• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Paper Birch

I have been sealing some white birch up at my cottage in nothern wisconsin.
Having seen birch rott from the inside i removed all the bark and sealed the logs with latex primer ends and sides.
Has anyone worked with white birch and if so how did you seal it and what was the results.
I have birch comming out of my you know what and do not want to waste time not sealing it properly.
Thanks,
Jeff

Troubled by the term "log." While I normally advocate keeping wood in log form, birch and beech, with their waterproof bark, do spalt pretty rapidly. If you peeled it, get it split up the middle so the inside won't cause the outside to split radially. Store split side up just a bit off the ground and under cover.

Best answer is to Turn, Dry, Turn. Get most of the non-bowl stuff out of the way now. The result dries faster and picks up less discoloration. Once winter sets in, you're good 'til spring with no peeling or sealing. Just turn it by end of May.

Back