• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Plans for a small Kiln

Website
dickswoodwort.com.blogspoking
I'm looking for plans for a small kiln that uses a lightbulb for heat and a small (Computer type) fan for circulation. I have a box made that is about 30" wide, 23" tall and 15 " deep. I have seen several of this typ of kiln but can't seem to remember just how the fan and lightbulb work for this application. any one know of plans out there somewhere.

Thanks.

-d

I think i remember seeing someone using an old refrigerator, can't recall what they had done with it but they had a light bulb hanging inside and a series of vents cut into the bottom and top of the door to control air circulation.

Dick, I am traveling but will be home by the end of the week. I will send you the link Kieth is talking about. It is pretty detailed and you may be able to apply it to your box.

Remember that a kiln is about moisture, NOT heat. That's what you need to monitor and regulate. Otherwise you're just tossing things into a box and wishing. Fortunately, wood is pretty forgiving.

Start with a hygrometer. Taking it various places around your garage or basement may show you what a fine "kiln" you already posses if you care to move the pieces rather than adjust the humidity with them in one place.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have just ordered severl book from Amazon including Wood and How to Dry it

Thanks again-d

While you're waiting, read the free sources which cover the subject. at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/index.php Start with The Wood Handbook so you can read the gee-whiz stuff with a bit of science as backdrop.

If you are drying bowl blanks or helping the oil dry, go to Home D or Lowes and buy one of their meat smokers for about $40, a 40m watt bulb, a tool replacement cord and a porcelain light fixture. Attach the cord to the fixture with the bulb, attach the fixture to a piece of plywood and put it into the bottom of the smoker. You end up with two shelves to put your stuff on. Mine works fine.

Website
www.rudieswoodwork.com
I have been successfully using a bowl drying kiln made from a repurposed upright freezer. The key is to heat the wood slowly. In this kiln the heat source as well as the source of the airflow is a light bulb. You start with a 40 watt bulb and build to a 75 watt bulb. You can follow the link below to an online article or read Woodturning Design Issue #24 page 13-15 for more information.

http://www.rudieswoodwork.com/kiln.htm

Website
dickswoodwort.com.blogspoking
Home Made Kiln

Well I read all of the replies to my initial inquiry and decided to make a small kiln using plywood, a lightbulb and fan. You can check it out by visiting my website at http://dickshryock.com and clicking on "My Woodworking Studio" I have several photos of the kiln in process of construction. Since the photos were taken I lined the box with pegboard to protect the rigid insulation that I applied to the inside walls of the kiln. The peg board will allow me to make moveable sticker to use inside of the kiln. Be sure to sign my guestbook when you visit and let me know what you think.

-d

If you want the cheapest version, just a 15 watt bulb under some wire racks will do the job. If you want to get fancy, then you can build a box around the racks. Works like a chimney. Let them dry really slowly at first, like on the floor for a bit (depending on weather you turn them to final thickness and let them warp, or if you turn them thick and then return them), then up on the wire racks, and then to finish, up the wattage in the light bulb, or add another light bulb.

robo hippy

Back