• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quicker Ebonizing Solution

I've been working on some oak pieces, and ran out of my old steel wool ebonising solution. I was also out of steel wool. I decided to try an experiment - instead of steel wool, I used a magnet to pick up all of the dust/filings at my grinder. I added them to white vinegar, and voila! A clean grinder station, and nice, dark ebonising solution in less than 24 hours. I *think* it was faster to make because the dust was so fine.

Anyway, there's my tip: recycle your tool grinding dust into ebonising juice.

Hmmm, what the human mind can achieve! Pick up the dust with a coffee filter on the magnet- remove the magnet and the dust falls off.
Have to try it. Something new in color as I have lots of pecan and oak.

My parents used to live in Belleville.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like John, If I want black it is hard to beat marine Corp black leather dye.
However is can be fun to experiment with oaks using the iron stains and some of the fuming techniques.

I may try your suggestion. I have a stash of oak an lots of steel on the magnets attached to my grinder to catch them.

I tried india ink once and will never go back. it takes hard maple and makes it almost indistinguishable from ebony. and the ink can be bought in a bottle and brushed on or applied tenderly with an ink pen.

Back