• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photo thread.....show us your shop.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've always loved seeing photos of other turner's shops......When I see these threads, they sometimes darn near always give me ideas! :)

Sooooo, I guess me first, huh.......

Here are a few from last April 2016. If this thread catches on, I'll go out and snap a few more current shop photos. (I might do this anyway, but I'm really looking forward to other turners participating in this thread.)

Encouraged, are any photos you have that's home shop, or woodturning related.....so, feel free to post whatever you have. I know most of you are proud of your shops.......let us see your work areas, lathes, grinders, band saws, compressors, dust control, table saws, sanding machines, buffing machines, any other machines, work benches, tool storage, shelving, cabinets, tool boxes, gizmos, inventions, ideas, and etc.......:D

Don't worry if your shop is a little messy......heck, my shop is ALWAYS messy, and from my point of view, I admire the more "used look". That tells me something very positive about the person who works there. Besides, it's your personal space, and those with pristine shop areas tell me something equally as positive about that person, too. ;)

ko

Shop April 2016 (2).JPG Shop April 2016 (3).JPG Shop April 2016 (5) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Okay, but gotta do some housekeeping first. :D

odie

TOTW Team
Question, Hy.......

What do you use those scissors for, that you'd keep them right there at the headstock?

That doesn't look like Albuquerque outside your window......Ha,ha!

Very nice shop, BTW....... :)

Last edited:
Odie,

OSHA would make you store your lathe tools pointy side down in the PVC holders. :D
They all look nice and sharp!

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,

OSHA would make you store your lathe tools pointy side down in the PVC holders. :D

Howdy Mike.......

Yeah, this has been discussed before, and I am one of those who prefers to store pointy side up......so, I know where to find what I'm looking for. I have no problem with those who choose either up or down.....it's their choice until that time they have employees. (I never will) If OSHA wants to come after me, they know where to find me....Heh,heh,heh :D

In all these years, I've never cut myself......so now that I've said that, Murphy's law is probably going to bite me! :eek:

ko

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Thanks for starting this up, Odie! Wow are you organized. Inspirational. I'll keep reminding myself that you've been at this much longer than me.

Among the thousand questions I have: who else manufactures your toolrests beyond the Robusts? I'm looking for a couple of different exterior radiuses for higher angle shear cutting.

Again, I'm impressed. Once I take the boat load of shavings out (I take them by boat since I don't live on the road system) and I get a semi-sunny day, I'll take a few photos.

Thanks everyone! My new favorite thread.

odie

TOTW Team
Among the thousand questions I have: who else manufactures your toolrests beyond the Robusts? I'm looking for a couple of different exterior radiuses for higher angle shear cutting.

Looking forward to seeing your shop, too, Zach.

You'd be surprised just how many times I've gotten great ideas from some of the newbies on these forums......IF they are inclined to come right out and give their opinions. Sometimes, I feel they are a bit timid about giving opinions, because they feel what they have to offer won't be considered worthy by some of the more experienced turners. The way I figure it, is they are not yet burdened by the "group think" mentality.....and these people are a great help in discovering new ideas, techniques, and concepts.

The Robust and Oneway tool rests get the most use by far. There are a couple there that are no longer available. A couple are generic cheapie tool rests from Packard (I think.....my memory isn't that clear).....could be Penn State. Several have been modified.

One thing about the Robust rests.....is that hardened top surface seems to allow lathe tools to slide just a little easier than the other rests. IMHO, this is an advantage when doing the last few very delicate passes, just prior to sanding.

ko

Last edited:
If you think your shop is a mess...
It's a 2 car garage with a workshop in the back. The workshop is all paintball stuff and other things I want to try to keep the dust off of. It is a bigger disaster than these two sides.
As a bonus my wife likes to park her cars inside, so everything needs to be against the walls and most is on wheels.
20161016_1823151.jpg

The best part of the whole thing is it is spray foamed with a kerosene furnace, really important for these northeast winters.

Here's the lathe side. It's still kind of a work in progress. Required an overhaul just to get the lathe in early this year.

Here's the other side. Radial saw, miter saw and bandsaw. Contractors table saw on a folding stand. Drill presses, etc. Cabinets made from scrap from work. The big table in the foreground is our new kitchen table my wife wanted, The finish is still curing.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Odie,

It gave me the willies when I saw that first picture. Reminds me of a punji pit. I had my tools stored that way (and some still are). I very carefully tried to navigate my way through those sharp pointy tools and still would occasionally get a cut. One time it meant a trip to the ER to get my hand sewn back together. The doctor did compliment me on my surgically sharp tools.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for starting this up, Odie! Wow are you organized. Inspirational. I'll keep reminding myself that you've been at this much longer than me.

Again, I'm impressed. Once I take the boat load of shavings out (I take them by boat since I don't live on the road system) and I get a semi-sunny day, I'll take a few photos.

Thanks everyone! My new favorite thread.

While I have a bunch of Robust tool rests, my favorite for general purpose use is a Steve Sinner tool rest (after you go to the site, click on Tool Rests). I like to cut with the tool handle dropped really low and I can't do that with the Robust rests.

odie

TOTW Team
It gave me the willies when I saw that first picture. Reminds me of a punji pit. I had my tools stored that way (and some still are). I very carefully tried to navigate my way through those sharp pointy tools and still would occasionally get a cut. One time it meant a trip to the ER to get my hand sewn back together. The doctor did compliment me on my surgically sharp tools.

If I were you, Bill.......I'd keep them all pointing down. Your "history" suggests it's a reasonable conclusion for you to make. ;)

Since my "history" differs from yours, I consider keeping the pungi stakes.....:rolleyes:I mean the pointy ends up a reasonable method for me......especially when the advantages are apparent to me while in use.

ko

Back in April this year...
Hy,
I'm going to add a heater to my garage shop before the really cold weather sets in. What sort of space heater do I see in your shop and how do you like it? I'm not nearly as tidy as you are and I'm concerned about the shavings catching on fire. Thanks.

If you think your shop is a mess...
It's a 2 car garage with a workshop in the back. The workshop is all paintball stuff and other things I want to try to keep the dust off of. It is a bigger disaster than these two sides.
As a bonus my wife likes to park her cars inside, so everything needs to be against the walls and most is on wheels.
20161016_1823151.jpg

The best part of the whole thing is it is spray foamed with a kerosene furnace, really important for these northeast winters.

Here's the lathe side. It's still kind of a work in progress. Required an overhaul just to get the lathe in early this year.

Here's the other side. Radial saw, miter saw and bandsaw. Contractors table saw on a folding stand. Drill presses, etc. Cabinets made from scrap from work. The big table in the foreground is our new kitchen table my wife wanted, The finish is still curing.

Scott,

I would mount a face plate on the wheel hub on your car, you could turn some big bowls! :)
I have seen done.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
While I have a bunch of Robust tool rests, my favorite for general purpose use is a Steve Sinner tool rest (after you go to the site, click on Tool Rests). I like to cut with the tool handle dropped really low and I can't do that with the Robust rests.

Thanks, Bill. I've looked at Steve's rests, and should probably order one pronto, as I often have the handle dropped as low as it can go on the straight Robust rest.

Do you—or anyone else—have recommendations for curved rests with different radiuses? I have the Robust curved rest, but I'd like to get one with a more gradual radius. Or perhaps I should just get one of Steve's and move the rest a few times for a bigger bowl...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have even gone as far as grinding away part of the lower edge on one of my shorter Robust rests so that I could drop the handle further down. The 3/8" polished metal rod at the top is really smooth and to make it even smoother, I use Johnson's Paste Wax on it and sometimes on the tool shank as well. This makes a noticeable difference when smoothly gliding the tool's bevel across the wood.

My recommendation for curved rests is to not use them. :D Well, that's just my personal preference. I believe that Reed likes the curved rests. I have a Robust inside curve rest. It's very nice and I actually use it on rare occasions. Another Robust rest that I like is their J rest. It's especially handy for working in tight corners. My preference is for shorter rests, like 9" or less.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie-what are the red "boots" for on the bandsaw??? Gretch
Hi Gretch.......Those "red boots" are plastic Folgers coffee containers, cut in half. Just on the other side of the shelves behind the bandsaw, is my parking space. During the winters and after driving in the snow, sometimes the snow melting from the car pools up in this area. The red boots are insurance that the metal feet of the bandsaw stay dry......and prevents them from rusting.
Odie I see an OFF sign on the top of your grinder. Do you sometime forget to cut it off?
I like your shop, Gerald.......Somehow, I really have an appreciation for those shops that looks "lived in".......and, yours certainly does! :cool:

The second "off" sign you are seeing is painted on a magnetic base for one of the two auxiliary LED lamps I have positioned on top of the grinder. Although this magnet isn't ever removed, it was once used for another purpose where it was off and on frequently......and, yes, I needed to know if the magnet was in the grip mode, or not!

ko

odie

TOTW Team
Like the shoes in the compressor picture, used for walking on top of all the chips you make.

Stu

Hello Stu.......Of course! Those antique snow shoes are a heck of a lot better than tunneling through the chips! Ha,ha.......!:D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Okay, I cleaned up. A little. Mostly a football day on Sunday but here goes:

This is from my kitchen door into the main part of the shop. 9 x 24' The brown box at left is the D.D. Same one as Hy has in his shop.

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5162.JPG

View from the other end. DC in the corner, Miter saw I use now (saving for a Kapex). This little 70 dollar job is very small and far more accurate than you'd believe. Freud blade on it cost only $20 !

IMG_5171.JPG

I'm in the Odie school of tool storage. So far no lacerations.

IMG_5166.JPG

Dust collector is a simple blast gate on a hose with an articulating arm. I can get right on top of a piece and it works pretty well. It is counterbalanced.

IMG_5168.JPG

Here's the counterweight, hanging from the purple line.

IMG_5194.JPG

Tool rest storage. And vacuum pump from JT Turning tools.

IMG_5189.JPG

Sharpening station. The near grinder has a 180 and 600 wheel. The radius wheels take some getting used to.

Sanding stuff in background.

IMG_5195.JPG

Through the other door into a repurposed room (please don't be jealous of the 70s wallpaper I'm lucky to have).

This was a carport that was closed in, then turned into a bedroom, then into a storage area, and then I've made it
into an assembly / paint / junk room. But then, I make practically every room into a junk room. :)

The plastic sheeting is my paint booth. Cost $4 and I have a filter in there.

IMG_5191.JPG

Work table is formica-topped tool cabinets from Home Depot.

IMG_5192.JPG

Okay, that's it. I hit the limit of 10 files.

Okay, I cleaned up. A little. Mostly a football day on Sunday but here goes:

This is from my kitchen door into the main part of the shop. 9 x 24' The brown box at left is the D.D. Same one as Hy has in his shop.

View attachment 20949

View attachment 20950

View from the other end. DC in the corner, Miter saw I use now (saving for a Kapex). This little 70 dollar job is very small and far more accurate than you'd believe. Freud blade on it cost only $20 !

View attachment 20951

I'm in the Odie school of tool storage. So far no lacerations.

View attachment 20952

Dust collector is a simple blast gate on a hose with an articulating arm. I can get right on top of a piece and it works pretty well. It is counterbalanced.

View attachment 20953

Here's the counterweight, hanging from the purple line.

View attachment 20954

Tool rest storage. And vacuum pump from JT Turning tools.

View attachment 20955

Sharpening station. The near grinder has a 180 and 600 wheel. The radius wheels take some getting used to.

Sanding stuff in background.

View attachment 20956

Through the other door into a repurposed room (please don't be jealous of the 70s wallpaper I'm lucky to have).

This was a carport that was closed in, then turned into a bedroom, then into a storage area, and then I've made it
into an assembly / paint / junk room. But then, I make practically every room into a junk room. :)

The plastic sheeting is my paint booth. Cost $4 and I have a filter in there.

View attachment 20957

Work table is formica-topped tool cabinets from Home Depot.

View attachment 20958

Okay, that's it. I hit the limit of 10 files.

Nice shop! What are the turning tools held in? Clear tubing? Where do you get that?

Hy,
I'm going to add a heater to my garage shop before the really cold weather sets in. What sort of space heater do I see in your shop and how do you like it? I'm not nearly as tidy as you are and I'm concerned about the shavings catching on fire. Thanks.

Not Hy, but I put one of these in a couple years ago and it's made a huge difference ce. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PSFRTG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_--xbybB4VTT9A

I have the garage partially insulated and do a bit more each year.

Doug

odie

TOTW Team
This is my 1950's vintage Delta table saw. I restored this saw and added a Beismeyer fence and extension wings. This isn't a tilt arbor, like most saws are these days.....the whole table tilts!
Delta table saw.jpg
Tool box: IMG_2391.JPG
A few antique tools I have on the wall! Notice the size of that horse shoe! It's huge! I found that in the mountains of Montana. I suspect it's a relic of the horse-logging days.....probably a Clydesdale, or Morgan horse. IMG_2392.JPG
The two top shelves are bowls that are ready to finish turn.....whenever I get around to them. The bottom shelf are bowls still in the seasoning process. IMG_2390 altered copy.JPG
These four bowls are very close to being finished...... IMG_2397 - Copy.JPG
ko

Odie-I have some antique stuff hanging, but on the outside of my pole barn. I just got a new "treasure" a couple of weeks ago, when coming home I saw a "barn sale" sign. Stopped and got a lobster trap (just had been eating lobsters in Maine the week before,) and what said on the tag "vintage log carrier". It has a little work on it and too big to hang-May be deck "art". Has metal on the runners. The handle is folded over it. Gretch20160924_120546_resized (640x361).jpg

Back