• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520C?

Powermatic posted on their Facebook page that a replacement for the 3520B would debut at the AAW Symposium this week and go up for sale in a couple months. Can anyone at the symposium verify this? They also posted yesterday they would provide details about the new lathe today but at this time nothing has hit their Facebook page or website.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I taught classes to 3 of the Powermatic engineers. They told me then that they were working on an upgrade to the 3520. I put them on 3 different lathes that weekend so they could learn the ins and outs of various lathes. I hope that helped them with the improvements. Of course I'm sure Nick Cook had a hand in it also.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I demo a lot on the powermatic and it is a fine machine.
The powermatic had to be improved to compete with the new 18" jet.

Things I would change on the powermatic.
Adjustable height legs
Improve the tool rest lock on the banjo I always tap the lock with a tool handle.
make the banjo a bit more maneuverable it is really clunky compared to the oneway or Robust banjo.
Redesign the headstock to allow more turning access from the headstock side.
Add an index wheel
Make the tailstock lighter it is really clunky compared to the Oneway or robust tailstock

All in all the Powermatic 3520B is a good machine and it is a fine machine to turn on.
I'm interested to learn about the C

That's a great list! I turn on a Delta 46-460 and I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. The 3520B is my dream lathe, but I've held back for fear I would finally take the plunge and then a replacement would be announced. I am dying for details!

The "c" has a better toolpost clamp. The power switch is on a magnetic box in a recess and can be plunked on multiple surfaces. The spindle lock button is improved.

It is still 42" spindle height.

I am more in the market for a mini/midi and didn't pay much attention to the big lathes.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
They did improve the Jet 16 and showed it in Atlanta but I don't remember all the differences.
I agree with Al's list but would have added a better remote switch and it sounds like they did that.

The "c" has a better toolpost clamp. The power switch is on a magnetic box in a recess and can be plunked on multiple surfaces. The spindle lock button is improved.

It is still 42" spindle height.

I am more in the market for a mini/midi and didn't pay much attention to the big lathes.
Thank you for the insight! The 3520B is so good I wasn't expecting wholesale redesign at all but those changes sound much more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Very nice! The headstock does look a bit more svelte, and I imagine the small cone behind the spindle will be a big help by extending the workpiece a little further forward. ...and +6" of height is perfect for me!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
and I imagine the small cone behind the spindle will be a big help by extending the workpiece a little further forward.

This is a significant improvement over the 3520b, and the lack of access it had. This is one of the most important reasons I was never much interested in the 3520B model. Another great improvement is the controls can now be positioned elsewhere, rather than on the headstock itself. I've always thought controls on the headstock is one of the very worst possible locations for much of a turner's needs. Having a choice in where to locate the controls is an outstanding feature. Addition of weight is a good thing, too.

It's obvious Posermatic is listening, and acting on the input........:D

-----odie-----

I just got a brief intro. Nose tapered for better access, From the rep, spindle height is 45", 2" increase as option. Different legs, they are straight splayed, kind of at least looks more stable. Weighs a little over 700lbs. Switch can be located anywhere. New improved electronics that include digital readout of index positions, 48 positions. It had a "switch" to lock the spindle (not sure how the 3520B was). The banjo lock is the same as used on the PM 90, squeezing the post. This is better than just the screw, but IMO the Laguna is better with their design. I didn't ask price. The improvements do upgrade the 3520. The B Model is currently 20% off and at that price it would seem they would sell very well.

Looks a little bit like Ron Campbell in the background taking a look at the PM equipment.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Price keeps going up.
A few years ago at $2200 the powermatic was easily the best value big lathe on the market.
At $5000 it looses most of its price advantage over Vicmarc, Oneway, or Robust.

Many people would choose a Oneway 1640 or Vl300 which may be priced less or spend a bit more and get Oneway 2436 or a sweet 16 or AB

Many people would choose a Oneway 1640 or Vl300 which may be priced less or spend a bit more and get Oneway 2436 or a sweet 16 or AB

I did write earlier the 3520B was my dream lathe... it is for its price point. My "if money was no object" dream lathe is the Robust AB!

At $4,400 though, with these improvements, the 3520C seems to have almost all of the same features as the AB for thousands less. To me the gap is still wide enough not to spend the extra money.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I did write earlier the 3520B was my dream lathe... it is for its price point. My "if money was no object" dream lathe is the Robust AB!

At $4,400 though, with these improvements, the 3520C seems to have almost all of the same features as the AB for thousands less. To me the gap is still wide enough not to spend the extra money.
I get your point and wonder how the the powermatic will do against the Jet 1840 DVR at $3300.
Or the Jet 1840 at $3000. These both have features similar to the powermatic C. They weigh a few hundred pounds less but you can buy a lot of sandbags with the savings.

If I were in that market I'd probably go with the 1840 DVR. For less money or the
Oneway 1640 for more features at about the same price.

I'm sure powermatic will sell a bunch.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Is the Jet 1840 a solid lathe? It has been out for a year or so but I haven't read much about it.
I have not turned on one yet. I have operated both the 1840 and the 1840 DVR.
The locks are positive. The controls on the DVR are way ahead of what Nova is using.
It has the riser block height adjustment like the 3520c will have. It has a remote off switch.

I have turned quite a bit on the old jet 1640 which I find similar to the powermatic except for being lighter. I own a 1221vs the baby if the family which is a great lathe for what it is.

I would expect lots of clubs to be getting the 1840 as their demo lathe.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I'll use my 3520A till it is dead, dead, DEAD. Then I'll buy the American made American Beauty.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I bought my 3520A precisely because everything on it could be replaced with aftermarket stuff or rebuilt by a machinist. I don't see ever getting rid of mine unless I win the lottery. YOu can buy aftermarket bearings, motor, VFD and any switches and maybe the pulleys. Anything else could be built or repaired by a machinist. I was drooling over the Nova DVR at the time but realized if that motor died and the company was out of business or no longer carried the parts you would be screwed. I had owned 2 Novas up to then and love their machines but that one scared me. There have been 2 companies that sold lathes with motors similar to the Nova that did go belly up.

odie

TOTW Team
I bought my 3520A precisely because everything on it could be replaced with aftermarket stuff or rebuilt by a machinist. I don't see ever getting rid of mine unless I win the lottery. YOu can buy aftermarket bearings, motor, VFD and any switches and maybe the pulleys. Anything else could be built or repaired by a machinist. I was drooling over the Nova DVR at the time but realized if that motor died and the company was out of business or no longer carried the parts you would be screwed. I had owned 2 Novas up to then and love their machines but that one scared me. There have been 2 companies that sold lathes with motors similar to the Nova that did go belly up.

That's the way I'm feeling about my 16" swing Australian Woodfast lathe I bought new in 1992. I sometimes get the itch to get something new, and with all the latest features...... but having a hard time justifying spending the money. I do think something like a sliding headstock or increased capacity might be handy......but, those things would realistically be of advantage only once in a great while.

After 24 years of constant use, I finally had to replace the bearings last year. Since it originally came with 5-position step pulleys, I replaced that with a DC motor and VFD drive about 10 years ago.....the old Woodfast lathe is really a very substantial and dependable lathe that is likely to last as long as my body holds out......:D

If I were looking to buy another lathe, this 3520c would be a very interesting proposition, though......

Where is the Powermatic lathe made?

-----odie-----

Last edited:
First post here on this forum, good to be here.
I attended the AAW Symposium in KC and spent about an hour at the Powermatic booth asking questions and looking over the new 3520c. Pictures doesn't do this lathe justice. I was very impressed with the fit/finish and castings of this lathe. The PM Rep's informed me that the 3520c they had at the show was the preproduction model and they were taking under consideration suggestions for more improvements before final production starts. The headstock on the 3520c is slimmer due to the spindle nose cone and everything else on the headstock being sorta redesigned. The headstock casting is also heavily built. Having the movable magnetic corded lathe controls is a great plus.

The lathe bed design has changed to being much heavier due to a thicker casting and the support ribs cast into the bed at a zigzag pattern instead of a straight across pattern.

The banjo casting has been changed to eliminate the dovetail that is on the 3520b banjo casting.

Tailstock has changed to a heavier casting around the quill area. The accessory tailstock door now has a magnet to hold the door in the closed position. Also the belt change door on the headstock has the same magnet.

The cast legs on the 3520c are made different and heavier than the 3520b. The 3520c has the option of cast riser blocks for increased floor to spindle height.

I noticed the lathe bed extention on the 3520c and asked if a even longer bed extension was going to made available, was told "NO". Explanation was due to poor sales for the long, (not short), extension the 3520b.

The 3520c was not under power while I was at the Powermatic booth.

Had a good time at the show.
Gary

Welcome to AAW.....Gary

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
My PowerMatic 3520b was made in Tennessee. I think all are.

Great support also, and like John Lucas said, there are great after-market add-ons.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
No I'm pretty sure they are made in Taiwan. They are stored and shipped out of Lavergne Tennessee and the Engineers live not too far away and work there. I was told by one of the engineers that I taught that they keep a tight watch on the factory and quality control is excellent.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My PowerMatic 3520b was made in Tennessee. I think all are.

Great support also, and like John Lucas said, there are great after-market add-ons.

The original ones were made in Tennessee. but a few years before the B model came out they were substantially made in Taiwan although some assembly might have been done in Tennessee. The b models are 100% Taiwan and the inverter is Korea.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
If you want a 100% US made lathe you have to buy a used one.

Hard to follow without a scorecard who makes what where. Foreign owned companies like Budweiser, Chrysler, and Toyota make things in the US. US companies like Ford have 60% of their factories in other countries. GM has substantial foreign ownership. GE is a mystery....

Robust is made in the US from mostly US parts.("We certify all Robust products have a domestic content of over 85%." )
0neway - Canada. Vicmarc - Australia. Jet/Powermatic - Taiwan

The electricity to my home comes from a Canadian company and I live in Florida.

The original 3520 (some times called the Osolnic lathe after Rudy) was made in Tennessee. The A was then taken over seas. The new C looks nice, and the wedges for the tool rest post is a nice addition. They also mill a flat on the back of them and use set screws to keep them from rotating when you take one tool rest out and then put another one in. Some thing I have been trying to figure out how to do on my Robust. Other than that, not much more than the B model.

I am not a fan of the 'extended' housings on the headstocks. It may be nice for getting to work on the bottoms of twice turned bowls, but by extending it, you get vibration issues because it is cantilevered farther away from the base/headstock.

I did prefer the A model for speed ranges, 0 to 1500 on the low end, and 1 to 3000 on the high end though the 3200 on the B model wouldn't hurt. Mostly for bowl turning, on the low end, which is better for coring and heavy roughing, 1200 is too slow for a good part of the finish cuts I make, and on the high range, it is not as good for coring.

Still a good lathe. There is not a huge amount of competition in the lathes from 16 to 24 or 25 inch range. Best bets to me are Oneway: long bed but you can turn out board, Robust with sliding headstock, and Vicmark with the pivoting headstock. I don't like long bed lathes for bowl turning because I don't want to bend over or extend my arms way out away from my body, especially when turning out the inside of a bowl. I am looking seriously at the Vicmark...

robo hippy

Reed, I understand your concern about the extended cone or extended housing as you would call it. I had similar thoughts until I seen how much cast iron surrounds the spindle bearing area on the 3520c...looks like an inch or more in thickness. The heavier the better and should dampen any vibrations...."should" that is. Great observation on the tool rest clamp BTW.
The Vicmarc lathes looked great. Was interesting to watch one the Vicmarc demo guys turn a bowl using a bowl gouge with one hand.

Gary

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Was interesting to watch one the Vicmarc demo guys turn a bowl using a bowl gouge with one hand.

Are you talking about Stuart Batty? He has been at the Woodworkers Emporium booth at SWAT for the last three or four years doing demos on the Vicmarc and promoting his line of turning tools.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John Jordan and I got in trouble many years ago. John always does a demo with some turning using one hand to show that if the gouge is used properly it shouldn't take any force to control it. I stepped up to take a photo and just for fun John stuck the gouge in his belly button (he did have a shirt on) and turned using just his belly. We sent the photo to American Woodturner and they ran it. We got huge amounts of mail saying how dangerous and stupid that was. I heard one time that someone saw someone (boy is that vague) turning 2 beads on a spindle using a skew in each hand. I've tried turning beads with a skew with one hand. Boy talk about challenging. That was my good hand. Can't imagine trying it with my left. Maybe someday.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I was a self taught turner and in my first class Liam O'Neil observed I was holding the gouge too tightly. Liam had me turn the outside of 2 bowls one handed. Put a 12" blank on a screw turn it down or 3 inches one handed and repeat.
In case you think I'm a fast learner, a year later, in a class with David Ellsworth. David had me turn the inside of Bowl one handed.

I like to think I now have a light touch. The whole point is to allow the tool to do the work. With the bevel Locked in the tool knows where to go just let it work..

odie

TOTW Team
I don't like long bed lathes for bowl turning because I don't want to bend over or extend my arms way out away from my body, especially when turning out the inside of a bowl. I am looking seriously at the Vicmark...

The Vicmarc 300 lathe is what you are talking about, robo? That is definitely a high end lathe. Doesn't the new 3520c have a sliding headstock......and wouldn't that make the long bed a moot point? I've never had anything but a long bed, and I consider it an advantage, even in bowl turning.....specifically because of the added weight spread out over a greater distance.

As for the added cone on the spindle, wouldn't the greater overall length of the spindle, and the added distance between the bearings (inboard to outboard) increase the ability to eliminate the tendency to vibrate.....?
-----odie-----

Last edited:
Back