• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Power carving tools

Website
turnedoutfantastic.home.att.net
I'm interested in carving my turnings - mostly fine, detail work - and have come across two high speed, turbine carvers: the Powercrafter and the Turbo Carver. Has anyone used either of these tools? Can you tell me anything about them, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pam

Hi, Pam,

The two you mention are basically the same except the Powercrafter has to be oiled at the start of each session whereas the Turbo Carver II is oil free. I bought the oil-free (about $60 less as well) Turbo Carver II, but without the water mist accessory that is used with hard dusty materials like egg shell and bone. These hyper-speed tools are more in the line of engravers than carving tools as they have very little torque and will bog down and stop if you try to hog off material; these are light touch tools for sure. The burrs are sold in sets, but you'll do better to buy them individually because while the set may be a bit cheaper, they'll always put one in that you (or most others) have no use for. There is a pointed flame burr that does very well for signing a piece, and I've several others to do light texturing in rings and rims. You can also get free burrs from your dentist ;)

I also have a 18,000 rpm Foredom flex shaft that will take carving burrs, but which I have "converted" to a reciprocating power chisel carver that does Very well for texturing turnings.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
Back