• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powered Respirators

Are powered respirators such as the "new" Triton worth the money? What do most of the turners use for protection from the various hazards?

Hi,

I don't know anything about the Triton respirator except what little I've read, but I've been using the Airmaster 30 for about a year now and after just a little getting used to, think it's great. The cronic cough and constant nose-blowing have all but disappeared. What a relief. I use it for turning, of course, but even more importantly, for sanding and sharpening. A side benefit is, as it starts to warm up around here, the gnetle breeze of cool air across my face is also nice.

Whit

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
I have had the Triton air helmet since January. It has proved its worth by the number of chunks that it has deflected from their intended destination between my eyes and the amount of dust it has kept out of my respiratory system (as evidenced by the filter at the end of the day).

When mine arrived the seal around the top and the body was allowing air to leak. A short call to their toll-free number and a new top was in the mail almost immediately.

The only real drawback to the system is the stiff hose that connects the blower to the helmet. It pushes the helmet forward on the head and causes me to get a stiff neck within just a few minutes. I solved the problem by replacing the hose with a piece of sump pump hose that I picked up at Lowes.

Before I purchased mine I had perfomed a search on the internet and found a user group in Australia that had quite an in-depth discussion of its pros and cons. Also, two others in our local club have the Triton and seem pleased with it.

Website
www.lasered-stamps.com
Any respirator is a good thing.
For the price of the Triton, it is a good buy. I use the 3m Powervisor
which is quite sufficient for turning. I have a 3m airmate for heavier jobs.
I think woodcraft now carries the Trend airshield which is similar to a powervisor. All are good items. peace

Back