• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Plans for a SIT DOWN lathe stand

I am currently turning on a Vicmarc vl100. Because of a medical problem, I can only turn for about 45 min. to an hour. I need a lathe stand that I can sit at to turn. I can probably design one myself but if it has already been done, why reinvent the wheel?
Thanks,
Bob Hash
Prescott AZ

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
lathe setup

Bob,

You might consider a bar stool style chair with a back on it. I'm not sure how badly this will affect your shifting with the tool as you're riding the bevel down a long spindle or big bowl.

You might also be able to build a short platform out of 2x4's and plywood to raise the chair up however much higher it needs to be for comfort.

I would note three things:

- Do not under any circumstances have wheels on the chair.
- Consider a seat with a back and the ability to swivel.
- Don't get a cloth seat due to the shavings you'll be creating.

Regards,

Brodie

I don't know your financial situation, Bob, but if it is doable, consider a short/variable bed lathe such as a Stubby, that gives you the option of approaching the piece closely from the front, side, etc. A low stand and a stool or chair that is comfortable and supportive would work fine at that point.

Dietrich

BobHash said:
I am currently turning on a Vicmarc vl100. Because of a medical problem, I can only turn for about 45 min. to an hour. I need a lathe stand that I can sit at to turn. I can probably design one myself but if it has already been done, why reinvent the wheel?
Thanks,
Bob Hash
Prescott AZ

recently spent some time with a turner who using a vl300 and built a platform he can drie his wheel chair onto. Alternatly building a low fat stand with and filling it wit sand and concrete both work well. Ray Peck also makes bowl lathe suitable to wheel chair turners.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Since I have back problems (and surgery next month), I think that I appreciate what your requirements are in this situation. Unfortunately, most of the suggestions that have been offered overlook the important point that unless you can get your knees and at least part of your lap under the bed of the lathe then you will be doing a great disservice to your back because of excessive leaning, stooping, and twisting.

Here are some factors that I would consider important:
  1. Make the spindle height with respect to your elbow the same as if you were standing. This will be also determined by the type of seating that you use.
  2. If it will be possible for you to have some weight on your feet, then I would suggest that you consider a height somewhere around 24" for the seat with a swivel base for easy entry and having a good solid base so that it will not slide around (perhaps rubber on the bottom) unless you want it to. This height would give you a bit more mobility in shifting around (think about making the seat wide). It also gives more clearance between your lap and elbow.
  3. Make a solid table/base for the lathe, but keep the top at the part where will be sitting as thin as possible so that you will have clearance for your lap while still aiming to have the spindle at elbow height. The area where you sit will not be able to have an apron, but you can beef up the structure elsewhere to compensate for that.
  4. Place the lathe at the front edge of the base and make a cut-out in the front edge of the tabletop to allow more clearance for your lap.
You will probably have to custom design your set-up, but I hope that these thoughts are helpful.

Bill

Bob,
I have a business acquaintance with very bad knees and while I have never seen his shop he has told me about the bench he sits on to turn. I would best describe it as a sawhorse with a skate board on top. He leans his butt on the skate board a steers himself along the lathe with his feet. It just takes some of his wieght (he is a big boy) off his knees and feet in the shop. He has some kind of stops and guides to keep the 'skateboard' on the bench. It ain't really a skateboard but that descibes the concept. This ain't a plan but it may be an idea for you.
Frank

Website
www.zionfire.com
One other thought while talking about sitting and working.

We had a new-to-us demonstrator at our Chapter's Symposium earlier this month. He came in with his bunch of stuff to share and sat patiently in the back until it was his rotation. He brought his own stool to sit on, though!

The stool is what's pertinent to your situation, I think. He's a bodger (pole lathe turner) and often demonstrates all of the old techniques. His stool was a work stool that had a bit of shaping on the seat, and a forward pitch to the seat as well. No back on it, but because of the pitching of the seat, the tendency was to sit with good posture and to lean toward the work. The legs support some of the weight, kind of making the stool one leg and his legs the other two. Stable position for small work.

Be sure to let us know what you finally end up doing!

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Consider different styles of chairs

As you consider lathe stand designs you might also look at the chair you will use. I think a few folks expressed some concerns about a chair keeping you at an uncomfortable distance from the lathe? You might be able to mitigate that, and eliminate the need to have room under the lathe for your legs by looking at the type of computer chair that is designed for kneeling. I don't know if this seat would work with whatever condition is making standing uncomfortable, but it would bring you closer to the lathe and give you more lathe height options.

I don't have a photo of these chairs, but basically they have a knee rest, and a seat that is canted forwards. Your body weight is split between the seat and the knee rest. I found them to be pretty comfortable compared to a regular chair when I had some back problems years ago.

Here's hoping you find a really good solution that lets you turn comfortably and safely.

Hi Bob; I have bad knees and can't stand for very long periods of time. One of the other guys suggested looking at a Stubby. I have a Stubby and to use it I sit on a stool and that lifts me up to where my elbow is close to centerline. I also have a Delta Midi lathe mounted down about to where the centerline is equal to my knee. I sit on a normal office chair with out arm rests on rollers. I lean over and put my elbows on my legs and turn away. With this posture I am comfortable and can dance with the lathe just like you do when your standing up. Good luck. OB

sit down lathe

I have spinal stenosis and have to sit at the lathe for the most part. I can stand, but not for long. The bar stool won't work cause you can't move with the work without your feet on the floor. Also, depending on your problem, a bar stool with cut off circulation. I have a hydraulic stool with a bicycle seat and can move along the lathe. I like the idea of the saw horse and skate board seat. I can pic in my mind what that would look like and I think that is better than my bike seat. Maybe some of us disabled turners could put our heads together and design something really great. This forum has a lot of smart folks with a lot of great ideas.
How bout it?

Sit on your lathe.

BobHash said:
Thanks,
Bob Hash
Prescott AZ

Hi Bob,
Can you reduce standing time by sitting on the lathe bed when hollowing or doing the inside of objects? I made a wheeled table at bed height to rock the tailstock onto so I would not have to lift it. Put a step and the end of the lathe. Most importantly,keep the wife's car out of the garage. ;)
I get some relief by wearing a back brace while standing. Timers will keep you honest.
Best,
Richard

sir down lathe stand

I have decided to throw in the towel on this. My lathe is listed in the classified ad's. Thanks for all the answers.

Don't throw in the towel just yet!

Bob,

I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet. Oneway recently designed a lathe designed to sit while turning.

It's offered in Packard's latest catalog for $3,000. It's not on Packard's web site. It is on Oneway's web site, but without pricing info, so it my not be in production yet. But if it's in Packard's catalog, it should be available soon if not already.

Good luck and happy turning.

Frank

http://oneway.ca

http://www.packardwoodworks.com

Last edited:
Website
www.chakajo.com
Don't give up

Well, what I would have added has been said already.

I just wanted to say hang in there and don't give up. Turning has made my life a lot better, even fighting through a lot of pain. I understand...

If you decide not to give up - we are all here to help. My email is in my profile, please feel free to drop me a line. Maybe I can try to help you come up with something ;)

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Bob, the concern of having your knees in a good position under the lathe is worth consideration. Since you didn't elaborate on your medical condition, feet, knees, back or neck, you alone would know if a high stool would work.

The "skateboard on a bench" theory sounds great. I'd even try that and all I suffer from is old age! ;)

The suggestion of a bowl lathe such as the Stubby is also good but expensive. No one has mentioned the Oneway Sit Down lathe, it's cheaper than the Stubby and very, very comfortable and easy to use. You might consider selling your lathe and getting the Oneway. I used it at the Ohio symposium, in fact I tested it for various turnings and positions needed, every one worked. They had an office chair with wheels, you don't really move a whole lot from your thighs down when turning, it's mostly your torso that moves with the tool. I had no problem doing that. The whole thing goes from the sitting position to a conventional standing position very easily, I did it all by myself.

All suggestions have to be considered with the thoughts of how much pain or discomfort you have, where it's located, how much money you want to spend and how much you enjoy turning and how much longer you intend to keep turning. For me, that would be until my kids put me away! :p

Ruth

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Bob, I just read your post that you are "throwing in the towel"...... :confused:
guess woodturning isn't that pleasurable? you're not in the mood right now? you're just tired of dealing with it? (man, can I ever relate to THAT! at times) or too many suggestions got overwhelming?

Relax, have a cup of or glass of....., watch a silly movie, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

Ruth

Don't quit!

I have degenerative spinal disease and had to give up my career as a contemporary quilt artist because it ruined my neck. I now sport a shiny titanium plate in my neck and my lower back is headed for surgery #2 and more titanium.

Turning is my creative release. If I didn't have it I'd go nuts. I tend to over do by standing down in my cold garage for up to 8 hours at a time, even with a permanently numb knee. I limp upstairs and swallow a fist full of Advil, but I go down the next day.

Don't give up! You need a creative outlet in order to be healthy in both mind and body. Try some of these ideas posted here and see if you can find something that will work.

Reach out to your local turning group to see if perhaps you could trade your lathe for one that can be converted for you. Vicmarc is a good lathe, surely someone would be willing to trade a bench top model and build you a bench for a Vicmarc!

As you consider lathe stand designs you might also look at the chair you will use. I think a few folks expressed some concerns about a chair keeping you at an uncomfortable distance from the lathe? You might be able to mitigate that, and eliminate the need to have room under the lathe for your legs by looking at the type of computer chair that is designed for kneeling. I don't know if this seat would work with whatever condition is making standing uncomfortable, but it would bring you closer to the lathe and give you more lathe height options.

I don't have a photo of these chairs, but basically they have a knee rest, and a seat that is canted forwards. Your body weight is split between the seat and the knee rest. I found them to be pretty comfortable compared to a regular chair when I had some back problems years ago.

Here's hoping you find a really good solution that lets you turn comfortably and safely.

I have one of these chairs taking up space and would be glad to send it to you if it would help change your mind about throwing in the towel.

I have the same proplem which I solved by buying a draftmans stool. It has ajustable height, 5 casters, a back and swivels. It's only drawbackis that you have to watch where you grab to move your self. A friend of mine with problems built a bench low enough he could set a it out of 2x4's on edge, he made it with wing on the ends that came out and mounted his grinder on one of the wings so all he had to do was swivel in his chair and sharpen his turning chisels.

Come on y'all in AZ. How hard could it be? Am being serious for a change, so pay attention. We need Bob in a comfortable desk chair to fit his height, comfortable back support & no arms, on rollers, in order to determine correct elevation of the lathe stand. For ref., when seated there is no more than 5" or 6" between my elbow and my leg, suggesting that the elevation has to be got right. Probably elevation close to the legs as possible but still enough room to move and swivel the chair.

Then all we need is some 2x2x1/4" steel angle, crackerbox welder, cutoff saw, a drill, and the lathe mounting bolt locations. What if the chair rolls too easily (had some like that one time)? Put a thin piece of sturdy carpet under the area. This is an easy one, y'all. If it needs to be pretty (my stuff isn't), get it sandblasted and painted.

Not sure if I could turn for 45 minutes either. Usually 10 or 15 at a time, then sit, drink coffee and pet my shop cat for a while. She has her own chair but seems to prefer mine, especially when I am in it.

Website
www.abhats.com
Frank, you're right. I missed it because no one else has commented on the machine. I'm a little surprised, since I heard it was at the last Symposium. I'm not a Oneway fan, but they seem to be trying to be into providing accommodations that others aren't.

Set- Down Lathe Plans

Go to www.huntcountywoodturners.org click on club projects and scroll down to bottom of the page and you can down load plans and pictures of a set-down lathe stand designed to hold a mini lathe. The Lathe can be rotated to an stand up position or angels in between. This was design to help one of our member who's health has declined and needs to sit while turning.

Dan

Set- Down Lathe Plans

I stopped reading this forum in Feb. once I decided to throw in the towel. I just found the above mentioned web site 3 days ago. I think the idea for this stand is perfect for what my needs. I will study on this for a couple of days and probably build this stand, buy another lathe, buy some turning tools and start all over again. I would like to thank everyone who responded to my dilemma and also the Hunt County Woodturners for making these plans avaliable.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Another possible solution is a sit/stand chair. There is one of these where I work, and have used it once in awhile. There is still weight on your feet, but the pad you sit on takes some of that weight. Since you are almost standing, it's easy to get up and move around when necessary.

otis of cologne

http://www.chdist.com/shop-equipment/shop-seating/d-4297-6803-772

Attachments

• 41-186_p.jpg
    41-186_p.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 14
There were some plans in the journal just a few issues back. I don't have the no. but I sure you can look it up . I am not sure if they would fit you needs.If you enjoy turning you should be able to come up with a way if you take a little time look over what people have posted take all that will work for you and disregard all the rest and make it work for you because every one had different needs.

"Standing"

I have read all the responses with great interest since I will at some point face the probability of having to sit as well. I hate to think of having to give up turning with my PM, but as many of you have pointed out, you can't get your knees under it.

Then I had a eureka moment. With no idea how - what about being suspended so that one could be "standing" but with little weight on ones legs. Someone come up with a solution.

I have read all the responses with great interest since I will at some point face the probability of having to sit as well. I hate to think of having to give up turning with my PM, but as many of you have pointed out, you can't get your knees under it.

Then I had a eureka moment. With no idea how - what about being suspended so that one could be "standing" but with little weight on ones legs. Someone come up with a solution.

Hal, as arthritis progresses similar thoughts have occurred. A cage of sorts suspended from a rail and secured below on an arresting rail, set at a height that would allow your feet to contact the floor but not necessarily to bear your full weight might be engineered. Another thought was a cantilevered saddle that is supported by a mono-rail might also serve the purpose.

Back