• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520b Spindle lock solution

Website
www.woodturnerlarry.com
I apologize if this has been handled in past forum discussions, but it's been awhile since I've logged on and I don't see a way to search the historical posts. so with that apology, here's my question with which I need help from you 3520b owners.

Our club has recently acquired two 3520b lathes and I'm looking for a way to hold in the spindle lock without having a third hand. I have a Powermatic 4224 in my shop and the spindle lock on it has a nut that screws in to hold the spindle lock in position allowing both hands to be free.

I've heard some people have solved this problem on the 3520b, but before I go drilling holes, or other modifications I thought I'd seek help from those of you who have already solved this issue.

Hi Larry here is my solution just a Neodymium magnet and the key from a oneway chuck. Cheap easy and effective.

Attachments

• IMGP3397.jpg
    IMGP3397.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 172

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are two very easy alternatives. One is to simply drill a hole in the button guard so you can install a pin of some sort when the button is pushed in. this keeps the button in.
The second is to loosen the top screw on the button guard just a hair and then remove the bottom screw. This lets the button guard shift so you can rotate it over the button to hold it in.
I've had my 3520A for about 5 years now and have never used either on. I thought it looked like a good idea but I've never had a problem holding the button in when I need to.

since the 3520b has an indexing system, the easiest way I know to hold the spindle is to drop a piece of 1/4 inch dowel into one of the holes. stops the spindle from turning but won't do any damage to anything if someone forgets its there and turns on the lathe. NOT that I have ever done that.

I personally only need to lock the spindle in place if i am trying to spot sand a trouble spot on a piece. so this is the fastest way to do it that I have found.

IAN

Back