathe, post about your experiences. As for me, I am a happy camper!

12. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

good lathe- much less capacity

Hi Bart,

I hope you will take a look at the previous post of Steve Bellenger, who just got his Grizzly G0698, and seems to be happy with it, before you give up on this model.

The Delta you mentioned has a good reputation from owners, and is less in cost and capacity which may be a deciding factor for you. If you can swing the extra cost, then I still like the Grizz, because of the features and capacity in swing and between centers, and the headstock can be move around for most any turning configuration.

I am not trying to sell you on anything, at all. I will rejoice with you in what you are able to get. I just hope it does not turn out that you buy something and then wish you had gotten the other one that you really wanted.

Even the Powermatics and Delta's are made in China, and from what I've heard from posters on this and other forums, there is an occasional problem with any make. I just think the China manufacturers could do a better job at quality control and inspection for all makes!

13. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

clarification on model you purchased

Steve,

Just for clarification, did you get the G0698 18/47 lathe or another model such as the 16/42 version?

14. Gordon Seto

Gordon Seto

Both Powermatic & Jet have 5 year warranty. How long is the Grizzly warranty?

Not all watches made in Switzerland are Rolex or Omega. I think we have look at each individual brand and product. I love my Jet mini, but I didn't like my ex Jet 1236.

15. Bart Leetch

Bart Leetch

One year but it was long enough for all seven of my Grizzly tools to out live the Jet & Powermatic 5 year warranty by several years & still going strong.

16. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Grizzly warrenty

Hi Gordon,

The G0698 warranty is 1 year. I do know that all machines have different specs and some are manufactured to a little higher specifications. That being said, posters on this and other forums have stated problems of one sort or another from time to time with a number of different brands from China manufacturers.

Admittedly some machines have fewer than others. The jets are having some motor problems, others other types, but my only point is that I believe that the quality control and inspection should weed out faulty machines or ones that the machining tolerances left centers not aligning with one another.

My Grizzly G0698 is doing well in all departments, for which I am very glad, and I would like that to be the case for all purchasers of all models. China has a bad reputation on some brands, and they could improve it if they would.

We do not hear these issues with American manufacturers and that speaks volumes about quality control and quality in general.

17. steve bellinger

steve bellinger

Roger yes i did get the go698 18/47.And i have turned a few pieces on it. One piece i all ready posted here, it's a small cherry vase. i just posted a few days ago and it's on the galary pics.
    As far as Bart i'm sure he has seen my lathe over on a different site, that we bouth belong to. happy turning and have nothin but fun doing it.:D. I no i will.
    Steve

18. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

G-r-e-a-t

Thanks Steve for clarifying the model. I will look up your turning on the gallery. I am going to have to figure out how to post a couple pics of my own turnings.
    My computer skills are probably worse than a kindergartner's is. . .:D

Steve, I looked at your cherry vase.... quite nice! Very nice sanding job and finish. Cherry is one of my favorites to turn.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  19. Gordon Seto

Gordon Seto

Yes, I believe there is no free lunch. I would love to have a 8" Baldor grinder, but the trouble is I don't want to pay $600+ for one. Quality control cost money. Probably the rejects from Baldor are running smoother than the majority of the $60 grinders from the discount places.

If a $5k US made lathe doesn't have better quality than the lathe that cost a quarter of it, the company won't stay in business long. The rest that fight for the price leader would have to compromise something.

The less expensive cut of beef would not be as tender and juicy as the tenderloin even they were coming from the same cow. BTW, the same butcher may trim the waste from the expensive cut neater as well.

Sorry for the OT rambling.

20. Roger Chandler

Roger Chandler

Butcher analogy

Gordon,

I have many years of experience as a meat cutter [butcher is a long past term, negative connotations I guess]. Having been in both meat cutting and wood cutting, I find quality is important in both.

I guess I digress a little in going into this line, but here goes. . . .I always hated it when I went into a market and saw what is known in the business as "hunk and chunk" meat cutting. That defined is just throwing a hunk of meat in a package and putting it out for the consumer without proper trim, grain orientation, package presentation and a number of other quality issues like too much fat in the hamburger, you name it.

Quality, I felt was always a reflection of my own character. If I would not want to feed it to my own children, then why should I push it off on some other persons children?

Some may call me uneducated in modern manufacturing, but quality builds a company for the long term. I would rather have 1000 satisfied customers than 1000 that were mad at me for cutting corners and putting out a bad product.

Just throwing a machine out there, and not being concerned with the customers service and satisfaction is simply a reflection of the character of the people who make the decisions in manufacturing.

The old axiom is true... "you get what you pay for." That being said, we understand the difference between a $5k machine and a $1500.00 one. In the case of the Grizzly G0698 [at least the unit I got when I purchased] there has been a good combination of value, features and quality, which is what made this machine an attractive alternative to the $5k machines.

It seems to me that since they got my unit right, the others could have been gotten right as well. It is just a matter of quality and inspection. If they could give me quality at the price I paid, why not give quality to all the others who purchase, whether Laguna or Grizzly, or whatever?

Also, Bart Leech put me on to the quality control engineer for Grizzly who spends considerable time at the factory in china, and that may account for the differences in my machine being right, and some others not being inspected with rigorous quality control standards. I do not know for sure if that is the case, but the QC guy was really helpful to us concerning the programming of the inverter and the specs of the Grizzly unit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010