• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Post Counts, User Titles

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I don't know what happened, but in doing some maintenance today, the database got cleaned up and a lot of users lost posts and comments. Where did they go? No idea, but I don't think there coming back. So you may be back to NooB when you didn't really deserve it, but it happened (I lost over 1000 in my count).

sounds like the books have been cooked as far as post counts go. I assume you will be going back and manually correcting them all Steve. :cool:

R

Ron Sardo

I can relate Steve, but don't worry about it. I don't even know if my post count is any different than it was before.

Like Barry mentioned, there are more important things to worry about.

Looks like my count stayed the same. Computers are great things sometimes Steve. Thanks for all the hard work.
HUgh

not even sure what my "tag" is... had to post to see.

Thought I had more to say than just 3, but must be more of a lurker than I thought.

Conspiricy

It must be a conspiricy. I have been working in computers for over 30 years and have never had anything like that happen to me. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you believe that I'll sell you some prime oceanside property cheap.

Vernon

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
It must be a conspiricy. I have been working in computers for over 30 years and have never had anything like that happen to me. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

If you believe that I'll sell you some prime oceanside property cheap.

Vernon

There's ocean front in Arkansas, and good fishing too.

This is outrageous! I demand a recount! And I also want 500 posts added to my counter, to compensate for the humility, pain and suffering I've gone through. Sheesh! You just can't get good help anymore. :rolleyes: :D :p

From one forum admin to another, thanks for all the work you do to keep this place up and running, Steve. I can surely relate, as can others. ;) For what it's worth, I think my post count is the same as it was before the glitch. As was said earlier, I've got plenty of other unimportant stuff to worry about.

Here's checking. Not a biggie! I dropped from Professor Emeritus or something like that to sage. Oh well!
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. Even though I lost about half of my posts, my title still says Moderator! I can live with that!:cool2:

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
While you are looking into it, why not come up with some titles that don't sound quite so silly, or make it user changeable.

I don't know who came up with them, but they are pretty goofy. I apologize to whoever came up with them if they are reading this.:D

I guess that was a little off topic.................:)

John

Website
www.markplacek.com
While you are looking into it, why not come up with some titles that don't sound quite so silly, or make it user changeable.

I don't know who came up with them, but they are pretty goofy. I apologize to whoever came up with them if they are reading this.:D

John

2/3 of my posts are gone.. no biggie

I agree with John; the user titles are a bit corny here especially with the quality work being shown on this forum.

I'm gone !! I'm logged in on the upper right, but not showing up in the member list. Maybe this post will bring me back.

Post Counts

Russ, I'm not sure in what context you are using 'banned', so I will address it in general, from the quidelines on Help, Rules and FAQ: if a member does not follow forum rules they will generally be warned; subsequent violations, at the discretion of the moderators, can generate a banning for a time period, i.e. 30 days, during which time the member cannot receive PM's or post to the forums; continued rule violation can warrant lifetime banning. I hope this answers your question.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

John

Actually, I though about removing them altogether.

VBulletin has more options than you can shake a stick at, including user over-rides for titles. If it gets out of control, admins can reset to the defaults, however corny they may seem.

It didn't break my heart to see the demotion. And the post count revision probably just accounts for deleted posts (usually in expired want-ads, but also in flame wars); "List all posts by" was getting weird anyway, when trying to cite an old post.

I also just wanted to find out my post count. I can't seem to find it on my profile page, thanks.

Great Forum!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Moderators,
The reason that I asked about "banned" was that I found a recent Private Message from a banned member. Evidently "banned" still allows them to post a private message. You might want to check on that.

It shouldn't. The banned user title has no permissions for anything. I would be curious to know who the actual user was, maybe that individual is set incorrectly.

Website
www.chakajo.com
I'm glad to see the general consensus here is "oh, who cares :D"

On some forums (not necessarily turning) the equivalent of David Ellsworth posting about sharpening his own bowl gouge would be ignored if his post count wasn't "respectable." It's a little sad, really, with such unimportant things being made to matter. Then, on the other side of the coin there are people out there willing to believe everything said by someone that spends way too much time online. I'll give an example - I asked a feeding question on a snake forum when my wife first picked up our corn snakes. I was told by someone (6000+ post count) that feeding in the main cage was just fine (not related to my question). Any beginner who has done some reading knows that's false because the snake can ingest the wood chips. At that point the poster was scolded for a couple pages by other users, and I found out his post count came from defending incorrect advice.

Anyway, I really couldn't care less that I lost some posts. Though, I can't tell if I did or not.

Website
www.chakajo.com
Might be why my corn snake died, but I can turn bowls?

Sorry about your snake, but yes you certainly can turn a heck of a bowl. I really like the slumped glass stuff you've been doing lately, too. Pretty neat.

btw, I wasn't taking a jab at those who spend lots of time online, just at those who think that in itself is what makes them an expert. I think all of us here greatly appreciate the spare time you spend online, and away from your lathe.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
btw, I wasn't taking a jab at those who spend lots of time online, just at those who think that in itself is what makes them an expert. I think all of us here greatly appreciate the spare time you spend online, and away from your lathe.

I take no offense, I make a comfortable living being connected to the internet 12+ hours a day. And I can boast about by 50 Mbs download speeds

Last edited:
Back