• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Perfect day for wood turning

image.jpeg
Unfortunately our temperature has already climbed to its max today. Although I heard people coming down off the mountains from snowmobiling say it's almost t shirt material ( 32F ) at 8,000 ft, warm temperature inversion. Happens quite often hear.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
View attachment 24065
Beautiful day to stay in the shop up here in Canada.
So how is the weather in other parts of the country?
Happy New Year !

I’m just going to pick on your wording…

Here in the more southern states ;), it’s relatively sunny and dry in northwestern Oregon but everything’s wet and soggy from recent rains.:D

Was counting on that Global Warming this winter but no such luck.
Here in the mid-west we have had a few record lows the past week in several areas.
I was on the NASA website the other day and they had an article about planet Mars temperature
has gone up 1-degree in the last couple of decades.
One expert stated it was caused by the sun's solar activity, another source stated it was caused by
martian cow flatulence. :)

Almost got up to zero today. Was -28 the other morning, and didn't get above zero for four days. My dog, won't even go out. Fortunately my shop has in floor heat, and its really comfortable there. We sure could use some of those martian cows around here right about now.

Well below freezing in morning but in 40's in afternoon.....new years forecast single diget for low and high will not get above freezing.....for several days after new years......making plans for may and dreaming

Warmed up a bit here now. We are at about -28 (-18 Fahrenheit), which is still cold but much warmer than he -35 (-31 Fahrenheit) we have seen over the past couple days. To add to the misery it has been a bit windy and drifting snow to go with it. Usually when we see these temps there is little wind with it which makes it much more bearable. The title of the post is right on the money (if you have a nice heated area to do your turning).

Nice to see some fellow Canadians posting. So from the looks of the weather we should be seeing some new postings in the gallery in the near future. Haha., except from Hawaii!, I don't know how anyone could get any turning done in a place like that. :rolleyes: For more than one reason;).

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well it's pretty darn cold in the real southern states. 10F this morning with a high of 22. That's cold around here. Our lake is about half frozen. We haven't had a winter since about 77 that was cold enough to freeze the lake for skating. Might freeze tomorrow but I would never get out of our little cove. Probably won't get over 1/2" thick in the middle if that thick. Basically I'll just stay in the shop although it's costing me a fortune to heat. Still in my old shop with a heater running all day I was lucky to get it to 50. It's already up to 62 in my new shop. I had the heat off at night so all the metal and stuff is really cold.

Temperatures outside where I live is colder than the temperatures in the Antarctic today.
Beginning of the new ice age. Burrrrr!

2 degrees when I let my little yorkie out this morning at 6:30 am. My shop is uninsulated and in that temperature would take most of the day just to get bearable with my kerosene heater, so I just did other things today........and drool some while window shopping new lathes online!

Back