• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

PM 3520A Headstock

Hi,

1) Any of you 3520A owners ever remove the headstock?

2) How difficult of a job is it? Is it too much for one person to handle?

3) Anybody know the weight of the headstock? My guess is 100 lbs. or a litle more.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

W.C.

I forgot to check the email notification. I wasn't sure if I could go back & check the box without posting again? Thanks,

W.C.

I think you got some good responses on Wood Central but for those here, it is possible but is a bit awkward. The suggestions are to remove the motor as well as to get some help. The headstock is hefty and gave me all I could handle when I did it. I would never do it by myself again.
Good luck.

W.C. Turner said:
Hi,

1) Any of you 3520A owners ever remove the headstock?

2) How difficult of a job is it? Is it too much for one person to handle?

I removed the motor first then was able to handle the headstock, but not easily. I uncrated, dis-assembled and took my machine into my basement. I did not have any stairs to contend with though, that would have been considerably more difficult.

I used my miter saw stand which has large wheels when I moved mine into the shop. I just slid it off the lathe onto the stand and with my wifes help we rolled it into the shop. Sounds easy but moving the whole thing off the trailer was a heavy duty job.
What ever you do don't drop the headstock and damage the control box. Our turning club 3520 was damaged in a move and the cost to repair is over $1,000.

Bill Hunt

Website
www.woodturner.org
I received the lathe onto the back of our pickup truck (should've paid the delivery fee, now I'm smarter). Took about 4 hours to setup a rope winch bolted into the header above my garage. Since I didn't totally trust the header, the lathe was disassembled into various large parts. Again, I recommend against this strategy unless you have a very stout header and the winch has become "one" with the header.

Anyhow the motor is darned heavy by itself. And the headstock is also darned heavy. Shouldn't be a one person job because they are at the limits of a 180lb man to manhandle and if you drop them you will deeply regret it. If you must remove them get 2 or 3 people and make a short plan before you get it off the lathe bed. Plus I would recommend removing the motor first. (You don't want to make the short plan when the weight of the combo or individual pieces are in your hands).

Back