• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Penn State 3-step buffer vs. Beall

Thought I could get by with the Penn State 3-step buffer, save $25 bucks or so. Not! Sent it back, mandrel was horrible; ordered the Beall. Below are pictures of the two mandrels:

Penn State Industries:mad::
PSI BuffMandrel_x.jpg

Beall Mandrel:cool::
Beal BuffMandrel.jpg

I also like the fact that Beall stamps the compound name on the wheels, instead of using a little paper sticker that will be gone instantly:
BealWheels.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting Jamie, thanks for the pictures. I have one I bought from a third party at The Woodworking Show (wish I could remember who) that seems to be between the two. It has the threaded mandrel like the PS one but much better machining, and it has the compound type printed on the buffs like the Beall. I'm a bit surprised by how bad the PS mandrel is. Looks a bit thin too.

Doug

Back