• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Proposed Trip Through Maine

My wife Carol and I are planning a driving trip from southwest Missouri to Maine and Quebec over the next three weeks. What unique local wood(s) will I be able to pick up in the New England area? We plan to drive our van so I will be able to pick up some items. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mark Ost at m1do@aol.com
Pineville, MO :)

there is a lot of birch in maine.. as well as various maples ..

but i say the birch there is a good place to start..

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
As long as you're going...

How about swinging by my place and hitching my 2 car lowboy trailer behind your van and picking up some wood along your travels? Getting back home to look over your collection of woods from the trip would beat pictures and fridge magnets! ;)

I'll throw in several dozen walnut, osage orange, hackberry and cherry logs for you to trade with them "locals" up there.

Oh, and bring back some lobster (we have those too .... just call them crawfish around here) and "chowda" on your way back!

There's lots of birch but a couple of local turners told me they don't like turning it. The maple is the deal.
On another subject, let me give you two hints from my trip this summer:
1. Visit Thom. Mosser studio in Maine....the studio is right by LL Bean. The actual shop is near Augusta. Great furniture out of amazing cherry. Also they have a bunch of really nice bowls.
2. The bowls are mostly made by Dave Lancaster who lives outside of Augusta. His shop is worth the trip. He is truly a production bowl turner. His email and address is in the AAW directory.
3 Right outside of Rockland, there is the Maine Institure for Fine Furniture (or something like that). It is the brain-child of Peter Korn, well-known furniture maker, who has classes going constantly as well as a year long apprentice program. Again worth the time.
Enjoy my favorite place to play. Get by Acadia National Park for the most beautiful scenary and Deer Isle/Stonington for local color.
David Galloway
Atlanta, GAW

The maple really is the prize up here (I'm in Boston). Any chance you're going to be hitting eastern Mass? If so, I'll show ya some wood. Another thing you'll find up here if you know where to look is Yew. Yup, the little shrub that grows in your front yard. Turns out (heh, heh) that it basically lives forever and keeps growing. You'll (yew'll?) find Yew all over Ireland and England that is 2-3" in diameter. Since this area has been settled for over 250 years, there are some big ones here too. It's also a good area for Box Elder, Sycamore, and several elms and aspens. Personally, I love turning Birch. It gets blue stain and spalt if ya look at it and can really look cool.

If you're going to drop by MA, send me a note.

Dietrich

dietrich

i am just outside boston myself.. you'll have to drop me a line on where i can find some of that nice wood you mentioned.. any pointers and tips will be greatly appreciated..

also,

if your heading up to maine, and want to hit a truely great view with an awesome resturant head up to bailey island (just outside brunswick) and
hit cooks awesome seafood and a great view..

i plead the fifth on that one, not sure which group of "suspects" but will

take you up on your offer..

thanks

Proposed Trip Thkrough Maine

Thanks for all of the replies. Plan to start from southwest Misssouri this next Monday. Will go through St. Louis accross the country thro Indianapolis, NJ, NY, Mass etc into Maine. Papa Coc appreciate the suggestions of Mosser Stukdio, Dave Lancaster and Maine Institute for Furniture. Will cheack those out. Dietrich, I will be going through Boston. The Yew sounds interesting. Anw woods from our area that you would like? We have box elder, hackberry, sycamore, walnut, etc. I may give you a call if and when we get there.

Mark Ost :p

Hi Mark,

We've got Box elder and Walnut up here. Most interested in things I can't get. Osage Orange, Pecan, big Holly, that kinda thing.

I'm from Memphis originally (with family in southern Arkansas) and have to resist bringing back logs on the plane every time I go down to visit.

Burls are, of course, always desired.

Actually, one thing I'd be interested that is easilly transportable would be Oak Galls. Those are the balls that grow on small branches due to insect infection. Don't know if they're turnable but wanna try. One or two of those would be cool (asked my dad to bring one when he visited but he thought I was joking and didn't).

Have a nice trip and drop me a line when you're up this way. Will send you my number on a private mail (upper right corner of screen).

Take care, Dietrich

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
You bet

dkulze said:
Hi Mark,
Actually, one thing I'd be interested that is easilly transportable would be Oak Galls. Those are the balls that grow on small branches due to insect infection. Don't know if they're turnable but wanna try.
They certainly are turnable. But, just like any growth of that nature (burls, etc.) they can be fairly hollow and/or mushy on the inside and you won't know until you turn it down a bit. But, I've turned many of them. They can be really solid, if a bit small. Would make nice lids and pulls though.

Don't know if Mark has any of those but I don't anymore. Need to look around for more of them.

Maine Wood Woods

Birch stop by I will give you all you can haul off, Poplar, Ambrosia Maple, Spalted Maple, Fiddle back maple, maple burl. Bring your chain saw. Stop where ever you see wood being cut and ask. UHaul has trailers ya know.

Hi, Andrew.

Grew up in Memphis and galls are all over the trees down there. Used to throw them at each other as a kid.

Gonna try to get dad to send me a box. I've broken them open before and imagine they'd be gorgeous turned.

dietrich

Proposed Trip Thro Maine

Just a short note to thank all of you who made recommendations for our recent trip thro Maine. We had a wonderful time and traveled about 4,500 miles, getting as far as Bar Harbor and surrounding Acadia Park. We had perfect weather.

Papa Doc, we did get to the Thomas Moser Furniture Outlet in Rockport. Incredible furniture! Saw the bowls that you mentioned, turned by Dave Lancaster, and had a chance visit his impressive workshop outside of Agusta, ME. Spent two wonderful hours with David and picked up loads of "wood turning pearls". David is most tallented and very willing to share his experiences and tips. He has many! He will be demonstrating at next years AAW meeting in Kansas City. Any of you who go should meet him and listen to what he can teach. He is featured on the Oneway CD advertising the OneWay Bowl Saver, and apparently has worked with OneWay to develop many of their special products, such as their impressive vacuum system. David turns mostly using vacuum chucks.

Dietrich in ME was so solicitious on my visit to his home town. We spent about an hour one night in the motel parking lot showing each other our productions. He does beautiful work and also has many wood working tips to share. I really appreciated meeting him after reading many of his posts in this forum. He also shared some Maine lumber with me. Thanks again Dietrich.

We spent almost a week on our favorite ME location - Bailey Island. The sea food and environs were fantastic. Cook's Seafood resturant is great.

Once again, thanks to all who contributed to our recent trip.

Mark Ost
Pineville, MO :)

Mark, I am so glad you made the trip and met Dave. What an interesting set up! I hope he gave you a Harley ride! Maine is my favorite place to visit. I hope to live there in retirement but that is wishful thinking!
Blessings,
David

Hey, Mark.

Was a pleasure having you here and wished you'd been able to stay a bit. Enjoyed talking with you very much. Your pieces are also great. Good form and proportion.

Haven't gotten to the peconcrete or osage you brought me but the yard sale was a success and the garage is now ready for renovation into my new shop.

Glad you had a good trip.

Take care and come again,
Dietrich

Back