• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quick advice on glue task needed

A friend has made a padauk handle for a large pizza paddle, wants to know if Titebond would work to hold the inserted handle-tang in the receiver. I'm thinking it could do the job, but wondering if epoxy would be preferable. Your opinions?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Epoxy would be much better. Yellow wood glue is for gluing wood to wood or other similar porous materials like MDF, paper, and fabric by penetrating the fibers. Whenever I have managed to drip wood glue on turning tools, clamps, tablesaw top, Formica countertop, or lathe bed it is pretty easy to remove by prying it up with a knife after it dries.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Agree.....epoxy for metal to wood. The bond can be made even stronger....."forever strong".....by putting notches or grooves in the inserted rod to the wood handle. This creates little "pockets" of hardened glue between rod and wood handle.

-----odie-----

Epoxy is great, but heat can be it's downfall. If this paddle will live in a typical home and be used casually, no problem. But, if this will be a working pizza paddle that lives by a commercial oven, that epoxy might soften up on him.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If there is heat it will break down the epoxy
You might use pins
A tight jamb fit of the handle over the paddle shaft may be all that is needed.
For more security drill a couple holes and use wood or brass pins.

Imjamb fit my turning tools in wooden handles rarely glue them and the only when they come loose a few drop of thick CA holds them.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Some good advice. If that handle grain doesn't run in the same direction as the paddle then Odie's suggestion is what I do. I take a dremel with a course cutter and make score marks inside the mortise. Then I cut small nicks in the tenon with the bandsaw. The epoxy then forms little plastic dowels when it cures and keeps the handle from coming out. If heat is a possibility I would drill a small hole through the side of the paddle and into the tenon. I use a 1/8" drill bit and 1/8" brass brazing rod. Drive the rod in with some glue and then cut it off and file it flush. Looks great and guarantees the handle won't come off.

Back