• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Patchy CA Glue Pen Finish

Hi All,

I have been making pens for about a year now and I finish with CA Glue. Up until my most recent pen, I was using Special T from LV (high viscosity CA). I switched to Via Bond (another high viscosity CA) glue because its available in larger quantities at half the price.

Last night I finished some rosewood with it and part of the finish came out cloudy. I put 4 coats, lightly wet sanding and drying between the 2nd and 3rd coats. Some of the finish looked great and some of it had a white cloudly appearance, but was still very smooth. I dont think that it is moisture as it is the exact same procedure that I used with the Special T and I never saw this effect.

I tried putting another 2 coats over and it would look ok until I sanded again. Maybe I am missing something? Has anyone else run into this with a CA finish?

Cheers

GK:eek:

Well it appears as though it was the moisture. I stripped the finish back to the wood reapplied it without using water when i sanded. I figured maybe moisture could have been getting trapped between the layers of CA glue. Anyway, once i applied my final coat, i switched back to wet sanding and the patchy clouds appeared again.
I think that I will switch back to the LV high viscosity CA. Its thicker, builds a finish more quickly, and doesnt have this clouding issue.

Back