• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pepper Mill in Spring issue of American Woodturner

On page 47 of the Spring issue of American Woodturner is a drawing of a pepper mill. The base shows a tenon on the top of the base being 1 1/2"-dia. I question if the tenon should be there. The picture on page 45 shows the top and bottom meeting at the point where this tenon starts. Am I not seeing something? I think the tenon on the top goes inside the base without the tenon on the base being there.

Ron

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Ron,

I think you are right. The tenon shown in the drawing on the top of the base should have been shaded, like the one on the bottom, indicating that it would be turned off after using it in the boring process. This tenon would be necessary if one bores from each end of the base when obtaining the 1" diameter hole that runs all the way through the base. It should have been shaded like the 2 3/8" tenon on the bottom.

In picture (D) you see that the tenon has been turned off. The height of the base is stated to be 8" in the text, which is consistent with your observation that the top tenon isn't there in the finished peppermill.

Good job,

Thanks for the reply. I did cut off the tenon and complete the pepper mill. I did find one more error in the drawing. The top diameter should be twice the 1 3/8" figure given as the largest diameter.

Back