• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question on Tormek sharpening based on wood type

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Question for the group relative to the use of Tormek sharpening : do you change the way you sharpen your turning tools, based on the wood to be turned ? What about, based on the the wood's grain orientation ?

It seems to me that there are three choices that could be pursued:

1. sharpen on the SB stone only (I reference the SB stone only due to the fact that most of us use high speed steel tools)
- resharpen by returning to the SB stone

2. sharpen on the SB stone, and then hone on the leather wheel
- rehone as often as possible

3. sharpen on the SB stone, then finish the edge on a SJ stone
- resharpen by returning to the SJ stone stone as often as possible

My thoughts are :
  • use option 1 when roughing out a log to shape[/li]
Then, based on the wood type :
  • really dense wood : after the shape is pretty well defined, use option 3, especially for the final passes
  • less dense wood : after the shape is pretty well defined, use option 1 or 2. Depending on the wood and grain direction, you'll probably have to use scrapers and sand a bit, so option 1 may be best.
  • soft wood : stay with option 1 : You're gonna have to sand lots anyway.
I'm interested in your thoughts.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have used a Tormek for about 18 years and have only used the standard gray stone (SG-250). According to Tormek, the Japanese stone (SJ-250) is mainly for woodcarvers who want to get a super fine thin edge on their tools. I think that the primary goal is to make cutting the wood easier rather than getting a smooth surface in the wood. For woodturning I think that the edge from the gray stone is adequate. I have thought about getting the blackstone, but don't know what I would be giving up in edge quality. Now, I think that instead of the blackstone, I would be more inclined to get a CBN wheel for either the Tormek or the dry grinder. The idea of swapping out grinding wheels for different operations doesn't appeal to me. If a tool is sharp then it doesn't matter what the wood happens to be. And, if the tool isn't sharp, it needs to be sharpened whether you're turning soft green wood or hard dry dusty wood.

I don't always use the leather honing wheel, but for the skew and bedan it is essential in getting a really keen edge. The leather honing wheel polishes the bevel and removes the wire edge, but calling it a hone is a bit of a misnomer because it can't be used to refresh a slightly dulled edge. For doing that, I use a diamond slipstone that I got from Alan Lacer.

BTW, the standard gray stone sharpens HSS woodturning tools just fine. I can sharpen most of my tools (except for the skew) just about as fast as when using a dry grinder.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I rarely use my Tormek for sharpening turning tools. Mostly it's for sharpening my carving tools and plane and chisel blades. I do use the hone a lot on my skews. For skews I rarely sharpen, just hone frequently. I use a 180 grit CBN wheel on a slow speed grinder for most of my sharpening.
I do have gouges sharpened at more acute angles for woods that won't cut clean of for final passes across the bowl or mirror. I also use the Hunter tools for final clean up since they cut cleaner and of course you don't need a grinder to sharpen those because they can't be sharpened.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use my tormek only on skews. The leather wheel to strop the edge
And standard wheel when needed.

While the tormek is about the best sharpening system out there it is. It my first choice for turning tools. An 8" grinder is faster does a more than acceptable edge and to use it I just turn the switch.

:) Filling and cleaning the water tray is too much like work..... :)

I use the same grinds on tools except for occasionally changing a bowl gouge bevel angle So it can follow a curve.
I cut beads on bowls with a 30 degree bevel on a spindle gouge.
Sometimes when teaching I might have the student use a 60 degree bevel on a detail gouge to turn beads. The second tool being easier to control and a bit stiffer. Two different tools rather than changing one tool.

Back